Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scooby-Doo

Hi. I was considering of being an MD, but after reserching about DO, I reconsidered. How do I go about applying for DO school. Is it like AMCAS or is individual application for every DO school?
Here is my info: I just graduated from college in December of 2006. I graduated with a 3.53 GPA. I have volunteered at two hospitals, currently working as a CNA, volunteered as an assistant basketball coach, soon to volunteer at a shelter for women and children and as research lab assistant. I plan on entering medical school in 2008. Can someone point me to the right direction. I'm new to the DO application process.

jp104

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2004
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
AACOMAS is the equivalent of the AMCAS application process. You fill out your personal statement, desginate DO schools to apply to, fill in your transcript info, etc

About the Ads

Dr.Inviz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi. I was considering of being an MD, but after reserching about DO, I reconsidered. How do I go about applying for DO school. Is it like AMCAS or is individual application for every DO school?
Here is my info: I just graduated from college in December of 2006. I graduated with a 3.53 GPA. I have volunteered at two hospitals, currently working as a CNA, volunteered as an assistant basketball coach, soon to volunteer at a shelter for women and children and as research lab assistant. I plan on entering medical school in 2008. Can someone point me to the right direction. I'm new to the DO application process.

Decent GPA .. how 'bout that MCAT?? ;)

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2002
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Welcome to DO forum and good luck to u:)

grinchick5

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Holy crap people!!! I know it’s been said before, but I'm sayin' it again:

No offense, but many of us did VERY WELL on the MCAT and chose to go DO.

Sure, it’s true that DO matriculants have, on average, lower MCAT scores, but a poor MCAT score isn’t the only reason people go DO. I’m so damn tired of people on SDN assuming that Osteopathic Applicant = Sub-par MCAT score. Get over it! :mad:

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
No offense, but many of us did VERY WELL on the MCAT and chose to go DO. Osteopathy is no longer the bastard step-child of medicine./QUOTE]

If MANY of you did "very well".....the average would be higher. Or did you not take statistics? You're exhibiting the same bias towards my assumption that DO matriculants did not do as well on the MCAT or in regards to their GPA, but my assumption is based on the average GPA and MCAT scores. What is your bias based upon?

Ossari

BigPhish
10+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2006
Miami, FL
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
No offense, but many of us did VERY WELL on the MCAT and chose to go DO. Osteopathy is no longer the bastard step-child of medicine./QUOTE]

If MANY of you did "very well".....the average would be higher. Or did you not take statistics? You're exhibiting the same bias towards my assumption that DO matriculants did not do as well on the MCAT or in regards to their GPA, but my assumption is based on the average GPA and MCAT scores. What is your bias based upon?
your bias seems to be more cuz ur an ass!!!! lol

PS. my stats were pretty decent

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think it's more accurate and fair to say that the MCAT isn't necessarily a sound measure of one's capacity to be a doctor, but serves as a marginal prediction of one's performance in medical school (first two years) as measured by GPA and the USMLE Step I. It's correlations with these numbers are not that great to begin with, but the MCAT does have some predictive value.

It's also fair to say that the average MCAT score for a matriculant tends to be lower in DO schools than MD schools (although, it seems that this gap is closing some), since that's precisely what the data show. However, it also seems true that DO schools use other factors to determine an applicant's ability to handle medical school and capacity to become a doctor. Thus, they admit a broader range of test scores. Given that DO schools produce excellent clinicians, I'd say that their admissions process works pretty well. :D

jp104

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2004
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Oh geeze, can't we get one thread in here that doesn't become MD vs DO. I mean c'mon the OP was just seeking advice on how to start the application process.

Let's talk about something more productive....like how is everyone spending this glorious 3 day weekend! :thumbup:

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2002
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Statistics is not everything ... A year ago I used to think the same, but talking to MDs and DOs and being more open minded towards some things made me change my mind. I also agree with somebody who posted that only pre-meds pay lots of attention to MD vs DO thing. Things are different in the real world.

About the Ads

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2005
A bar room in Mombasa drinking gin
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
I think it's more accurate and fair to say that the MCAT isn't necessarily a sound measure of one's capacity to be a doctor, but serves as a marginal prediction of one's performance in medical school (first two years) as measured by GPA and the USMLE Step I.

Agreed.

Given that DO schools produce excellent clinicians, I'd say that their admissions process works pretty well.

Agreed. My problem is that people assume I'm a dick for wondering why anyone would choose a lesser school (a DO program is akin to the bottom tier of allopathic schools in my book), if you have a chance to attend a better program unless you have geographic considerations (need to be near family because of an ill parent or whatever). To do so over a bunch of bull**** "differences" or a "philosophy" is something I can't see a rational choice for.

S

Scooby-Doo

some of deadlines are expired. Does this mean I can't apply for their 2008 matriculation? I also plan on taking the MCAT in July. Is that too late to be accepted in 2008.

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2002
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
some of deadlines are expired. Does this mean I can't apply for their 2008 matriculation? I also plan on taking the MCAT in July. Is that too late to be accepted in 2008.

Not for 2008 :) 2008 is a next year you are in a good shape.

DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Oh geeze, can't we get one thread in here that doesn't become MD vs DO. I mean c'mon the OP was just seeking advice on how to start the application process.

Let's talk about something more productive....like how is everyone spending this glorious 3 day weekend! :thumbup:

If it was warmer, BBQ!

The averages for BOTH DO and MD matriculants are going up. Damn the competitive world!

jp104

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2004
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

2008 matriculation hasn't opened yet. DO schools interview until May for the 2007 class and most have deadlines until Feb/March or so to turn in materials. All of that info is on the AACOMAS application. Good luck!

PS: Taty :( Take a sick day!:laugh:

S

Scooby-Doo

Not for 2008 :) 2008 is a next year you are in a good shape.

The AACOMAS application process is not the same as AMCAS application process, where you must apply a year ahead to get into next year's matriculation?

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2002
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I agree a very great deal. Other than some of the extra hoops a DO has to jump through and the POSSIBLE difficulty in getting into a truly competitive residency, there is no difference.

I agree about "extra hoops" I guess I am pretty much set on taking double boards and on prooving myself all the time :) Well I use to it already :) I was through worse and made it out, I will handle that too :)

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Well, I think it plays to general insecurities. Individuals who are secure in their choice don't need to get all huffy about it or defend it, etc. :D

I'm flying to KC, MO on Monday for my interview at KCUMB. I think it's a great school and I'm excited to be interviewing there. :thumbup:

About the Ads

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
The AACOMAS application process is not the same as AMCAS application process, where you must apply a year ahead to get into next year's matriculation?

This application period is essentially over, for a Fall 2007 matriculation. You will probably want to start your application in June 2007 for a Fall 2008 matriculation date.

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2002
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

It works the same way. In 2006 I applied for the incoming August of 2007. In 2007 you will apply for incoming August of 2008.

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2002
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
This application period is essentially over, for a Fall 2007 matriculation. You will probably want to start your application in June 2007 for a Fall 2008 matriculation date.

Agree. Start in June 2007 for the August 2008. Right now it is only beginning of 2007 :)

twohearted

The whistle go . . .
10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I've never really understood the DO vs. MD philosophy difference. Sure, when the profession began it was very different, but today it seems the same. The only difference that I can see is that DOs unfortunately have to learn some back cracking stuff. In all other regards however, they are the same. It just seems like a crutch. Not to bash DOs though. I have a great deal of respect for all physicians. I mean there are DOs who are neurosurgeons. Do you honestly think those guys treat their patients with a different "philosophy" than an MD?

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2002
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I've never really understood the DO vs. MD philosophy difference. Sure, when the profession began it was very different, but today it seems the same. The only difference that I can see is that DOs unfortunately have to learn some back cracking stuff. In all other regards however, they are the same. It just seems like a crutch. Not to bash DOs though. I have a great deal of respect for all physicians. I mean there are DOs who are neurosurgeons. Do you honestly think those guys treat their patients with a different "philosophy" than an MD?

Nope, no difference :) I would not mind to learn some back cracking stuff. I will practice on my family :)

One of my friends had ortho surgery after the car accident. His surgeon was a DO. My friend was thinking that D.O= Doctor of Orthopedics until I explained him that it is Doctor of Osteopathy. As u see patients dont care..they just care to be healthy and they really dont bother with initials

kealaq

Child, Adolescent & Adult Psychiatrist
10+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2006
San Francisco
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
scooby-doo,
Application info aside, you should shadow one more more osteopathic physicians for more information.

Shadow a variety of DO's in primary care/family medicine to other specialties. A good place to start looking for DO's to shadow is the AOA website: www.osteopathic.org.

Ask questions about ostepathic training & philosophy, OMT, their own medical school & allopathic vs osteopathic residency experiences, etc & then maybe you'll have a better picture of why you want to become a DO.

Good luck with your next application!

S

Scooby-Doo

Agree. Start in June 2007 for the August 2008. Right now it is only beginning of 2007 :)

The most important thing that I am worried about is guaranteeing a spot in any DO school because there is only a limited number of them.

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
The most important thing that I am worried about is guaranteeing a spot in any DO school because there is only a limited number of them.

One thing you'll learn soon enough, is that there are no guarantees in medical school admissions. You can enhance your chances of receiving an intervew by applying as soon as AACOMAS allows you to. Being the early bird who exercises due care in preparing his application gives you an edge in the process for sure.

About the Ads

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2002
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

Apply as soon as you'll get your score. I appled late was verified around Noveber 13the because AACOMAS screwed up my stuff and still have an acceptance :)

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2002
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
One thing you'll learn soon enough, is that there are no guarantees in medical school admissions. You can enhance your chances of receiving an intervew by applying as soon as AACOMAS allows you to.

Yea, agree...u never know...

grinchick5

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Sorry all, my intention was not to hijack this thread. So, ignore this if you must, but I feel it necessary to clarify my point. All I was saying is that it gets frustrating when people consistently assume future DOs picked Osteopathic schools b/c they couldn’t cut it anywhere else. This may be true for some (maybe even a majority), but surely not all DO students.

DKM, just b/c you can’t imagine why an “MD-worthy” candidate would chose a DO program doesn’t mean such a scenario is an impossibility.

I’m very secure in my choice. I just don’t appreciate individuals making unfounded assumptions regarding the motivation of others. For all any of you know, the OP's MCAT could be higher than any of ours.

Sorry, I know we've been over this a million times........

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Sorry all, my intention was not to hijack this thread. So, ignore this if you must, but I feel it necessary to clarify my point. All I was saying is that it gets frustrating when people consistently assume future DOs picked Osteopathic schools b/c they couldn't cut it anywhere else. This may be true for some (maybe even a majority), but surely not all DO students.

DKM, just b/c you can't imagine why an "MD-worthy" candidate would chose a DO program doesn't mean such a scenario is an impossibility.

I'm very secure in my choice. I just don't appreciate individuals making unfounded assumptions regarding the motivation of others. For all any of you know, the OP's MCAT could be higher than any of ours.

Sorry, I know we've been over this a million times........

Well, I don't think your comment was such a sideline, and I think I understand your frustration. The OP will likely encounter some of this in his process, anyway. Why not bring it out sooner than later? Besides, I think it actually turned out to be kind of informative.

Anyway, I'm at the point in my process where I just kind of sit back and get the popcorn when I see the beginning of such discussions. :laugh:

grinchick5

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Anyway, I'm at the point in my process where I just kind of sit back and get the popcorn when I see the beginning of such discussions. :laugh:

Normally it's a personal policy not to become invovled in such debates. Not sure what got into me.:confused: :D

W

WALKE219

For the record, I did very well on my MCAT, and the average stats at MSUCOM are 3.57 and 28 mcat... Pretty comparable to a lot of allo schools.

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Thank you for all your help. I want to shadow an osteopathic doctor but how do I go about finding one?

See FAQs:

FAQ said:
How do I/Should I shadow a DO?

A good place to start is in contacting your state Osteopathic Medicine Society either via the web or phone and asking for a local list of physicians. Another way is to check out your local hospital, if they have a website that is best. Many schools suggest that you shadow a DO before applying and it is a requirement for others. Here are some opinions on this matter:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=234750
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=233228
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=228068
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=225110

lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2006
crazyland
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm flying to KC, MO on Monday for my interview at KCUMB. I think it's a great school and I'm excited to be interviewing there. :thumbup:

Hey, good luck on Monday. Have you been to KCUMB yet? I really liked the school and to a certain extent wish I was there learning OMM. I like the school I currently attend, but OMM is something I'm interested in.
You're in luck, its supposed to warm up some Sunday and Monday. Maybe even up to 55 degrees. Its currently 25 degrees and snowing. Yesterday it we had a high of 9 degrees.

I definitely believe that osteopathic schools are just as good as allopathic schools. In ways they can be better. (OMM, more personalized mentorships, etc) And concerning the MCAT thing, is there really a huge difference between 28 and 32? Really, it can come down to the test or to the day that the test was taken. And is there that big of a difference between a 24 and a 28? For instance, my MCAT was a 28 ONLY because I performed VERY well on the verbal section. Why should my MCAT score be percieved as much better than someone who's score was lower but more equal between sections (8s across the board instead of 12, 7, 9)

Vox Animo

Runs with Scissors
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2006
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Agreed.

Agreed. My problem is that people assume I'm a dick for wondering why anyone would choose a lesser school (a DO program is akin to the bottom tier of allopathic schools in my book), if you have a chance to attend a better program unless you have geographic considerations (need to be near family because of an ill parent or whatever). To do so over a bunch of bull**** "differences" or a "philosophy" is something I can't see a rational choice for.

I know this sounds crazy, but maybe some students chose DO because they wanted to learn OMM. :D Of course I know that these students are in the minority of the total, so don't bother pointing that out.

And grades vary widely school to school. My school's average GPA, MCAT and number of applicants per year is much higher than most DO schools, and has been rising faster year to year than the average of the entire DO student population. We get over 4000 applicants per year. We may even (gasp) surpass the stats of some MD schools.

Our rotations are equivalent or better to the surrounding MD schools. You have to look at all these things by school because you may be better off going DO.

Northerner

Coquettish Haberdasher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2002
Status (Visible)
And concerning the MCAT thing, is there really a huge difference between 28 and 32? Really, it can come down to the test or to the day that the test was taken. And is there that big of a difference between a 24 and a 28? For instance, my MCAT was a 28 ONLY because I performed VERY well on the verbal section. Why should my MCAT score be percieved as much better than someone who's score was lower but more equal between sections (8s across the board instead of 12, 7, 9)

Arguing that a 28 is basically equivalent to a 32 is not an effective way to argue for DO school strength. You're hurting your cause.

lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2006
crazyland
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Arguing that a 28 is basically equivalent to a 32 is not an effective way to argue for DO school strength. You're hurting your cause.

I don't have a cause here. I'm an MD student.
I found in my practice tests that I scored differently on different tests. All I'm saying is that a lower score does not necessarily mean anything about their knowledge or reasoning. It might if an individual consistantly scores low, but how would we know that?

spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey, good luck on Monday. Have you been to KCUMB yet? I really liked the school and to a certain extent wish I was there learning OMM. I like the school I currently attend, but OMM is something I'm interested in.

Thank you. I can use all the luck can I get. I haven't visited KCUMB before, nor have I been to KC, MO, but from all the research I've done on the school, I feel that I would love it there. I guess there's really only one way to find out, though. I really do like their curriculum, at least as it appears on paper. Also, I'm very much into OMM as a treatment modality, too. I was a yoga teacher for many years, so I'm somewhat accustomed to viewing certain aspects of treatment/wellness from a neuromusculoskeletal approach. I'd love to continue learning more about it and getting more hands on. Also, I've been told by many of my clients that my touch is very therapeutic, and I've been somehow able to zero in on the aspects of the musculoskeletal system that needed some attention or adjustment in my clients. I'd like to continue developing what I consider as a strength.

You're in luck, its supposed to warm up some Sunday and Monday. Maybe even up to 55 degrees. Its currently 25 degrees and snowing. Yesterday it we had a high of 9 degrees.

Awesome! I was afraid of hitting snow and bad weather. Looks like I'm in the clear. :cool:

I definitely believe that osteopathic schools are just as good as allopathic schools. In ways they can be better. (OMM, more personalized mentorships, etc) And concerning the MCAT thing, is there really a huge difference between 28 and 32? Really, it can come down to the test or to the day that the test was taken. And is there that big of a difference between a 24 and a 28? For instance, my MCAT was a 28 ONLY because I performed VERY well on the verbal section. Why should my MCAT score be percieved as much better than someone who's score was lower but more equal between sections (8s across the board instead of 12, 7, 9)

Agree. My score fluctuated some in practice, but I was regularly hitting between 28 and 33. I got freaked out by the PS section on the actual test and it hurt my overall score. I think we might be score twins, because I have the exact same score and breakdown, only in a different order: 9, 7, 12. :D

Northerner

Coquettish Haberdasher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2002
Status (Visible)
I'm not. I'm an MD student.
I found in my practice tests that I scored differently on different tests. I'm giving people the benefit of the doubt is what I'm doing. If I run into someone who performs more poorly than I did, to me, that means very little.

Of course, on that scale (1 to 1) it doesn't mean anything. Attributable to any number of legitimate factors that could be totally unrelated to academic performance or suitability for medical school, and I think we'd all agree.

Still, statistically speaking, a school with a 28 average MCAT is attracting a different caliber student than one with a 32 average MCAT. The 28 schools aren't just getting all the applicants who had diarrhea the day they took the MCAT, year after year.

MountainEM

Mountain Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Judging by this comment:

I'm guessing that it's towards the lower end of the scale.

Dropkick-

I normally dont comment on the whole md vs do thing but...
You are consistently a condescending dick. Your comments are often snide and unproductive. I also have a hard time understanding why you spend so much time on the osteopathic forum if you have little to no respect for its applicants or the programs. I think I have seen this similar comment about 10 times from you and it gets old and lame. If you want me to dredge through all your old posts and find them, I will, but I have better things to do than sit on SDN all day as it seems you do. You also don't need to respond to every thread out there. I am sure your divine insight is not needed on every [email protected] thread. You seem like a know it all and your posts in the residency forum have the air that you are on par with residents which is simply stupid.
Sorry for the personal attack but then again, maybe I am not, seeing that you insult people, their dreams and goals, and the osteopathic field constantly. There are real differences-try a whole class (OMM) on touching, moving, and palpating patients. Your ignorance and stuck up attitude is getting old and weary to those of us who have to read it over and over.

PS. Before you go through my md apps and tear apart my mcat and discuss how I applied to both osteo and allo and only got into osteo, I want you to know that I don't give a flying [email protected] what you say anymore.

dave

NickRiviera

MS-Never
10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Springfield, IL
Status (Visible)
dkmsucksoz0.jpg

:D

About the Ads
Status
Not open for further replies.