I want to be a surgeon.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaitlyn_07

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first forum. I am currently a 13-year-old middle schooler in the 8th grade. I want to be a surgeon. I do realize it is early to try and commit myself to a certain profession, I've been told by many people. The thing is I have been interested in the medical field for as long as I can remember, but now that the beginning of high school is so close I'd like to get some advice as to what my next step should look like. Here are some questions I have for surgeons on this site;

• What high school classes should I take?
  • Do I need to take all AP/advanced classes?
  • Is continuing volleyball a bad idea, or do you think it will help with coordination/stamina?
  • If my school does not have a medical pathway, what is the next best pathway for me to look into?
  • Is there anything I should do outside of school to further my education?
  • Should I start to do volunteer work, if so what kinds of places?
  • What is a good way to study that works for you? (I have bad study skills)
  • How did you know that you had what it took to become a surgeon?
Thank you in advance, everyone!
Kaitlyn

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 9 users
Not a surgeon. But you should take whatever interests you. Get into a good college that doesn't cost much. I'm not sure what college sports will look like by the time you get there but if you're good and can get a sports scholarship that would be very nice for your future finances. Continuing volleyball is a good idea as long as it doesn't affect your studies. Which college you go to and what you do there is a lot more important than what you do in high school. But what you do in high school is important to get to college. Then again a lot can change from now and 10 years from now when you'll possibly be going to medical school.

Here is a forum for people like you, at your stage of the game. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Not a surgeon. But you should take whatever interests you. Get into a good college that doesn't cost much. I'm not sure what college sports will look like by the time you get there but if you're good and can get a sports scholarship that would be very nice for your future finances. Continuing volleyball is a good idea as long as it doesn't affect your studies. Which college you go to and what you do there is a lot more important than what you do in high school. But what you do in high school is important to get to college. Then again a lot can change from now and 10 years from now when you'll possibly be going to medical school.

Here is a forum for people like you, at your stage of the game. Good luck!
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think part of the reason for the lack of replies is that people aren’t sure if you’re legit or just trolling, and part of it is that med school is so far on your horizon that it’s very hard to put a roadmap in front of you that has any real meaning. People almost always change their minds.

Here’s what you should do:

1-Be happy. If preparing to be a physician makes you miserable, you’re going to be miserable as a physician.
2 -Do well in school, not because you want to be a surgeon but because it is the best way to keep all doors open for you in the future. If in the long run medicine and surgery is what is right, that door will also be open.
3 - Keep your eyes and your options open. Prove to yourself you want to do surgery by volunteering and shadowing not just in medicine, but in other career paths that you find interesting. Because if surgery is the best option for you, you’re not going to talk yourself out of it. If it isn’t, then you might.
4 - Find a local doc who would be willing to sit down or even email you about questions. They may be able to help you find volunteer positions as well. It will be hard at 13 to do this.
5 - medical schools don’t really care if you’re premed. Like, at all. Premed is just supposed to give you a basic background so that med school is an “easier” transition. Med schools care about grades, motivation, and that you want to do primary care. They would be happy if you majored in History as long as you got straight As and wrote a good essay. And frankly the people I knew in med school who were the least stressed out weren’t premed. But that may be some selection bias.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Take courses that are interesting to you! If right now you have an interest in math and science, take additional math a science electives. You don't have to limit yourself, however, to just math and science and should feel free to branch out and explore your interests.
You should take the most challenging course load that you can still succeed in. Colleges like to see students that push themselves and take advantages of the resources of their high school, so if you have AP options, you should try to take some of them. That said, don't take so many that you become overwhelmed and your grades drop.
  • Is continuing volleyball a bad idea, or do you think it will help with coordination/stamina?
During high school, you should get involved with extracurriculars that you care about, because if you actually enjoy the activity, you're more likely to excel in it (i.e. win awards, get leadership positions, etc.) Your commitment and achievement within an extracurricular show colleges a lot about your values and character.

I wouldn't worry so much about whether volleyball improves coordination/stamina or not. You'll learn the physical acts of surgery if/when you're training to become a surgeon.
  • If my school does not have a medical pathway, what is the next best pathway for me to look into?
For high school, just take science courses that interest you. For college, just about every 4 year university has basic life sciences departments within which you can complete your pre-med requirements.
Use your first two years of high school to explore. Keep an open mind and join various clubs and organizations. This process may further convince you that becoming a surgeon is the right path for you, but it could also expose you to something completely different, and that's perfectly ok! As you move into your junior and senior years of high school, your interests will hopefully become a bit more clear and concrete, so during those two years, you should try to build depth in your areas of interest.

If possible, you can also do some shadowing. If you have family or friends who are doctors, ask to follow them at work for a day. You can also do this with other professions as well.
Sure! Volunteering is a great way to become more familiar with what being a doctor actually looks likes. Many community hospitals have volunteer programs that allow high school students. Reach out to them and see if you can volunteer a few times a month. Another option could be volunteering at a nursing home. Often times, residents there are lonely and just want someone to talk to and you could really brighten someones day.
Keeping your grades up is going to be important, whether you choose to be a surgeon or not. I suggest getting help before you're struggling. If, for example, you know you're not great a math, go to math office hours and review your assignments with your teacher. Get a tutor in the areas where you tend to struggle.

Something else that may be helpful is Improving your time management by cutting out things that distract you. For example, some people get distracted by their phone when studying. In that case, they might put their phone in another room when studying.
As you get more experiences in your science courses, shadowing, and volunteering, you'll get a better idea if the realities of being a doctor feel right to you. If it does feel right, then you can continue down the pathway to becoming one. If it doesn't, that's perfectly fine too, and you can pursue other avenues.

Reactions: 1 users
I think part of the reason for the lack of replies is that people aren’t sure if you’re legit or just trolling, and part of it is that med school is so far on your horizon that it’s very hard to put a roadmap in front of you that has any real meaning. People almost always change their minds.

Here’s what you should do:

1-Be happy. If preparing to be a physician makes you miserable, you’re going to be miserable ad a physician.
2 -Do well in school, not because you want to be a surgeon but because it is the best way to keep all doors open for you in the future. If in the long run medicine and surgery is what os right, that door will also be open.
3 - Keep your eyes and your options open. Prove to yourself you want to do surgery by volunteering and shadowing not just in medicine, but in other career paths that you find interesting. Because if surgery is the best option for you, you’re not going to talk yourself out of it. If it isn’t, then you might.
4 - Find a local doc who would be willing to sit down or even email you about questions. They may be able to help you find volunteer positions as well. It will be hard at 13 to do this.
5 - medical schools don’t really care if you’re premed. Like, at all. Premed is just supposed to give you a basic background so that med school is an “easier” transition. Med schools care about grades, motivation, and that you want to do primary care. They would be happy if you majored in History as long as you got straight As and wrote a good essay. And frankly the people I knew in med school who were the least stressed out weren’t premed. But that may be some selection bias.
Take courses that are interesting to you! If right now you have an interest in math and science, take additional math a science electives. You don't have to limit yourself, however, to just math and science and should feel free to branch out and explore your interests.
You should take the most challenging course load that you can still succeed in. Colleges like to see students that push themselves and take advantages of the resources of their high school, so if you have AP options, you should try to take some of them. That said, don't take so many that you become overwhelmed and your grades drop.
During high school, you should get involved with extracurriculars that you care about, because if you actually enjoy the activity, you're more likely to excel in it (i.e. win awards, get leadership positions, etc.) Your commitment and achievement within an extracurricular show colleges a lot about your values and character.

I wouldn't worry so much about whether volleyball improves coordination/stamina or not. You'll learn the physical acts of surgery if/when you're training to become a surgeon.
For high school, just take science courses that interest you. For college, just about every 4 year university has basic life sciences departments within which you can complete your pre-med requirements.
Use your first two years of high school to explore. Keep an open mind and join various clubs and organizations. This process may further convince you that becoming a surgeon is the right path for you, but it could also expose you to something completely different, and that's perfectly ok! As you move into your junior and senior years of high school, your interests will hopefully become a bit more clear and concrete, so during those two years, you should try to build depth in your areas of interest.

If possible, you can also do some shadowing. If you have family or friends who are doctors, ask to follow them at work for a day. You can also do this with other professions as well.
Sure! Volunteering is a great way to become more familiar with what being a doctor actually looks likes. Many community hospitals have volunteer programs that allow high school students. Reach out to them and see if you can volunteer a few times a month. Another option could be volunteering at a nursing home. Often times, residents there are lonely and just want someone to talk to and you could really brighten someones day.
Keeping your grades up is going to be important, whether you choose to be a surgeon or not. I suggest getting help before you're struggling. If, for example, you know you're not great a math, go to math office hours and review your assignments with your teacher. Get a tutor in the areas where you tend to struggle.

Something else that may be helpful is Improving your time management by cutting out things that distract you. For example, some people get distracted by their phone when studying. In that case, they might put their phone in another room when studying.
As you get more experiences in your science courses, shadowing, and volunteering, you'll get a better idea if the realities of being a doctor feel right to you. If it does feel right, then you can continue down the pathway to becoming one. If it doesn't, that's perfectly fine too, and you can pursue other avenues.
Thank you so much. This information really helps!

Reactions: 1 user
You may not wanna be a surgeon as you grow older but here’s what I would have done if I was absolutely committed to being a surgeon at your age. Keep in mind, I took my time and wasted a lot of time by having fun and living life. With that said, I would have taken heavy AP classes in high school and excel. I would have loaded up on EC (things you’re genuinely interested in). I played multiple sports, so I wouldn’t have changed that. I’d have taken ACT/SAT early and try to score as high as possible to perfect score, and retake If I had to until I got the desired score. I would have then applied to guaranteed 6-7 years BS/MD programs and would have coasted from that point on. That would have been the fastest and most efficient way to get there without stressing about getting into medical school in college.

Reactions: 3 users
Focus on becoming a doctor first (and being a kid). Best route if you are pretty sure you want to do medicine as a HS student is get into your state school (preferably to combined BS/MD program). Already being accepted to medical school will make college a lot less stressful for you because you've already won the game. If no combined route program available, I would still try to go to your state's large research university. Premed classes are easier and tuition is lower at a state school.

Not sure I was expecting all these generally positive responses. But good on the forum.

All I have to say is that most people have the hands; not everyone has the discipline. That means the discipline to work but also to rest.

I'm in my mid-30s and still a fellow. The road is long. And painful. Why do you want to be a surgeon?

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure I was expecting all these generally positive responses. But good on the forum.

All I have to say is that most people have the hands; not everyone has the discipline. That means the discipline to work but also to rest.

I'm in my mid-30s and still a fellow. The road is long. And painful. Why do you want to be a surgeon?
Seems like a sincere enough kid so they get real responses. The point by point one above I very much agree with and have nothing to add aside from seeing if there is a program in your area for people interested in healthcare careers. There was one I participated in that we did stuff like learning medical terminology and explored different volunteer activities. I lucked out and got a paying job at a doctor's office out of it that I stayed at through undergrad and ended up with good experience and letters from but more importantly got to see what being a doctor was really like.

All of these other replies are useful advice.

My one comment which I think would be applicable for a high schooler would be to play some video games if you don't already. Play enough to build some hand-eye coordination but not enough that your grades suffer or you become a gamer.

The future of surgery in the majority of specialties already has or is going to incorporate some form of videoscopic / robotic component because patients like it. It's less injury to the patient so healing is better/faster. And it sounds cool so patients ask for it. Basically this form of surgery is like a video game.

People with good hand eye coordination do well in surgery. A lot of people will tell you, "oh you can train a monkey to do surgery" and that everyone has the technical skills to become a surgeon. Not really true imo. Everyone in a program knows who are the good surgeons and who are the bad surgeons just by watching them. Those skills translate into patient outcomes. So maybe everyone can memorize the steps to complete a surgery, but not everyone can do it well or fast.

All the other stuff you will figure out over time.

And yes, absolutely, you should continue playing volleyball.

All of these other replies are useful advice.

My one comment which I think would be applicable for a high schooler would be to play some video games if you don't already. Play enough to build some hand-eye coordination but not enough that your grades suffer or you become a gamer.

The future of surgery in the majority of specialties already has or is going to incorporate some form of videoscopic / robotic component because patients like it. It's less injury to the patient so healing is better/faster. And it sounds cool so patients ask for it. Basically this form of surgery is like a video game.

People with good hand eye coordination do well in surgery. A lot of people will tell you, "oh you can train a monkey to do surgery" and that everyone has the technical skills to become a surgeon. Not really true imo. Everyone in a program knows who are the good surgeons and who are the bad surgeons just by watching them. Those skills translate into patient outcomes. So maybe everyone can memorize the steps to complete a surgery, but not everyone can do it well or fast.

All the other stuff you will figure out over time.

And yes, absolutely, you should continue playing volleyball.

This is actually a pretty insightful post for someone so young. I would completely agree coming from someone who does complex HPB robotics - it isn't just hand-eye coordination, but pattern recognition (and honestly, I think its pattern recognition that may be the more important component). I played decades of video games and was a gamer, only really quit playing a lot in residency and almost altogether in fellowship. Surgery to me is a puzzle where every case starts off with the "calibration" piece where you kind of get a feel for a patient's tissue and their planes, and then you solve their puzzle which is the rest of the case.

The only thing I disagree with is that I do think the technical skills can be taught to anyone, up to and most definitely including the monkeys. The pattern recognition separates the subpar (or utterly bad) from the truly fantastic. It is very difficult to teach people to natively see tissue planes, particularly in difficult cases. The other things you can't teach a monkey are creative thinking and improvisation which video games excel at promoting and is *absolutely* what sets the brilliant surgeons apart from the others.

Residency and fellowship is for teaching how to predict who will have a complication, why, and how to deal with them, the other piece the poor monkey will struggle with.

Keep playing volleyball. Don't get fat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest that playing a musical instrument can produce similar results for eye-hand coordination as those touted for video games. Especially one that requires simultaneous but disparate actions with each hand. With arguably other more beneficial aspects. I am not yet 40 (though getting close OMG) and grew up playing video games to a certain point (though full disclosure I kinda stopped when they went 3D due to issues with motion sickness) so I don’t think I’m the old fart perspective exactly. But I think the 10 years I spent playing the flute and reading music was probably more beneficial. If I had it to do over again I’d take up guitar or piano, or something that would have more utility in my adult life. Not a lot of demand for flute when sitting around hanging out with friends. But still I think that is where my ease of use of my non-dominant hand for complex tasks, as well as help in developing laparoscopic skills, comes from.

Not saying video games are BAD, just that looking back, if I had a chance to deliberately focus on an activity that would help develop certain skills/traits/coordination AND maybe be something I could share with others, I would choose playing some kind of instrument as an area of focus.

Still play video games though, they’re fun and at 13 you should be having fun just for the sake of fun too. You want to grow into the kind of person who has interests outside of work and some of that is having fun and some of that is working to develop the kind of mind that is a pleasant place to spend ones leisure time as an adult.

Largely agree with everything else.

Cardiothoracic surgeon here, and I wanted to be one since I was in the 7th grade, so I understand where you're coming from. Everyone who said I was too young to make that kind of decision fueled my desire to prove them wrong, and like you I wanted to try to get ahead of the game since I knew I wanted to go into the profession so early. So here's my two cents.

Take the most challenging classes you can, and try to take as many AP classes in your Junior and Senior year as you can. They'll give you college credit for intro-level classes, and you'll have more options for pursuing your interests once you get to college instead of taking those classes with 300-something people.
Take as many as you possibly can. They get you in the mindset for studying hard and they make you develop good habits early on.
Stick with the volleyball if you like it, not necessarily because it will develop some kind of coordination or physical capability for a future career. My job is 60% decision-making and persistence, 40% operating skills mostly learned in surgery residency and fellowship.
Mine didn't either. Make it a priority to get to a good college. You don't necessarily need a particular pathway or particular major to get to med school, and uniqueness makes you interesting. Interesting and smart will always win over the kids who just completed all the check boxes to get there.
Be proactive. Try to contact some surgeons to watch some surgeries, shadow during office hours, whatever you can to get exposure to the field. You may find you don't like it, but at least you'll know. Try to get a feel for lifestyle, day-to-day schedules, and the types of surgeries the that specialists perform. I contacted a lot of surgeons when I was in high school to shadow, but there were only a handful who let me into the OR. I'll never forget the ones who let me observe and I still remember the surgeries that I got to see, and I used those experiences in applications and interviews later in my education. You can also look for programs put on by med schools or colleges in your area for middle/high school students. I did one in the 8th grade where we stayed at a med school with some med students, got to see an anatomy lab, got some tips for studying, etc.
This was one of the biggest factors that set me apart from any applicant that I met, and it was something I milked all the way into residency applications for general surgery. I started volunteering at a local community hospital as a transport volunteer, four hours almost every weekend for four years starting with my freshman year of high school. I had over 600 hours of volunteering, and more importantly hospital experience, to back up the fact that I wanted to go into the profession. That commitment and persistence says a lot about your character and determination for helping others, and people notice. I also met a lot of interesting people/physicians/nurses at the hospital who helped me with my career later in life.
Be persistent. Study for an extra hour on topics you are interested in after you finish your homework. Dive down the rabbit hole of investigating all you can about a particular topic and make an effort to go beyond the textbook to learn more about a particular subject. For example, when learning about presidential history, tie in your interests with the subject matter. Learning about James A Garfield? Study about medicine during that period as well. He was "assassinated" by a gunshot wound to the abdomen, but if you do a deeper dive, he was actually probably killed from infection introduced by well-meaning physicians with poor sterile technique as they searched for the bullet in his abdomen with dirty hands and instruments. He died 11 weeks after he was shot by overwhelming abdominal infection. Make learning interesting and applicable to yourself so you can remember it easier. That might mean spending more time on material, but at least it'll be fun and you'll learn a ton in the process.
If you are invested in the process and committed to lifelong learning with a persistent attitude, you'll be just fine. Have confidence in yourself.

Jim

Reactions: 5 users
The hardest step is getting into medical school. When choosing your undergraduate, look for a program that has a strong pre-med office that supports you. My undergraduate school's pre-med office was there to support active students and even alumni. I took a gap year and during that time my school helped me with processing all of the paperwork (back when it was still paperwork) as they developed a letter of recommendation packet. When working with that that office they had an almost guarantee of getting an acceptance. Of course they did select out students who they didn't feel would get accepted.

be a kid and enjoy your youth stop worrying about this now

To keep it general...

I think 13 is too young to be thinking about building a resume, and you should focus on being a kid. But it never hurts to develop a little bit of tenacity early on. Learn how to motivate yourself. Being a surgeon requires you to have grit and self drive, but in truth, it is what makes people excel in whatever they are doing. If you end up in surgery, you will need it. If you don't, it will still help you excel more than your peers who slide by.

Be social, make friends, learn how to work in a team concept. I have seen far more surgeons fired by their patients for poor bedside manner and personal interaction, than poor skills or intelligence. If you are someone that people do not get along with, or someone that antagonizes others, then you will have trouble in your path.

See if there’s an AHEC chapter in your area. They offer healthcare shadowing to high schoolers.

Hello everyone. This is my first forum. I am currently a 13-year-old middle schooler in the 8th grade. I want to be a surgeon. I do realize it is early to try and commit myself to a certain profession, I've been told by many people. The thing is I have been interested in the medical field for as long as I can remember, but now that the beginning of high school is so close I'd like to get some advice as to what my next step should look like. Here are some questions I have for surgeons on this site;

Thank you in advance, everyone!
Kaitlyn

I wanted to be a surgeon when I was little too. Now I am doing something a little different but just as satisfying. You never know where your life is going to take you but as long as you keep an open mind, work hard and be kind to yourself and be content with who you are you’ll be alright!

As someone who knew from the age of 5 that I wanted to be a neurosurgeon due to having Chiari (even though I am not there yet and just now getting into medical school at 26) I will give my advice :

1. Continue to enjoy the activities and luxury of being a kid.
2. Start to volunteer with the less fortunate, nothing crazy just maybe a weekend per month.
3. Utilize YouTube when you are having a hard time (this is the most underrated resource and I wish I would have utilized it more).
4. Once college starts EVERY SINGLE CLASS COUNTS. This is not to say that if you get a B or even a W you will not make it. However make sure that you are doing your best from the beginning. I made the mistake of thinking I could retake classes and the old grades would simply disappear. That doesn't happen no matter how many advisors say it does.
5. Spend time with your family. Tell your parents and siblings (or whoever your family is to you) that you love them.

Good luck and go make those dreams into a reality.