I want to be a pharmacist but not do residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharebear003

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Might as well be a doctor... Do you have to residency immediately after school or can it be a few years later?

Members don't see this ad.

You dont have to do residency to work as a Pharmacist.. Definitely not as retail Pharmacist and probably not as a hospital Pharmacist ( although that may change in 6-8 years from now if you just starting)

You can do a residency a few years later as well, although depending on what will you be doing it may be a lot harder to get a residency spot

There has been some talk of making a PGY1 mandatory for all newly graduated pharmacists that have "direct patient contact" starting in 2020.

Members don't see this ad :)
You dont have to do residency to work as a Pharmacist.. Definitely not as retail Pharmacist and probably not as a hospital Pharmacist ( although that may change in 6-8 years from now if you just starting)

You can do a residency a few years later as well, although depending on what will you be doing it may be a lot harder to get a residency spot

ah well... I guess to do the job you want.. you gotta suffer at first

I've precepted 3 residents in the past 3 years that have been a practicing pharmacist before going into the residency program. They all got into the program via the match and did very well.