I want to apply to dental school BUT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KiwiTeawi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know the first thing about how the applications process works.
Checked out some predental books but they were mostly outdated.

Where can I find stuff on the DATs, application timeline, process, etc? Is it too late to apply for Fall 2005? When do schools start accepting applications? When should the DAT be taken by?

Sorry... I'm full of questions now. If anyone could help me out or lead me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

You will find all the advice you need here on SDN, just use the search option. These web sites might help you out also.....

For application information
www.adea.org

For DAT infiormation
www.ada.org

Hope this Helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
to the OP:

The short version:

The application cycle for Fall 2005 starts this May, so you are in time for that.

Take your DAT as soon as you can, submit your AADSAS application late May/early June, make sure you got your letters of recommendations ready to go. The sooner your application file is complete, the sooner the schools will consider you.

Question for you: I noticed your posts in the MD forums. You sure you want to go into dentistry? Before you make the substancial investment in time, money and effort, make sure it's a career choice you won't be miserable with.

HTH.

Tom is becoming the SDN police over here....checking out other forums, eh!!......hey tom, why havent you chimed in on the NY state GPR madatory talk within the Columbia thread? Im interested to hear your opinion on this topic.

For the OP....first of all, take ToothMonkeys advice and BUY THAT BOOK!! That is the only book you should buy.....not any other book that claims to have the "key to success" in dental applications.

Also, check out the sticky thread with the FAQ in it started by Gavin. Here is the link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=95878

To the OP:

If you haven't taken the DAT yet, then you might need to visit http://www.scholarware.com , and purchase the TopScore DAT CD (US or CANADIAN version - depending where you are). This is a very useful CD to practice and prepare for the test. The National Average DAT scores might have risen last cycle, so a good score these days would be 18+ on all sections. Get 20's and you are the MAN! (or Woman!) ;)

Good Luck

to Avingupta:

Moi the SDN police? I thought that was Dr. Mom's job! :laugh:

Seriously though, I just thought to provide a bit of guidance for the OP before he spends upwards of $100,000 getting into something he won't like.

I refuse to be dragged into another fight in that stupid thread... Which is why I'm not going to touch it with a 10-ft. cattle prod. :D

My take on the NYS PGY1 requirement starting in 2007? I am ambivalent. On one hand, more training of course is a good thing. On the other hand, NYS is going to drive away a lot of new dentists with this requirement-- Each year, NY dental schools graduate 500+ dentists, and there are nowhere near enough PGY1 spots in NYS for half of these new dentists. That means they have to relocate to other states to do a PGY1 first, and there are no guarantees they will come back.

Personally, I'm glad I'm missing that boat!

UBTom

Come on man, be reasonable. You got 2 weeks left of Dental School - don't take it out on me. :)

Thanks for your advice, guys. I appreciate it.

Can you submit the application before you take the DAT? After that, how long do I have to take the DAT?

TomUB, regarding your question-I decided against med school because I realized that was something I didn't really want to do. Medicine would probably have been a career choice I would have regretted whereas dentistry...I have this weird fascination with teeth some reason. I don't know why the thought of pursuing dental school never occurred to me before. Possibly the reputation it has among premeds of being a fall-back for those who didn't make it to medical school, which trust me, is not my reasoning. Maybe it's because I have this underlying fear of dentists and couldn't imagine becoming one. :)

UBTom said:
tOn the other hand, NYS is going to drive away a lot of new dentists with this requirement-- Each year, NY dental schools graduate 500+ dentists, and there are nowhere near enough PGY1 spots in NYS for half of these new dentists. That means they have to relocate to other states to do a PGY1 first, and there are no guarantees they will come back.

There are enough GPR spots in New York state to accomodate every New York dental school graduate. At least that's what NYSDA told us when they came to speak about their new legislation at an ASDA annual session in 2002. I never counted, I figured they did. And with all the spots in the Bronx and other parts of NYC going unfilled, I wouldn't be surprised if they are right.

Sorry to detract from this thread.

To the OP, stick around SDN. There are some very good people that can help you with the pre-dent process.

Well, NYU alone is going to graduate 320 students a year, plus another 40-50 from Columbia. Throw in another 30-40 from Stony Brook.

Are there 400 GPR/AEGD spots in the NYC area... Or even 200? That sounds way too high to me. I remember looking at the list of GPR programs that participate in match from the ADEA website back last year when I was thinking of applying and there weren't *that* many. And as a matter of fact NYS has been *losing* GPR programs-- Like the one at Bellevue which closed up shop in 2002.

And I'm not sure how one can reasonably expect someone from say NYU (used to living it up in NYC!) to come up to do the GPR program out in the boondocks at St. Luke's-Faxton at Utica, for instance. :D

I think the fact that there were plenty of unfilled spots last year after match also speaks volumes as to how new dental graduates view the programs-- Forcing them go to into those is bound to turn lots of them off to practicing in NYS.

I'm still ambivalent. Personally I think it might make it unattractive for new NY dental school grads to stay here, especially if the surrounding states do not adopt the same mandatory PGY1 policy.

UBTom

Look at you - "Dr. Tom Hong, DDS", not until the last day of the class buddy! :)