I want to be a doctor but at age 27, (most likely age 28 when I start PreMed in the fall) am I going to have a hard time becoming a doctor because of my age? I've been reading somewhat adverse reactions to being a non-traditional student and becoming a doctor on these boards. However, I very much want to, specifically in the field of geriatric psychiatry, and if all goes well I would be 40 when I could start practicing. Which would still give me at least 25 years of decent practice. Also, one more thing.....I read some statistic that said 80% of doctors are male and the other 20% are female, being that I'm female does that help or hurt my chances or even have any bearing on it?