I want to be a doctor but.........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trink

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to be a doctor but at age 27, (most likely age 28 when I start PreMed in the fall) am I going to have a hard time becoming a doctor because of my age? I've been reading somewhat adverse reactions to being a non-traditional student and becoming a doctor on these boards. However, I very much want to, specifically in the field of geriatric psychiatry, and if all goes well I would be 40 when I could start practicing. Which would still give me at least 25 years of decent practice.

Also, one more thing.....I read some statistic that said 80% of doctors are male and the other 20% are female, being that I'm female does that help or hurt my chances or even have any bearing on it?

Members don't see this ad.

If its really in your heart, GO FOR IT!!!

There are a lot of students in my class that are up there in age (40+), but the motivation is strong.

Don't worry about what other people are telling you. Go with what makes yo happy!! Good luck to you!!

Rob
WesternU/COMP Class of 2002

Reactions: 1 user
Dear age 27 youngster,
smile.gif

Your age is an asset, not a liability, and should be viewed and marketed as such. A Female wishing to enter Geriatric Psychiatry with good reasons for doing so--this is nothing short of a strongly compelling story for med school entrance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was 27 when I began the pre-med course of studies, and am now 29. I will be starting medical school in the fall. I think my age helped...I had comments about my "maturity" and "experience" throughout the interview process. Don't sweat it--they'll take you if your stats are up to par. I was admitted to both allopathic and osteopathic schools, and I chose osteopathic. Give it your best shot--I had several friends in the same age range who also were admitted.

------------------
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams.

--Willy Wonka

I am in my 30's and I am in my 3rd year @ an allopathic school. Believe me, you will not be out of place.

The only limitations you will have with respect to your age are the ones you place on yourself. Trust me, don't even think twice about it.

Email me or post again if you want further info.

I am starting med school in September @ age 30...believe me, there are some "life experiences" that we older(?) students can bring to the Art, and which, along with our younger colleagues, can enhance our collective experience as future doctors. Don't lose sight of the Goal!!

I am a bit younger than my counterparts (20), and I can tell you, it's difficult when you're young as well. I love medicine, but I hate the fact that my youth is being eaten up. I only had so very few years to party and enjoy myself; I wish I had more. This makes one a bit bitter.

A lot of people in my class are of your age. It is nothing unusual. Do what you want to do. If you feel ready for and want med school, then go for it. But please, don't ever feel that you are too old at the age you've stated to be. I wish I had waited a few more years before 'enlisting.'

Thank you everyone for your words of encouragement and just general support. (You have a great bedside manner already!)
I cannot get the idea out of my head of being a doctor and have been devouring every resource I can on becoming a one. Never have I had anything like that happen to me before, but it's all I can think of, dare I even say, "a calling". My husband supports me in this and being that we don't want children, I shouldn't have any problem (relatively speaking, of course) with going to school. I am currently reading "Getting Into Medical School Today" by Drs. Plantz, Lorenzo, and Cole and so far it's been quite an education in itself. I plan to start volunteering at my hospital this week, and begin college this Fall. And in 12 years, hopefully we'll be calling each other colleagues and making a difference in the world.....Oh and MD 03, give yourself a pat on the back. When I was your age I didn't have the discipline to do well in school or the self-esteem to get going in life. Granted, now I've definitely got some life experience from not jumping into school, but I've also been in unfulfilling careers for the last 10 years. When you get out, you'll still be quite youthful, be doing something that will help people, is personally and financially fulfilling, and you can teach a person 7 years your senior (me!) a thing or two. Besides that, just think of all the sexual diseases you are avoiding by not getting drunk every weekend and being a party animal. Try to remember it's not always as wonderful as it appears sometimes.

Trink:

I'm a 32 y/o Navy Pilot also pursuing a medical career. I'm currently retaking/taking my prereqs at night and volunteering every spare minute at a great local hospital.

I would recommend the book "Applying to Medical School for the Non-Traditional Student" by Bryan Goss. I think I got my copy on BN online.

Best of luck!!

Don't be discouraged. I am nearly 30. When I was 22, fresh out of college with summa cum laude, I was determined to get a PhD in health related area, and I did in five years. Then I became a postdoc at Harvard Med for two years, followed by a faculty appointment there. You may think that my professional life has been smooth. However, I heard the calling that I want to learn about medicine because I offer consulting services to doctors almost everyday. I would like to save lives and learn more about the clinical areas I have been working in. So, here I am, with very litter bio, chem background (I was a math/phy major in undergrad school and a biomath phd), I am relating all the premed courses at night while being a faculty at Harvard. Am I being crazy? Somethings I think so, but if your heart tells you that's the right thing to do, go for it. I am also terrified by MCAT and did badly on a diagnostic exam, but the experience w. standard tests such as GRE made me confident that I am willing to set aside and devote the time to something I love to do. So, don't worry about the age or anything else!

Trink: Honey, we are almost in exactly the same boat, although i am sure we took different roads to get there. I am 25 years old. I graduated at the top of my class in high school, and then have been "floating" and "living" for the past 7 years. In high school, I never studied for squat, and still ranked numero uno. However, I wanted to just live when i got out. I wanted to party, and meet guys, and date, and have relationships, and act in plays, and just have fun (newsflash: i'm gay, if you didn't figure that out already). Along the way when i wasn't feeling so hot, I wasn't the smartest boy (read: I didn't always use condoms). After a few dozen of these encounters, I sort of convinced myself that i was probably HIV positive, and would just have to deal with it. I never had a test before, but I just KNEW that after all those times of being stupid, I couldn't be THAT lucky. I don't know why I was so stupid at the time (looking back), I was just feeling sorry for myself because i wasn't sure if I'd ever go to school, or find my true calling, or if i could ever be proud of myself (what's a valedictorian to do?
smile.gif
)

WELL, after a few years, I decided to take the "plunge" and go have a HIV test. I knew that I hadn't had unsafe sex in a long time, so the test would tell the true story. AMAZINGLY, i was negative (another test 6 months later confirmed). I walked home and passed a hospital, and breathed in cool fresh Chicago air. The world never looked so good, and I wanted to give something back. All of the sudden, I knew SOMEONE gave me a second chance, and i was not about to waste it. After a LOT of soul searching (and i am sure more to come) I felt that becoming a doctor was where I needed to be.

And I am TOTALLY like you. I read ANYTHING I can get my hands on, and it is all I think about. Additionally, I have GREAT study habits now, and class is easy, because I am MOTIVATED to learn and LIVE. So here i am, an old fogey
smile.gif
in pre-med at age 25. I always tell the few people who know about this that it was like Monty Hall and "Let's Make a Deal"...all these curtains just lifted up in front of me, and i saw the oppurtunities and my dreams, and I KNEW i could do it. And I will.

And you will too!!!
smile.gif
Persevere, work hard, and HOLD ONTO YOUR DREAMS. I am very thankful I still have mine. Anytime i think of losing them, I just remember how blessed I am, and I INSIST on my happiness. Maybe i will meet you someitme in the future, and we can laugh about how we ever doubted ourselves. Sorry this got so long and so God-awful dramatic, but I wanted to share a good story with Trink. I hope i didn't sound too much like a pre-med Tony Robbins.
smile.gif
YOU CAN DO IT!

[This message has been edited by tennisboy93 (edited 02-17-2000).]

I'm getting confused here... 27? Old? You must be kidding... In my school many students hover around that age. You are more mature, have more life experience, and definitely know that you want to be a doctor just because that's what you want.... and not what your parents told you to be, or what pressure this society put on kids saying that it is a cool job to have. I'm 29 by the way, and entered med school as an MD-PhD student. I finished my PhD last year and just got out of my 3rd year med, moving to my last year. If helping people is what you wish to do, I would definitely tell you to go for it.
You don't have to be a genius to make it through med school. You just have to work really hard. I'm the living example of it. I never do well in multiple choice exams, but good enough to pass. I work well with patients and do very well on the floor, which kinda makes up my average test performance.
Wish you good luck. Hope to see you on my website searching for a residency program in the future
smile.gif

Sincerely,

------------------
waffle ;)
BU School of Medicine
MS3
Scutwork.com

I think you've heard it over and over again, but I was 27 when I started taking the pre-meds too. Like Doctor K I am now 29, I also start in the Fall. If geriatric psychiatry is what you want don't let age stop you. Whether you go to medical school or not, you will live the next 13 years of your life doing something. Why not use them chasing your dreams rather than dreaming about the chase?

As for the male/female thing, there are plenty of schools out there with more equitable ratios of male to female. Being female won't have any bearing on you at all.

Do yourself a favor, GO FOR IT!!! I'll see you on the other side.

Sheon

Can anyone who is in med school and their school uses block exams, please explain what a block exam is vs. regular testing. Do you study one subject at a time and then take exams on that subject?

Can anyone who is in med school and their school uses block exams, please explain what a block exam is vs. regular testing. Do you study one subject at a time and then take exams on that subject?
Regular testing is continuous
Block testing is not cumalitive
Material is tested in "blocks"

I want to be a doctor but at age 27, (most likely age 28 when I start PreMed in the fall) am I going to have a hard time becoming a doctor because of my age? I've been reading somewhat adverse reactions to being a non-traditional student and becoming a doctor on these boards. However, I very much want to, specifically in the field of geriatric psychiatry, and if all goes well I would be 40 when I could start practicing. Which would still give me at least 25 years of decent practice.

Also, one more thing.....I read some statistic that said 80% of doctors are male and the other 20% are female, being that I'm female does that help or hurt my chances or even have any bearing on it?

Go for it, 25 years is a long career, and thats if you actually retire at 65.

I started post bacc classes at 28 and med school at 31, my last day of med school is in 4 weeks and I wouldn't change a thing.

Regular testing is continuous
Block testing is not cumalitive
Material is tested in "blocks"

Strong work. Now preacherman can finally make a decision and move on with his life. :thumbup:

Reading through this thread - man, SDN was a different world 16 years ago. More exclamation marks, less snark.

Reactions: 5 users
Strong work. Now preacherman can finally make a decision and move on with his life. :thumbup:

Reading through this thread - man, SDN was a different world 16 years ago. More exclamation marks, less snark.

If only I could take my a-hole snarky tendencies back 16 years ago, would have been like taking a machine gun to the revolutionary war. A man can dream.