I want to be an Optometrist, but..

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amanda C

undergrad
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new here and in need of some advice! (I posted this in the nontrad. section too.)

Here's my situation: I'm a biology/chemistry major at my current university and I'm about 2 credits from having a junior status. I love my major, and I have been able to maintain a decent GPA throughout. I'd LOVE to go to optometry school, however I do have some drawbacks that I'm a little nervous about.

1. I am a single mom (my mom takes care of my daughter so I can go to school, so it's not too hard as far as child care goes)

2. I'd have to commute 1.5 hours each way, if I am accepted to 1 of the 2 possible schools in my area.

Does anyone have any input about commuting and the hardships associated with it? Anything at all is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be losing a total of 3 hours of study time. I'd move closer to the school if I was you. You can use your school loan to pay a baby sitter.

I know someone who began med school with a son and had 2 more kids while in med school/residency. If she can do that, I'm confident that you can. Plus you won't be in opt school as long as med school, so it will be a little easier (hard but for a shorter period of time than med school).

Hi everyone, I am new here and in need of some advice! (I posted this in the nontrad. section too.)

Here's my situation: I'm a biology/chemistry major at my current university and I'm about 2 credits from having a junior status. I love my major, and I have been able to maintain a decent GPA throughout. I'd LOVE to go to optometry school, however I do have some drawbacks that I'm a little nervous about.

1. I am a single mom (my mom takes care of my daughter so I can go to school, so it's not too hard as far as child care goes)

2. I'd have to commute 1.5 hours each way, if I am accepted to 1 of the 2 possible schools in my area.

Does anyone have any input about commuting and the hardships associated with it? Anything at all is greatly appreciated!

You could do it, but you definitely DON'T have 3 hours a day available to lose from driving. On the other hand, they taped all of our lectures so in theory you could have 3 hours a day of uninterrupted listening time (it would probably be better to concentrate on the road, though).

Moving closer won't do you much good if you have to have limited expensive childcare costs. Having mom close will make those all-nighters (yes, there are a few of them) a little easier to swallow. Technically, when I went to SCO I lived 30-45min away so I guess it's not that different.

What are the schools in your area?

Members don't see this ad :)
You could do it, but you definitely DON'T have 3 hours a day available to lose from driving. On the other hand, they taped all of our lectures so in theory you could have 3 hours a day of uninterrupted listening time (it would probably be better to concentrate on the road, though).

Moving closer won't do you much good if you have to have limited expensive childcare costs. Having mom close will make those all-nighters (yes, there are a few of them) a little easier to swallow. Technically, when I went to SCO I lived 30-45min away so I guess it's not that different.

What are the schools in your area?

I live between two schools. One is the State University of New York, and the other is the Pa College of Optometry. The good thing about New York is that I'd be able to just take the bus in every day, so no driving for me (except for the 10 min. drive to the bus station) but that all depends on if I can get accepted. The Pa school would be about 1.5 hours drive for me.

I am extremely appreciative of my mom's help - if it weren't for her I don't know if I'd have even gone to college. I live with her, and we spoke about optometry school. She's really supportive and basically would serve as a live-in nanny for my daughter.

How many hours on average is spent in class every day?

if you go to suny, itll be 9-3 on a good day and if unlucky 9-7 on a bad day...this is for first year

it gets worst from there, culminating in 9-730 on a good day in fourth year to 9-830 on a bad day. Oh and you need to study and practice

if you go to suny, itll be 9-3 on a good day and if unlucky 9-7 on a bad day...this is for first year

it gets worst from there, culminating in 9-730 on a good day in fourth year to 9-830 on a bad day. Oh and you need to study and practice

Right. Studying/practicing I'm expecting. Class time I wasn't sure of, thanks for the info.

There is a couple in nyc who have an apartment I'd probably use as needed on days when I'd have to pull an all nighter..

Thanks everyone, for all the info so far! I really appreciate it :)

I live between two schools. One is the State University of New York, and the other is the Pa College of Optometry. The good thing about New York is that I'd be able to just take the bus in every day, so no driving for me (except for the 10 min. drive to the bus station) but that all depends on if I can get accepted. The Pa school would be about 1.5 hours drive for me.

I am extremely appreciative of my mom's help - if it weren't for her I don't know if I'd have even gone to college. I live with her, and we spoke about optometry school. She's really supportive and basically would serve as a live-in nanny for my daughter.

How many hours on average is spent in class every day?

For SCO (and I imagine that they're all pretty similar) we had classes/labs starting at 8:00 and went until 4:00. Farther down the path you will have clinic days that will tie you up until 7-8:00. SUNY wouldn't be a bad gig if you had an two hours by train to study.

Well, you could do what a few of my classmates do...Never show up for lectures, listen to the mp3's posted online from home, and only go in for labs, and clinic.

Well, you could do what a few of my classmates do...Never show up for lectures, listen to the mp3's posted online from home, and only go in for labs, and clinic.

Don't the professors take attendance?

Some do via pop quizes, but I don't agree with that. You are tested on so many levels by so many people (staff, NBEO) that in my opinion it really doesn't matter where you learn the material. If you know it, you know it and if you don't you wash out.

Interesting point. I don't think that's something I could say I'll do until I actually start school and figure out whether that's possible. But knowing that it's even possible to listen to the lectures online is a little comforting!

Umm no, this isn't grade school... there are only a few mandatory lectures, and some professors give bonus points for attendance, but IMHO if they need to give bonus points to get you in the lecture hall their class isn't worth sitting through:cool:

So for first year at ICO I heard you have quizzes at 8am and then lectures 1-4pm, Monday thru Friday? So when are labs? How often are quizzes and tests? Can someone break down the exact schedule for a first year at ICO?

This is much more common than you would think. You do have to attend some lectures and labs but many students achieve good grades by spending their time and energy on study and preparing for exams. Personally, I think they miss out on some things that they are paying for with high tuitions.
But I must admit it does work for students who achieve quite good grades with the skip class and study more approach.

This is much more common than you would think. You do have to attend some lectures and labs but many students achieve good grades by spending their time and energy on study and preparing for exams. Personally, I think they miss out on some things that they are paying for with high tuitions.
But I must admit it does work for students who achieve quite good grades with the skip class and study more approach.

I was one of those guys. I am not a very efficient auditory learner so I spent my time reading notes and transcripts. My test average was always in the top 15% of the class. I don't really feel that I missed anything by not sitting through bored professors giving uninspired lectures.

I was one of those guys. I am not a very efficient auditory learner so I spent my time reading notes and transcripts. My test average was always in the top 15% of the class. I don't really feel that I missed anything by not sitting through bored professors giving uninspired lectures.

I am that way in undergrad. I don't learn anything from lectures. But I still go to class so that I can record the lectures and take notes or whatever the professor writes on the board and study from them later. If I don't attend lectures, I feel like I'm missing something (stuff the prof. writes on the board, exam date change, announcements, info that isn't in the text, etc.). Plus, some profs. take attendance that lowers your grades if you do not attend.

An organic chemistry professor at my university is also that way. I took a remedial organic course with a class of about 10 students and the organic professor said that when he was in undergrad, he had a short tension span and he could not sit in class and learn. He would have to open the book and read and basically teach himself.

This is generally NOT a good idea....

The biggest predictor of success in college is NOT your high school GPA, your SAT scores, or your extracurricular activities. It is your ATTENDANCE record. I do not know if there has been studies done on the professional school level but logic would dictate that there should be a similar correlation.

Yes, there are a few students who do quite well with the skip class and study approach, but anecdotally in my class and the class behind me the weaker students were the ones who skipped the most class with rare exception.

Not only that...you're paying tens of thousands of dollars for this education. Why not show up and listen to what they have to say?

I strongly encourage people to attend class.

I have an interesting perspective for you. I have a 3 and 6 year old, and we now live about 6 hours from any family or friends other than those that I have met here. My closest friend is a single mom of a 5 year old. She lives with her parents. In my mind, there is absolutely no doubt that you should stay with your mom! Moving closer will not be worth it. Finding a good, reliable, trustworthy babysitter in a new town is harder than getting in to Optometry School! I don't know the age of your child, but it is not easy getting up, getting your child(ren) ready for school or daycare after you've been up until 2am studying. Sometimes we've had schedules where we're in class or school from 10-3 a day or two in a week, but it has mostly been 8-5 five days a week. Then, after being in class all day, you have to go pick up your kids, feed them, bathe them, address any school or daycare issues they've had, etc,.....you probably get the kids to bed by 8pm if you're lucky. Now you are EXHAUSTED, and get to START studying for the day while taking frequent breaks to try to do laundry and keep the house decently clean. And, forget any quiet moments to yourself, there is no time for it. So, trust me, the 3 hour drive will be worth the invaluable help you will get from your mom. You can use it for alone time, and even better you can listen to mp3's of the days lecture, or talk on the cell phone (via handsfree set of course) with a classmate talking through things like you would in a study group. But you will lose those 3 hours in taking care of your child. Not to mention, the most important issue here....not only do you sacrifice to go to school, but your child is forced to make a sacrifice. There are times that my boys beg for my attention, and I give them as much as I can, but at some point I have to break away and stuff my brain with as much information as it will hold. The bottom line...when you have to break away to study or practice slit lamp for tomorrows practical, you need to know that your child is with someone who, next to you, loves her more than anyone else can and that she is getting the love and attention that she deserves. And that she's not with some babysitter who is going to watch tv or talk on her cell phone all night.

And PS, you will get so much more out of going to class. I never went to class in undergrad, but in Optometry school, there is too much information to keep up with. There are a lot of concepts that make more sense the 'second' time you hear them, and you will get more out of actually being there to hear them.

But, OD school will be worth it in the long run, for you and your child. I'm glad I chose it, I'm sure it's easier to get throught school without kids...but, there are plenty of people who get through with kids. Just don't underestimate the importance of support from your family.

I have an interesting perspective for you. I have a 3 and 6 year old, and we now live about 6 hours from any family or friends other than those that I have met here. My closest friend is a single mom of a 5 year old. She lives with her parents. In my mind, there is absolutely no doubt that you should stay with your mom! Moving closer will not be worth it. Finding a good, reliable, trustworthy babysitter in a new town is harder than getting in to Optometry School! I don't know the age of your child, but it is not easy getting up, getting your child(ren) ready for school or daycare after you've been up until 2am studying. Sometimes we've had schedules where we're in class or school from 10-3 a day or two in a week, but it has mostly been 8-5 five days a week. Then, after being in class all day, you have to go pick up your kids, feed them, bathe them, address any school or daycare issues they've had, etc,.....you probably get the kids to bed by 8pm if you're lucky. Now you are EXHAUSTED, and get to START studying for the day while taking frequent breaks to try to do laundry and keep the house decently clean. And, forget any quiet moments to yourself, there is no time for it. So, trust me, the 3 hour drive will be worth the invaluable help you will get from your mom. You can use it for alone time, and even better you can listen to mp3's of the days lecture, or talk on the cell phone (via handsfree set of course) with a classmate talking through things like you would in a study group. But you will lose those 3 hours in taking care of your child. Not to mention, the most important issue here....not only do you sacrifice to go to school, but your child is forced to make a sacrifice. There are times that my boys beg for my attention, and I give them as much as I can, but at some point I have to break away and stuff my brain with as much information as it will hold. The bottom line...when you have to break away to study or practice slit lamp for tomorrows practical, you need to know that your child is with someone who, next to you, loves her more than anyone else can and that she is getting the love and attention that she deserves. And that she's not with some babysitter who is going to watch tv or talk on her cell phone all night.

And PS, you will get so much more out of going to class. I never went to class in undergrad, but in Optometry school, there is too much information to keep up with. There are a lot of concepts that make more sense the 'second' time you hear them, and you will get more out of actually being there to hear them.

But, OD school will be worth it in the long run, for you and your child. I'm glad I chose it, I'm sure it's easier to get throught school without kids...but, there are plenty of people who get through with kids. Just don't underestimate the importance of support from your family.

Thanks for that! It's nice to know there are others out there doing the same thing. If you don't mind me asking, are you a single parent or are you married?

I know my mom is definitely the best person to take care of my daughter. She thinks of her as a second mother and even though I know I'd miss her a lot I think it would be too hard to leave her with anyone else. So, you're right!

You are quite welcome. I am married. It would have been almost impossible without my husband, since my closest family is over 5 hours away. And...we haven't had the best luck with babysitters.

My friend that I mentioned is a single parent, and she decided to stay with her parents and drive about 1 hour and 15 min. each way. And she doesn't have the sitter problem!