Backstory in the post - which school would you choose?

• Total voters
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
My school list is mostly rural or only minor cities and I would like to have at least 2 in 'the city' kind of thing. I already have U Chicago, but thinking with a family in mind (Public schools, safety, COL, ease of access, etc. etc.) as well as the school itself, which school would you choose?

PS. I know, no Manhatten schools.

May 1, 2019
The Lake Nona area where UCF is is fairly family oriented. Lake Nona public schools are supposed to be good too, and the entire place is ~25 min away from Orlando. La Jolla where UCSD is is the same way.

Apr 23, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Stony Brook and Hofstra will not provide you that “in the city” feel the way metropolises or even mid-size cities will. Stony Brook is very suburban, having interviewed there. It’s up to you on whether the Bronx will provide the familial support that you want, but given your previous thread and current request I feel like Northwestern is not only the best choice but also your only viable option of the four.

kuzy

2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2016
Status
521 MCAT and a veteran? That's quite the powerful combination haha I think Northwestern is the best out of your options, both for ranking and then I also noticed that you mentioned safety being concern in your WashU thread. As a big city Chicago can inherently be a dangerous place, but you would not be able to find a safer area than the gold coast/northshore, especially when compared to where U of Chicago is on the south side. Also thank you for your service!

May 1, 2019
Also just saying, there's probably a steep paucity of applicants who have served (Thank you!), and have a 3.65/3.99/521 cGPA/sGPA/MCAT.

Jun 12, 2014
Definitely Northwestern. It's a very safe area I would be more than comfortable having a child living in.

Reactions: Philosopher Jagger
OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
521 MCAT and a veteran? That's quite the powerful combination haha I think Northwestern is the best out of your options, both for ranking and then I also noticed that you mentioned safety being concern in your WashU thread. As a big city Chicago can inherently be a dangerous place, but you would not be able to find a safer area than the gold coast/northshore, especially when compared to where U of Chicago is on the south side. Also thank you for your service!
The issue with Northwestern is that they only provide $1200 a month towards rent COA in an area that a 2 bedroom is $2700 and there are no schools within 4 miles of it. Would Northwestern just be the best if I lived at a distance (further north) and just commuted via public transit?

OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Definitely Northwestern. It's a very safe area I would be more than comfortable having a child living in.

Source: I live in Chicago. :)
The northwestern issue is cost and school proximities I guess

kuzy

2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2016
Status
Also what's the rest of your school list look like? I would think that as a veteran with a 521/3.99 you can apply literally wherever you want

OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Also what's the rest of your school list look like? I would think that as a veteran with a 521/3.99 you can apply literally wherever you want
I can apply wherever I want which I didn’t anticipate lol hence why I have like 8 posts in the last week about school lists, because I don’t know any part of the US very well except for WA, TX and OK o_O

OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Why no Manhattan schools? Cost of living?
Cost of living, yah. There is guaranteed family housing at most places, but they are all still like 1500-2400 for a 550 sqft apartment that is somehow 2 bedroom. That is a transition I cannot make.

To put in perspective, I live in a 1200 sq ft all utilities/cable/internet included for 750 a month and my first house Was 2400 sqft on a half acre that I purchased for 140K...I know I will obviously have to downsize into a city, but those numbers ^^^ are too much of an adjustment.

Also, the Manhattan public schools are either not good or you have to live in the expensive neighborhoods.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018
Status
Cost of living, yah. There is guaranteed family housing at most places, but they are all still like 1500-2400 for a 550 sqft apartment that is somehow 2 bedroom. That is a tranisition I cannot make.

To put in perspective, I live in a 1200 sq ft all utilities/cable/internet included for 750 a month and my first house Was 2400 sqft on a half acre that I purchased for 140K...I know I will obviously have to downsize into a city, but those numbers ^^^ are too much of an adjustment.

Also, the Manhattan school are either not good or you have to live in the expensive neighborhoods.
There are bad med schools in Manhattan?? Thought it was just Sinai/Cornell/NYU

Jun 29, 2018
Status
Why no Manhattan schools? Cost of living?
And also because in NYC, if your kid doesn't score well enough to get into one of the specialized public high schools or Hunter College High School, they're most likely gonna be stuck in an underfunded public school unless you're willing to shell out $50k/year for private school tuition.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: StanleyYelnats

kuzy

2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2016
Status
The issue with Northwestern is that they only provide $1200 a month towards rent COA in an area that a 2 bedroom is $2700 and there are no schools within 4 miles of it. Would Northwestern just be the best if I lived at a distance (further north) and just commuted via public transit?
I can apply wherever I want which I didn’t anticipate lol hence why I have like 8 posts in the last week about school lists, because I don’t know any part of the US very well except for WA, TX and OK o_O
Yea I can see that. I think you'll get quite a lot of merit aid from some schools though so COL might not end up being much of a factor. It will probably come down to whatever school you click with during interviews that is the best fit for you and your family. Since Manhattan is out of the question, when considering rank, safety, and COL I think some good options for schools in larger cities would be upenn, vandy, university of washington, baylor, and northwestern.

Last edited:
OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
And also because in NYC, if your kid doesn't score well enough to get into one of the specialized public high schools or Hunter College High School, they're most likely gonna be stuck in an underfunded public school unless you're willing to shell out $50k/year for private school tuition.
Thankfully my daughter will just be PK-6th grade during MD/residency, but that is the time frame that is most crucial to build her excitement for learning and the like. And nah, if I can make it from the poorest elementary school in my state to where I a at now, she can go with a good, tuition free public school lol But school quality is still high in my books.

OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Yea I can see that. I think you'll get quite a lot of merit aid from some schools though so COL might not end up being much of a factor. It will probably come down to whatever school you click with during interviews that is the best fit for you and your family. Since Manhattan is out of the question, when considering rank, safety, and COL I think some good options for schools in larger cities would be upenn, vandy, university of washington, baylor, and northwestern.
Merit aid? The MCAT and sGPA are good, but my research is meh (600ish hours and 3 posters) and the cGPA is meh. Although even if I get a full right at some places, the max COA allowance doesn't even cover a 2 bedroom apartment, or even the 2 bedroom university housing (UCSF, Stanford, Northwestern, Dartmouth, Harvard....) more important for me than COL is school provided COA relative to COL of the area.

OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Also, is it just me or are y'all highly overestimating the capabilities of a guy with a burning Elmo as his avatar?

Apr 23, 2018
Status
Not among your four options but I’d also look into Penn. The area in West Philly immediately west to Penn is safe and family friendly, having lived there for a few years. The Philly suburbs are also options as well.

Reactions: IMGASMD
OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Not among your four options but I’d also look into Penn. The area in West Philly immediately west to Penn is safe and family friendly, having lived there for a few years. The Philly suburbs are also options as well.
I added Penn after taking off jefferson. Downside to penn: My cGPA is Juuuuust left of their 10%.

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Being from the ‘burbs, I like it here. There are areas on the other sides of Penn that aren’t the safest...

gonnif

Only 562 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Stony Brook and Hofstra will not provide you that “in the city” feel the way metropolises or even mid-size cities will. Stony Brook is very suburban, having interviewed there. It’s up to you on whether the Bronx will provide the familial support that you want, but given your previous thread and current request I feel like Northwestern is not only the best choice but also your only viable option of the four.
I agree with all above:

1) Stony Brook is a two hour train ride to manhattan and med school is on the way, way other side of the campus from the station. Having gone/worked at Stony Brook, the public schools in 3 village district are great and area is nice but suburban

2) Hofstra is much closer to manhattan but still an hour away, the area near campus is bad suburban with crappy schools

3) einstein is in”da Bronx” and that aint manhattan. The public schools are crappy and the area aint all that great

OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Being from the ‘burbs, I like it here. There are areas on the other sides of Penn that aren’t the safest...
All I know about West Philadelphia is from the Fresh Prince of bel-air and WHYY's "You bet your garden" (Sunday's at 11 on NPR). Please, do enlighten.

OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree with all above:

1) Stony Brook is a two hour train ride to manhattan and med school is on the way, way other side of the campus from the station. Having gone/worked at Stony Brook, the public schools in 3 village district are great and area is nice but suburban
Honestly, the burbs are city enough for me. Would you recommend stonybrook over any of my other schools of equivalent or lower caliber (as far as both area and the med school itself) - Cincinnati, Creighton, Ohio state, Pitt, UCLA, UMich, UWisconsin, Dartmouth, WestMich

kuzy

2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2016
Status
Merit aid? The MCAT and sGPA are good, but my research is meh (600ish hours and 3 posters) and the cGPA is meh. Although even if I get a full right at some places, the max COA allowance doesn't even cover a 2 bedroom apartment, or even the 2 bedroom university housing (UCSF, Stanford, Northwestern, Dartmouth, Harvard....) more important for me than COL is school provided COA relative to COL of the area.
A 99th percentile MCAT and sGPA isn't just good, its stratospheric. Add veteran status to boot, and I think you'll have plenty of high tier options even with the lower cGPA. Also 3 posters is very good for research if they were at conferences rather than your home university. That COA issue doesn't sound great though, what schools on your list have the best school provided COA for housing?

Also, is it just me or are y'all highly overestimating the capabilities of a guy with a burning Elmo as his avatar?
And no I don't think we are. You've accomplished a lot to get where you are, I'd aim high if I were you :)

kuzy

2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2016
Status
Honestly, the burbs are city enough for me. Would you recommend stonybrook over any of my other schools of equivalent or lower caliber (as far as both area and the med school itself) - Cincinnati, Creighton, Ohio state, Pitt, UCLA, UMich, UWisconsin, Dartmouth, WestMich
I'd drop Creighton and Western Michigan

OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Also 3 posters is very good for research if they were at conferences rather than your home university.
All three were at my home university. I was supposed to present 2 of them at NCUR this year, but my university withdrew travel funding even though both abstracts were accepted :/ Damn budget cuts.

Last edited:
OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree with all above:

How is COL in that area? Being further out on Long Island is it high(er)?

Apr 23, 2018
Status
I lived in Madison for a year (re: University of Wisconsin). This is hands down an absolutely amazing place to raise a family and it is generally ranked among the top cities in the country to do so. The area is safe, education system is strong, there is a mix of suburban and urban, also low COL although this has recently slowly risen in the past few years. I’d personally also rate UW as a better school than Stony Brook but that is my biased opinion. If you had listed UW in your original poll I’d have voted that over Northwestern.

Edit: misread your post, UW is already on your list.

Reactions: MemeLord
OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I lived in Madison for a year (re: University of Wisconsin). This is hands down an absolutely amazing place to raise a family and it is generally ranked among the top cities in the country to do so. The area is safe, education system is strong, there is a mix of suburban and urban, also low COL although this has recently slowly risen in the past few years. I’d personally also rate UW as a better school than Stony Brook but that is my biased opinion. If you had listed UW in your original poll I’d have voted that over Northwestern.

Both UWash and UWis! Thank you for the feedback on Madison.

Apr 23, 2018
Status
Both UWash and UWis! Thank you for the feedback on Madison.
Ah I forgot that UW is Washington as well. One caveat upon coming to Madison is that the “real” UW is the Wisconsin school ;)

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
All I know about West Philadelphia is from the Fresh Prince of bel-air and WHYY's "You bet your garden" (Sunday's at 11 on NPR). Please, do enlighten.
Well, there was a reason why Will Smith had to move to Bel Air... lol

kuzy

2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2016
Status
All three were at my home university. I was supposed to present 2 of them at NCUR this year, but my university withdrew travel funding after both abstracts were accepted :/
Ahh, I see. That's still pretty good though so I don't think it will hold you back!

Yea, I was thinking schools like Wisconsin, Michigan, and Mayo Clinic would be a great fit if OP doesn't mind a smaller city.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
As I from New York and knew those schools well, I cant speak to living areas at these others except for Dartmouth which is barely suburbs.

Creighton and WMich seem considerable lower than SB

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
How is COL in that area? Being further out on Long Island is it high(er)?
Its all expensive. Stony Brook University has reasonable priced apartment complex.

OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
As I from New York and knew those schools well, I cant speak to living areas at these others except for Dartmouth which is barely suburbs.

Creighton and WMich seem considerable lower than SB
Dartmouth is barely even a town lol But the public schools and hiking are fantastic.

So the SB area is expensive, but would it be manageable on COA for a family of 3/spouse find a job in the burbs without too much of a commute?

Also, is my assessment of the Manhattan schools accurate?

And as far as creighton/WMich goes, my wife really likes the idea of Omaha. I can probably swap out WMich for Stonybrook.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
My school list is mostly rural or only minor cities and I would like to have at least 2 in 'the city' kind of thing. I already have U Chicago, but thinking with a family in mind (Public schools, safety, COL, ease of access, etc. etc.) as well as the school itself, which school would you choose?

PS. I know, no Manhatten schools.
Having grown up on Long Island, I can tell you that Both Hofstra and SUNY SB are out in the 'burbs. You'll need the LIRR to get into the City.

OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Having grown up on Long Island, I can tell you that Both Hofstra and SUNY SB are out in the 'burbs. You'll need the LIRR to get into the City.
I guess what I meant by "the city" was an area with a population greater than a couple million in a smallish land area. Biggest place I have ever lived was San Antonio, and that was at a time that I was both on active duty and doing 40 Semester hours in 5 and a half months....So I really have no clue what city life is like.

I guess, what are your perspectives on Hofstra and stonybrook (As far as the areas are concerned)?Or even the Manhatten schools.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I guess what I meant by "the city" was an area with a population greater than a couple million in a smallish land area. Biggest place I have ever lived was San Antonio, and that was at a time that I was both on active duty and doing 40 Semester hours in 5 and a half months....So I really have no clue what city life is like.

I guess, what are your perspectives on Hofstra and stonybrook (As far as the areas are concerned)?Or even the Manhatten schools.
All of the NYC area schools are fine, except for Touro-NY.

OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
All of the NYC area schools are fine, except for Touro-NY.
Would you recommend any of them to a student that prioritizes family over personal success/presitige?

OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Ahh, I see. That's still pretty good though so I don't think it will hold you back!

Yea, I was thinking schools like Wisconsin, Michigan, and Mayo Clinic would be a great fit if OP doesn't mind a smaller city.
Will it be viewed in any positive manner that all of this has been just since January of 2018 and one of them is my own project?

Also, All 3 on my list! When I did a Combat hospital simulation at Mayo I absolutely loved the facilities available (granted, I was only there for like a week). The town of Rochester though is basically just Mayo clinic surrounded by bars and restaurants surrounded by housing lol

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical

kuzy

2+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2016
Status
Will it be viewed in any positive manner that all of this has been just since January of 2018 and one of them is my own project?
Definitely! That's over a year of research in the same lab, and you have your own project rather than running PCR for a grad student haha That's pretty good, even for some of the research power houses on your list.

Also, All 3 on my list! When I did a Combat hospital simulation at Mayo I absolutely loved the facilities available (granted, I was only there for like a week). The town of Rochester though is basically just Mayo clinic surrounded by bars and restaurants surrounded by housing lol
Nice! I've definitely heard Rochester is a bit boring :laugh: Could be a good place for your family while in school though with low COL

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018
Just a heads-up, Northwestern (Feinberg) doesn’t offer merit scholarship beyond full tuition. Living expenses are on you and loans max out at what is budgeted (which in my opinion, is not enough money to live comfortably in one of the most expensive neighborhoods of Chicago).

OP
MemeLord
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Just a heads-up, Northwestern (Feinberg) doesn’t offer merit scholarship beyond full tuition. Living expenses are on you and loans max out at what is budgeted (which in my opinion, is not enough money to live comfortably in one of the most expensive neighborhoods of Chicago).
With Feinberg/northern Chicago, is it feasible to live a few miles out at COA and commute via transit?