I want to become a doctor but I have no motivation. Help?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heeeycourt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dropped out of high school, so now I'm planning on getting my GED. I haven't got my GED yet because I feel so discouraged. I really want to become a doctor and I know that I have a long road ahead of me, but I'm willing to take that step because I have nothing stopping me. But I have no motivation whatsoever and it's so frustrating. Seeing doctors motivate me a little bit. Is there anybody that got their GED and going the medical school route? All advice is welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Take it one step at a time. Medical schools care about how well you do in college and don't really look at your high school performance. However, if you do have an interesting story to tell (raised in an underprivileged background, for example), they will look upon it favorably if you show that you learned and grew from that experience.
Why not shadow your doctor or those in the neighborhood?

Get a job where you will be around many different health care careers. Nobody can fix your motivation but you. When you decide you want to pursue medicine more than anything else in life you just might do something about it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Motivation fades and goes away. It's fickle. Motivation doesn't actually get you anywhere.

You know what does? Discipline. You need to have the discipline to do what you need to do even when you have no motivation.

I failed out of college in 2002 with two semesters of straight Fs. Now I'm an MS2. I had motivation, but that's not what got me here. Discipline did.

Reactions: 12 users
Motivation fades and goes away. It's fickle. Motivation doesn't actually get you anywhere.

You know what does? Discipline. You need to have the discipline to do what you need to do even when you have no motivation.

I failed out of college in 2002 with two semesters of straight Fs. Now I'm an MS2. I had motivation, but that's not what got me here. Discipline did.
Such truth, Never had much motivation for school, but decided that it was important enough for my time and effort. Now happily applying to med schools and looking forward to a great profession.

Volunteer with patients.

I dropped out of high school, so now I'm planning on getting my GED. I haven't got my GED yet because I feel so discouraged. I really want to become a doctor and I know that I have a long road ahead of me, but I'm willing to take that step because I have nothing stopping me. But I have no motivation whatsoever and it's so frustrating. Seeing doctors motivate me a little bit. Is there anybody that got their GED and going the medical school route? All advice is welcome!

I got my GED, spent a year and a half at community college doing some non-science classes, transferred to a 4 year and did prereqs. I currently have a 4.0 and I am applying this round.
You have to make the first step.

I second this. This is my exact story except I failed out in 2008 and am only now just applying. I haven't gotten in yet, but my application is just as competitive as the next guys. And this is spot on. Discipline is by far more important.

So what you're saying is that you don't want to be a doctor, but just want to be called a doctor and have a few initials after your name? You have no motivation; that's the problem. Find something you like, then go and do that.

Why don't you start small, when GED classes, taking volunteering, patient care classes, etc, anything that can keep you involve in medine?

I don't get this.

I agree motovarion is fickle, and you need discipline for when it wanes, but saying you want to be a doctor but have no motivation?

Is this a troll?

I don't get it at all.

There's no advice that's going to do it for you.

You only get to med school and through it by being fairly good, or at least decent, at school. Period.

So pull up your man-pants and get to work, whatever you wind up doing.

Maybe that Tony guy with "The Secret" or some self help book can help with motivation, but I got nada for you.

To be fair, if you meant discouraged or like a lack of motivation is part of some deeper mental health/psychological issue, counseling or seeing a doc for that might help.

Reactions: 1 users
Reread your OP.

If this has to do with getting your GED, yes you can come back from this but you will need to bust ass and have good strategy to get a DO/MD slot if that's what you really want.

Whether you should, well, I'll leave that for you to read in other threads.

This was exactly what I needed to see. Check out my post. I flunked out of college as well.