I want to attend Medical School -

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vramos

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone:

Here's information about me: I'm a 30 year old married female (no kids - nor plan to have any) and I work full time as a paralegal. I have been working as a paralegal in personal injury for the past 6 years. I graduated from Cal Poly Pomona with a B.S. in Business Management in 2015. My g.p.a. was not that great - I ended up graduating with a 2.95 gpa - I had severe depression the last year of college.

I entered the legal field because I wanted to pursue law but it isn't the field for me - I honestly have no idea why I ended up here.

Working in the personal injury field and also being involved in two accidents myself has peaked my interest again in the field of medicine. I want to be a doctor because I want to help people. I care about people and I want them to help them with their health and wellness. I don't have any experience in medicine - I summarize medical records at work, set up appointments for independent medical examinations and retain experts. Prior to working in the legal field, I worked at a dental office as a receptionist with dental assistant responsibilities for about 7 years. On a side note, I also dislike my job. I don't like sitting all day, not being able to talk anyone. I stayed in the legal field as a paralegal because of the pay but the paycheck is no longer making me happy. I earn close to $80K before taxes but it's just not worth it anymore for me.

Should I enroll in a formal or diy post-bacc program? I took a Gen Chem 1 class and received a B - I am planing to take it again. I took it at SCUHS in 4 weeks while working 60 hours a week which wasn't a good idea.

Should I switch jobs to a position in the medical field? Medical scribe? I know I am going to take a big giant decrease in pay and that is fine with me because I want to make my dream come true. I want to be able to focus in school and earn A's but also gain experience at the same time.

Members don't see this ad.

What comes to mind is formal career-changer post-bac! They got research, shadowing, volunteering, letter of recommendation, and mcat resources for someone starting fresh like you. Plenty of people have made it through this route - I suggest researching post-bacs like these with linkages to medical school.

Although this will not be an easy journey, it is doable.

Thoughts @Goro

Reactions: 1 user
first of all, DO NOT RETAKE A B. I would suggest taking a harder course on the subject instead (admissions from 2 universities recommended me that, I had B- in organic chemistry 2).
As far as what you should do - its rough. I switched my career from finance, so I literally went back to school full time, while working in a medical field (addiction treatment facility) overnight. This gave me clinical hours, patient care experience and necessary courses. It was rough, but for me it made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.