DO I want to apply! but do I have any chance...3.0/3.0 35MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hanadool

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a bad GPA. I am also Canadian so I don't have the luxury of applying to some of the newer DO schools I believe. But if I have a chance of getting into any DO school I would really like to apply. Also a factor of note is that I can't submit my primary application until probably end of september due to last couple courses to be completed in August for repeat.
What do you guys think? Do I have any chance at any school?

Members don't see this ad.

I feel you'd have a better chance if you took a few more classes and wait to apply very early next year.

I agree... Retake some classes and boost it up as high as you can. You're better off applying next year (assuming your Mcat score doesn't expire). Of your Mcat score does expire, apply this year. Phenom Mcat score btw!

What you can also do is experiment by applying to select schools you think you have a shot at getting accepted. Applying to 5 schools can't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the rest, wait till next cycle to apply once you've taken the courses and have a better application. The average for Canadians is much higher. You have a strong mcat, but your GPA is too low for internationals

I disagree. I think you should just try applying this year. There are schools like touro-ny that would kill for that score, even if from a Canadian. How much higher would the GPA be after the retakes?

I've seen Canadians with way higher GPAs(3.8,3.9) and comparable MCATs, OP would need to get the GPA at least up to 3.5 to compete against them, Canadians are super competitive i think because their own medical schools are the hardest to get into!

I think with that MCAT score, you will get in somewhere. Also, what did you do your undergrad in? Some undgrad degrees are more vigorous compared to others, and I know many schools take that into consideration.

"I know many schools take that into consideration."

What schools are these? I've never heard of schools doing that...

"I know many schools take that into consideration."

What schools are these? I've never heard of schools doing that...

I know a few engineers with sub 3.0 gpas and a decent enough MCAT (30-32) that got more than their share of interviews and acceptances. Again, my point is that some degrees are just way harder than your generic bio pre med major. Some adcoms know and understand this, while others stick to more rigid gpa cut offs.

My degree is way hardet than a bio premed too, maybe that will help! But afaik, to get an interview, they will just look at gpa/mcat or if amazing ec. Otherwise, who has time to look at the type of courses you take? I know many engineers who's classes arent that hard either, etc, lots of variability

My degree is way hardet than a bio premed too, maybe that will help! But afaik, to get an interview, they will just look at gpa/mcat or if amazing ec. Otherwise, who has time to look at the type of courses you take? I know many engineers who's classes arent that hard either, etc, lots of variability

*Shakes fist at civil engineers*

Reactions: 1 user
While some adcoms or members of adcoms may be perceived to give some slack, the tremendous rate of growth of the DO applicant pool outstrips the growth of DO seats, thus making it much more competitive (in terms of applicant to seat ratio) and thus more selective in terms of GPA and MCAT. This is also affected by the perception of the difficulty of getting into MD which is driving many formerly MD candidates to DO applications.

My point is it aint as easy as it used to be and adcoms are becoming more selective in offering acceptances

Internationals have to be above average than us American applicants, and only a few schools take them.

I think with that MCAT score, you will get in somewhere. Also, what did you do your undergrad in? Some undgrad degrees are more vigorous compared to others, and I know many schools take that into consideration.
Just curious, when you say" Some undergrad degrees are more vigorous compared to others, and I know many schools take that into consideration," where are you getting this information/fact from? From what I've recently read US med schools don't really care too much about Ugrad major/attended school.

I could really use some of that, "consideration," considering I am a biochem B.S. maj0r, national average gpa is around a 2.7, and I'll probably end up finishing on the lower side (3.1-3.3) If schools take into account the difficulty of the degree/where you went to undergrad that would be great, but what is your source for that statement??
Thanks!