I want to be a doctor, but can I do this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoulinNeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, here's some background on me. I'm about to become a 2nd semester Junior, and I've always BELIEVED that I wanted to be a lawyer. Both my parents are doctors, and so are two of my aunts. Now, I wanted to be an Attorney because I wanted to help people, but after doing an internship at a local Public Defender's courthouse here in Chicago, I've realized that this just isn't true, or at least it isn't the kind of help that I want to give (getting drug dealers off on a technicality, or just not physically having the time to defend actually innocent people). Furthermore, I was also in a petty rebellious phase where I wanted to be different from the rest of my family, plus everyone said I would be a good attorney. That's fine and all, but I've realized that I don't want to spend the rest of my life doing this.

To be honest, I knew this at the end of my sophomore year, but I thought I was in too deep to change anything. People always considered me a rock of stability, and I was ashamed to show any doubt in what I wanted. I also thought that you HAD to be a science major (I'm a Poli Sci & Psychology double major). Well, it's been bugging me for too long, and I said "**** it". So, I told my parents, and God bless them, they've been supportive. I spent a day job shadowing them, and I loved what I saw. The look of gratitude on the patients' faces made my heart warm up. I used to think I hated hospitals, but I don't anymore. I started reading up on some biology, and the subject is fascinating. Chemistry, though, lol.

So, my plan now is to take an extra year of undergrad, and follow something that I've been trying to deny for too long. This is where I need you guys' help, can I do this? My current GPA is a 3.95 (and should go to a 3.96 at the end of this semester). My current plan is to take CHEM 101 & 102 over the summer. Then, in my first semester of my senior year I'll take BIOL 101, Organic CHEM, and Gen Physics (PHYS 111) all with labs. That'll be 12 hours for the semester. Then, the next semester, I'll take BIOL 102, Orgo 2, PHYS 112 with labs. After that, I'll take the MCATs in Summer of 2011, and enter med school (hopefully) in the Fall of 2012. The extra year in between I'll just spend working or something.

I'm also planning on buying the Kaplan MCAT book this winter. I know, it's really early, especially I will not have taken a single class I need by then, but it will allow me to study the notes provided in the book, and get a good feel of the test, and it'll help me prepare for the classes I have to take.

Well, let me ask you guys if this is possible, or am I delusional in thinking I can enter any medical school in 2012? BTW, thanks in advance for any help.

BTW: I should mention, I want to be an Internist.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you do it? Sure you can, it's possible with dedication. You might need more medical ECs than just shadowing your parents though.

Couple things. Your proposed plan is technically workable, but the thing that concerns me is you won't have time to take any "recommended" pre-med coursework (some upper-division bio courses such as biochem, genetics, physiology, etc.). This may or may not be a problem...I think it varies from school to school. Check to see if schools you plan on applying to place emphasis on these courses.

Don't forget to pursue additional clinical exposure and some research if possible. Also, there are better MCAT resources than Kaplan...check out the MCAT forum here on SDN for a good study plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you do it? Sure you can, it's possible with dedication. You might need more medical ECs than just shadowing your parents though.
Any recommendations? I mean, I can also do volunteer work at their hospitals and clinics, would that help?

And yes, I will be planning on taking Anatomy and Physiology (BIOL 152 &153 here), as well, during the summer of 2011, because I want to have pharmacy as a backup plan.

Let me at least confirm that you do not want to be a lawyer. Trust me you don't. I speak from experience - I am one. I'm doing society a favor by exiting the law and going to medical school next August. It took me a long while to pursue my real dream of medicine. Practising law 50 hours a week and taking science courses two nights a week for three years was a nightmare (not to mention MCAT hell) but I kep my eye on the prize. I now consider myself a "recovering" lawyer.

You can do this. Good luck

Let me at least confirm that you do not want to be a lawyer. Trust me you don't. I speak from experience - I am one. I'm doing society a favor by exiting the law and going to medical school next August. It took me a long while to pursue my real dream of medicine. Practising law 50 hours a week and taking science courses two nights a week for three years was a nightmare (not to mention MCAT hell) but I kep my eye on the prize. I now consider myself a "recovering" lawyer.

Thanks man, if you could do it with that kind of schedule, then I should have a chance. I really appreciate it.

Before you continue down this path, make sure you come up with a good answer for why you've specifically focused thus far on law and medicine.

Keep in mind, there are many different ways to "help people" that would make your heart warm up.

Other than that, I think you've obviously got the intellectual capacity and motivation to do well. Good luck...

I'm also planning on buying the Kaplan MCAT book this winter.
Don't. Buy The Berkley Review books or The Princeton Review Hyperlearning books instead.

GO FOR IT BROTHER!! You already have grades covered, do what you were destined to do.

The question isn't "can?" its more "how?." I don't see how you would not be qualified, take the classes, take the MCAT and put in the work!

I think your plan of action is doable. However, I don't think it is the most intelligent way to go about things. You are not putting yourself in a good position to succeed by overwhelming yourself for a year. You must remember some medical schools have requirements such as biochemistry or psychology and it is hard to maintain a 3.95 with 12 grueling credit hours of science each semester. Plus, you will have to volunteer, shadow, and research all within 1 year? I still think it's doable, but you will be in a much better position to be accepted into medical school if you can allow yourself two years. I know 6 years in undergrad is a lot, but you may end up doing that if you don't get in on your first application cycle. Either way make sure to maintain your GPA and to do well on the MCAT. Good luck.

Edit: I saw the Psychology major, but there are classes that you have not mentioned that some medical schools require.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is weird that I got really emotional after reading your story. There are still tears in my eyes. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!

I think your plan of action is doable. However, I don't think it is the most intelligent way to go about things. You are not putting yourself in a good position to succeed by overwhelming yourself for a year. You must remember some medical schools have requirements such as biochemistry or psychology and it is hard to maintain a 3.95 with 12 grueling credit hours of science each semester. Plus, you will have to volunteer, shadow, and research all within 1 year? I still think it's doable, but you will be in a much better position to be accepted into medical school if you can allow yourself two years. I know 6 years in undergrad is a lot, but you may end up doing that if you don't get in on your first application cycle. Either way make sure to maintain your GPA and to do well on the MCAT. Good luck.

Edit: I saw the Psychology major, but there are classes that you have not mentioned that some medical schools require.
Obviously, my 3.95 GPA will go down. How much so will be put to me, though (I hope lol). And 12 grueling hours of science is too much? I'm being honest here, I'm unsure because you may be right.

BTW, what are these other requirements? I want to go to medical school in IL, and so far, only UIC (my dream school) requires more, and that's a level 200 BIOL, which I have no problem in taking.

is this a favor to society because you're not a good lawyer? OP, public defenders do a very difficult and worthwhile job, but there are many many different types of law one can practice. while it sounds as if you now have decided on medicine, don't let an experience with one type of law (or advice from bitter, burned-out lawyers) color your view of what can be a very interesting and rewarding profession. in any event, you are young - you can do both... good luck with whatever you pursue!

12 credits of science is not grueling, especially at the 100 level...and definitely not in comparison to a medical school curriculum.

Drop one of your majors!

That is a start.

Drop one of your majors!

That is a start.
I'll be dropping Psychology, it would take too many classes to finish if I want this, while I only need 3 more classes to finish Poli Sci. Besides, I only took on Psychology as a second major because I had so many electives (took a lot of AP in high school), and I thought it might be interesting.

How about a post-Bacc instead of just an extra year of undergrad? Won't make much of a difference, but could be something extra instead of nothing extra.

I felt you're rushing a bit much. I don't know how smart you are, but 3 science classes a semester can be a bit overwhelming, esp since you had taken no science class in college so far.

On AMCAS and med schools will look at your science (math&science) and cumulative GPA separately, so kudos for having an 3.9, but be careful to not blow your science GPA.

See how well you handle 2 G chem this summer. If that's too much, then don't be afraid to finish your pre-req in 2 years.

Also, with your background, I think you'll be a hot pick for a joint MD/JD program. Your shortcomings in traditional pre-med activities can be shored up with pre-law activities.

I think interviewers love hearing stories like yours, how you've come to be decided on medicine. You'll do well at interviews, just need to get there!

I think you'll definitely get into med schools. Your 3.9 GPA speaks to your intellectual prowess. UIC is a huge school (21% in-state acceptance), so I'm sure you'll get in.

Kaplan books have online materials that have a 6-month limit, so those practice problems you can't access after 6 months. Berkeley Review may be too dense, but since you're starting very early you can buy those books, they have tons of practice problems, like 13 passages per each of the 10 topic of each of the 4 subject.
Look at the MCAT forum and this post:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=503250&page=12

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hjqrxfvJ0A&feature=related[/youtube]

12 credits of intro science is by no means "grueling"

Maybe they are talking about the quarter system. Still not that bad, but a little more grueling then if it was semester.

Also, if you have never had a science class before...

I decided about the time you are to go into medicine for sure. I started the pre-reqs at my school, graduated and then enrolled in cheaper state school near my parents to finish the classes and to suck up to the med school. The hardest part was not the science classes. The hardest part is throwing all the extra crap on top of the science classes. Seriously, people act like it is tough to be a premed. As long as you have a hint of determination, work ethic and dedication you should be fine. There were nights where I was inside studying and could hear people partying and having fun at the bars, but you get over it. I can say that during premed coursework with 12-15 credit course loads (I took extra science classes for fun) I still had time to prestige 7 times on call of duty 4, to go out, go on dates, to lift weights and to spend time with my dying grandmother. Don't rush it too much. You'll be fine. I know there is always a sense of urgency but the time really does fly.

I was sitting here studying for a quiz the other day when I reflected on my flight out of Berlin at the end of study abroad. I was sitting there on my flight and thinking, "I can't believe there is another 3+ years of work before I MIGHT be in med school. I could be in medical school when the next world cup starts...". At that moment, it felt like an eternity. Now, there are moments it still feels like yesterday that I was sitting in a cafe reading for classes in Germany.

I decided about the time you are to go into medicine for sure. I started the pre-reqs at my school, graduated and then enrolled in cheaper state school near my parents to finish the classes and to suck up to the med school. The hardest part was not the science classes. The hardest part is throwing all the extra crap on top of the science classes. Seriously, people act like it is tough to be a premed. As long as you have a hint of determination, work ethic and dedication you should be fine. There were nights where I was inside studying and could hear people partying and having fun at the bars, but you get over it. I can say that during premed coursework with 12-15 credit course loads (I took extra science classes for fun) I still had time to prestige 7 times on call of duty 4, to go out, go on dates, to lift weights and to spend time with my dying grandmother. Don't rush it too much. You'll be fine. I know there is always a sense of urgency but the time really does fly.

I was sitting here studying for a quiz the other day when I reflected on my flight out of Berlin at the end of study abroad. I was sitting there on my flight and thinking, "I can't believe there is another 3+ years of work before I MIGHT be in med school. I could be in medical school when the next world cup starts...". At that moment, it felt like an eternity. Now, there are moments it still feels like yesterday that I was sitting in a cafe reading for classes in Germany.

One thing I often think about is something my dad told me not too long ago. He is 56 now, and he told me that although he is older physically he still fells like he is my age (23), and that it seems like just yesterday that he was. Time flys and life is short.

OP, right now in my post-bac I'm taking physics, gen chem, and bio. It's not grueling by any means, in fact I'm actually adding an extra class next semester (a writing in science course). I didn't take a single science course in undergrad and hadn't taken any since high school. I am doing fine, in fact I got the high score on my last Chem midterm. So 12 science credits is definitely doable, and from your already high GPA it sounds like you definitely excel in academics. I think your plan sounds fine. However, if you can tell within the first couple weeks of class that it's going to be too much, drop one of your science classes during add/drop so it won't show up on your transcript.

Good luck!

Congratulations on your acceptance, and for pursuing your dream of medicine. I am concerned, however, that you are giving blanket advice (don't go into law) based only on your personal experience. Law may or may not be the right path for the OP, but I do not believe that an internship in the public defenders office gives a complete, or even typical, view of the practice of law. The vast majority of attorneys DO NOT practice criminal law, either prosecuting or defending. I would advise that the OP find out more about other areas of the law before giving up on the field.

For the record, I am also an attorney considering a switch to medicine. Even so, I still believe the law is a good profession.

Do you think it is easy?

Look, I said it was doable, but when you throw organic into the mix 12 science credits is definitely asking for a GPA to be lowered. Now all of us are different and maybe 12 credits is easy for you, (P.S. whats your gpa again bleargh?), but the reality is it is not the most intelligent way to pursue the completion of your pre-reqs. Your science gpa is basically going to consist mainly of these pre-reqs and you don't want that to be considerably low either. I just don't recommend doing that, even though you can do anything, just know that it might hurt you in the long run.

Do you think it is easy?

Look, I said it was doable, but when you throw organic into the mix 12 science credits is definitely asking for a GPA to be lowered. Now all of us are different and maybe 12 credits is easy for you, (P.S. whats your gpa again bleargh?), but the reality is it is not the most intelligent way to pursue the completion of your pre-reqs. Your science gpa is basically going to consist mainly of these pre-reqs and you don't want that to be considerably low either. I just don't recommend doing that, even though you can do anything, just know that it might hurt you in the long run.

12 units of sciences (i.e., 3 classes w/ labs), even with ochem, isn't so bad. (To answer your almost accusatory question of bleargh, I actually would say that 12 units of 100- and 200-level science courses, such as gen bio, gen chem and gen physics, is easy.) Even 4-5 science courses in one semester is very doable at the 100 and 200 level. I'm currently taking 4 (>20 units, 100-400 level science courses, some of which I lack the official prereqs for) and my GPA is actually rising (not quite from a 3.95 like the OP, though...). I think if the OP was able to get a 3.95 with a double major and comes from a medical family (which suggests some innate ability academically as well as plenty of childhood exposure to science and medicine), s/he is quite likely to be successful no matter what s/he takes (within reason, of course).

12 units of sciences (i.e., 3 classes w/ labs), even with ochem, isn't so bad. (To answer your almost accusatory question of bleargh, I actually would say that 12 units of 100- and 200-level science courses, such as gen bio, gen chem and gen physics, is easy.) Even 4-5 science courses in one semester is very doable at the 100 and 200 level. I'm currently taking 4 (>20 units, 100-400 level science courses, some of which I lack the official prereqs for) and my GPA is actually rising (not quite from a 3.95 like the OP, though...). I think if the OP was able to get a 3.95 with a double major and comes from a medical family (which suggests some innate ability academically as well as plenty of childhood exposure to science and medicine), s/he is quite likely to be successful no matter what s/he takes (within reason, of course).

This is the third time I will be saying that it is doable. I'm not saying it is not doable. And if the OP is a genius gunner then yes they can do it and end up with a 4.0. Is it the best way to approach the pre-requisites that will allow you to get the highest GPA you are capable of? OP if the answer to that question is yes then go for it.

P.S. I personally am taking 26 credits this semester and am maintaining an above 3.7 GPA in all my classes. I also plan on taking 12 credits of science next semester 2 classes of which are in the 300 level. I know what I can handle and I know how to perfectly manage my time, I also have a strong foundation in the sciences. If I had a choice that would allow me to only take 4 or 8 science credits next semester then I would, unfortunately due to time conflicts and a lack of science classes offered at my University, I am unable to do so and am basically forced to take 12 credits of science next semester. If the OP knows they can handle it then I say go for it; however, orgo is hard enough by itself let alone adding biology and physics with that. I don't think it's giving yourself the best opportunity to succeed. I don't think I am giving myself the best opportunity to succeed either, there's nothing I can really do for my situation.

Last edited:

Dude, most schools don't even let you take four classes (or more than 15 credits) on a quarter system, let alone 4-5 science classes.

OK, I've found a way to do PHYS 111 next semester. That way, I can do Chem 101 during the first part of summer, and CHEM 102 & PHYS 112 during the second part of summer. Then, during my senior year, I'll only have to do 2 science classes per semester (BIOL and ochem). The other classes I'll be doing will be simple classes for pre-pharmacy, like communication and economics.

BTW, let me add that I am on a semester system, not quarters.

OK, I've found a way to do PHYS 111 next semester. That way, I can do Chem 101 during the first part of summer, and CHEM 102 & PHYS 112 during the second part of summer. Then, during my senior year, I'll only have to do 2 science classes per semester (BIOL and ochem). The other classes I'll be doing will be simple classes for pre-pharmacy, like communication and economics.

That sounds a LOT better and will be less stressful for you.

O.K, well I would recommend starting off with one or two and gauge how much work it is for you. Then, if possible, no more than three or four sciences at a time. That is just my suggestion though.

Dude, most schools don't even let you take four classes (or more than 15 credits) on a quarter system, let alone 4-5 science classes.

Dude, you might not have noticed you're the only one on this thread who has mentioned a quarter system....

Nevertheless, most schools won't let you take more than 18 on a semester system either. Most who do are either taking classes at multiple schools (so neither is aware of the other) or have obtained special permission from the registrar or their advisor to do it, or are doing it in some under the table way (e.g., getting summer credit for a semester course through special arrangements w/ the dept or unofficially auditing a course). Generally, though, I've found that if you approach the right people confidently and charismatically enough and have the academic record to back you up, most university officials will be pretty quick to make exceptions on things like prereqs and maximum numbers of units.

Is it possible to do Chem 101 & Phys 112 over the entire summer semester (i.e., an "extended" summer course -- 10-12 weeks instead of 4-6) and then push Chem 102 into the fall? Shorter courses tend to result in reduced levels of retention, which may severely limit your performance on the MCAT down the road. I think you'd be better off with one more 3-science courses in one semester semester than you would be doing 3 in a summer. Even 2 in a summer is a stretch for most people (generally moreso than it would be during a regular semester).

Dude, you might not have noticed you're the only one on this thread who has mentioned a quarter system....

Well excuse me for clarifying...

Nevertheless, most schools won't let you take more than 18 on a semester system either. Most who do are either taking classes at multiple schools (so neither is aware of the other) or have obtained special permission from the registrar or their advisor to do it, or are doing it in some under the table way (e.g., getting summer credit for a semester course through special arrangements w/ the dept or unofficially auditing a course). Generally, though, I've found that if you approach the right people confidently and charismatically enough and have the academic record to back you up, most university officials will be pretty quick to make exceptions on things like prereqs and maximum numbers of units.

I guess. I am not sure why someone would do this if they wanted to have a life as well. I guess it was weird for me to assume that the OP would only be going to one school.

Well excuse me for clarifying...

I was simply pointing out that no one but you appears to be operating under that assumption. The OP never mentioned a quarter system and such systems are in the minority.

I guess. I am not sure why someone would do this if they wanted to have a life as well. I guess it was weird for me to assume that the OP would only be going to one school.

Did I not state that was one of many ways of getting around those "restrictions." You seemed to be stating this as though what I had stated (i.e., taking 4-5 science courses/semester) was not possible, so I responded as such. I was not and am still not advocating the OP exceed general policies on max units/courses per semester. I would only suggest doing such if 1) the OP was sure s/he could successfully complete that many courses at that level simultaneously and 2) there was no other way the OP could graduate within a reasonable period of time.

I was simply pointing out that no one but you appears to be operating under that assumption. The OP never mentioned a quarter system and such systems are in the minority.

Did I not state that was one of many ways of getting around those "restrictions." You seemed to be stating this as though what I had stated (i.e., taking 4-5 science courses/semester) was not possible, so I responded as such. I was not and am still not advocating the OP exceed general policies on max units/courses per semester. I would only suggest doing such if 1) the OP was sure s/he could successfully complete that many courses at that level simultaneously and 2) there was no other way the OP could graduate within a reasonable period of time.

alright.

One thing I often think about is something my dad told me not too long ago. He is 56 now, and he told me that although he is older physically he still fells like he is my age (23), and that it seems like just yesterday that he was. Time flys and life is short.

Yup, so don't rush things. Enjoy the time a bit. I've learned a lot about myself in the time. I took a semester off, recharged my batteries, worked with kids at two radically different middle schools and just had fun. It is easy to want to rush through all this stuff, but in the end a year or two early doesn't mean much. Do I wish I were one of those 22 yearold second years here? Sometimes. It sounds nice to be done before they are even my age, but it isn't like I was sitting around and staring at a wall during that gap. I've traveled and experienced things that they never got to do because they were too focused on the straight shot through.