I Want To Become A Nurse Practitioner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigned

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a B.S. in a liberal arts field and then later went back and got an Associates in Nursing. I have been an RN for 13 years.
What is the quickest/easiest route to become a N/P? I am wanting to practice in Texas.
Thanks.:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I have a B.S. in a liberal arts field and then later went back and got an Associates in Nursing. I have been an RN for 13 years.
What is the quickest/easiest route to become a N/P? I am wanting to practice in Texas.

There are lots of nursing schools in Texas. Most of them offer a MSN which is around 2 years, full time.

Here's one to get you started:
http://www.utexas.edu/nursing/html/academics/msn.html

Some schools may require a BSN before you can start. You can either do a 11-15 month 2nd degree BSN or a RN to BSN program if a program you are interested in requires that.

With a previous BA degree and your RN credentials there are also MANY RN to MSN programs designed for those with BS/BAs in non-nursing areas. This might save you some time and avoid getting a BSN for no reason - unless the particular school you desire to attend requires it.
Most MSN programs have class pre-reqs. If you go to AACN website or search google there are listings of schools who have the RN to MSN program with previous non-nursing degree... also petereson's nursing book has it - available at most libraries...
good luck,

Members don't see this ad :)
The link I provided you with is for UT-Austin which does NOT require a BSN. They require an active RN license and a bachelors degree.

Some programs require a BSN.

Some programs do have the RN-MSN.

I would think the first would be your easiest & quickest bet.

It says an RN-MSN program takes 3 years to complete.

an RN-BSN or 2nd degree BSN program takes 1 year and a traditional MSN takes 2 years.

Since it doesn't take any extra time to get the BSN, I personally would go that route. Obviously, just my opinion.

I know some RN-MSN programs do award the BSN while others do not. Personally, I would rather go to a program that awarded me the BSN since you are doing the coursework anyways.

If you've been an RN for 13 years, I'm surprised you have to ask this question.

*sigh*

I can't believe us--bunch of cowards, each waiting for somebody to call it!
Too funny!

that's funny.

speaking of fast/quick...
it's not fast food,
it's good food fast (unless you're near the one by my place, where they are more interested in making you wait as they talk about last night while picking their hair and shining their nails)...

Members don't see this ad :)
Still not as bad as a thread on the PA forum entitled "Low GPA, No Experience, Schools?"

Uhh...are you even going to try?

Still not as bad as a thread on the PA forum entitled "Low GPA, No Experience, Schools?"

Uhh...are you even going to try?

well, the "A" for effort should raise that GPA a bit..

:confused: After someone gets a masters degree in nursing, what is required to become a nurse practitioner? Thanks

Bigned,

You are the same previous posted who has been an "RN for 13 years and is looking for the fastest and easiest way to become an NP".

I can't say that I haven't asked questions that seemed silly/stupid to other students or that I haven't contributed comments that were not always agreed upon......

BUT you cannot keep asking questions with NO thought of your own - this SDN has a higher caliber than the average crappy internet forum. Please take either 1min of your own time, 1 simple step of your own investigation or perhaps drawing upon 1 moment of your 13 years as an RN.... have you ever worked adjacent or near a ARNP? Perhaps asking them? Perhaps looking at a schools program... or a GOOGLE search.. or one of the nursing credentialing bodies.... This forum is helpful as you can draw from experience and opinions of others.. that should not be substituted for things that you should really try to investigate on your own as well. At first - I thought this post was another troll or spam or joke... but I've reviewed your previous posts...
in the words of G.O.B. "C'mooooooooooon"

Perhaps I am being hypercritical... one of the regulars will soon post and I can see if I'm out of line... perhaps even someone from the nursing variety
...I just woke up and my coffee was apparently all used up and am a bit coffee grumpy. grrrr

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you even bothered to do any of your own research? With all the colleges and universities available via their home pages, physical addresses, email, telephone, etc, are you saying that you haven't made any attempts to speak to someone about how to reach your goals?

I'm starting to wonder about you...

:confused: After someone gets a masters degree in nursing, what is required to become a nurse practitioner? Thanks

Last edited:
Have you even bothered to do any of your own research? With all the colleges and universities available via their home pages, physical addresses, email, telephone, etc, are you saying that you haven't made any attempts to speak to someone about how to reach your goals?

I'm starting to wonder about you...

ESPECIALLY someone who has been an RN for 13 years...

OK, I can't take it anymore.

Bigned, you simply don't have what it takes to be a nurse practitioner. Oh, you may have the requisite intellect for it. I'm just saying you're too lazy. I'm surprised you even got through a nursing program (if you really did--personally, I think you're just a troll).

Stop wasting fooling around with this trolling. You have no intention of becoming an NP. You're too lazy to even do a Google search. Go back to sleep, now. :sleep:

Bigned is also looking for a dental school outside of the US...I think s/he is just confused as to whether or no s/he wants to be a dentist or an NP.

OK, I can't take it anymore.

Bigned, you simply don't have what it takes to be a nurse practitioner. Oh, you may have the requisite intellect for it. I'm just saying you're too lazy. I'm surprised you even got through a nursing program (if you really did--personally, I think you're just a troll).

Stop wasting fooling around with this trolling. You have no intention of becoming an NP. You're too lazy to even do a Google search. Go back to sleep, now. :sleep:

It takes next to no effort to do a Google search. Anyone who has been a nurse that long knows about allnurses.com and knows that there is a ton of information on that site about how to go about pursuing an NP education.

It's hinkey; that's all I'm saying.

Amen! Or, the time it took to open an account and post a question, this person could have simply searched the "academics", "programs", etc. sections of schools in his/her state.

It takes next to no effort to do a Google search. Anyone who has been a nurse that long knows about allnurses.com and knows that there is a ton of information on that site about how to go about pursuing an NP education.

It's hinkey; that's all I'm saying.

foreign dental schools?
drive-thru NP degrees?
hmmm, something's not right..

i do have to admit,
what's hinkey?
i don't have the time nor the skills
to do this "google" thing you all speak of...
:cool:

hinky=suspicious

By way of a movie reference, I give you The Fugitive:

Marshall Biggs: It's hinky, Sam. I mean, this guy is a college graduate. He became a doctor. I mean, he ain't gonna go through here with all this security. Hinky.

Deputy Marshal Samuel Gerard: Biggs, what does that mean, hinky?

Marshal Biggs: I don't know. Strange. Weird

Deputy Marshal Samuel Gerard: Well, why don't you say strange or weird? I mean hinky, that has no meaning.

Marshal Biggs: Well, we say hinky.

Deputy Marshal Samuel Gerard: I don't want you guys using words with no meaning.

Marshal Biggs: [sotto voice] How about 'bull****?' How about 'bull****,' Sam?

What's wrong when someone is older and wants to switch careers as quickly and as easily as possible? Who wants to spend a lot of time and money to pursue a new career when they're 47, maybe have a family, a mortgage to pay, etc?

However, it is responsibility of any profession to not drop its standards just to accommodate these students. If someone wants to go to medical or dental school at 47, go right ahead, but they will have to work as hard and put in the same amount of time as the 22 year old. The online, part-time DNP is an obvious cop out to accommodate those busy nurses so that they can work, have a family, enjoy their weekends while going to school at the same time -- and why nobody takes the degree seriously.

Well here I am. I turned 47 years old recently, my child graduated and I have been a Registered nurse for approximately 15 years. I have a B.S. degree. I have NOT taken the 2 years of chemistry and 1 year of physics that I understand are required for admission to dental school (is that required for all U.S. dental schools?).
Not wanting to pull any punches, this is my scenario. I feel like I have not reached my full potential career wise and know that I can do much better. I am wondering if I should go back and take these prerequisites and then apply to dental school.
Would someone my age have any chance of admission?? I certainly would not want to go back for 2 years of prerequisites if I have virtually no chance of acceptance.
I'm very interested in dentistry and have the funds to cover the education. I just need to find a way into dental school. I am wanting to practice in the U.S.
Please give me your honest opinion.
Thanks kindly!

Well, one definitely wouldn't want to help someone whose story keeps changing, let alone someone who is going to settle for a career as an NP because that someone doesn't want to do the course work required to fulfill one's "full potential." :rolleyes:

I'm surprised at you, Taurus. You almost sound like an apologist for a slacker.

.... I don't want to ruffle any feathers here... BUT I have heard the easiest way to be a NP is to go be a floor RN for several years... while working full time and attending a masters program on your own time...

just what I heard from a friend of an uncle's monkey..

I'm surprised at you, Taurus. You almost sound like an apologist for a slacker.

I don't blame the person if the school, or profession, allows them to essentially take a short-cut. For the sake of time and money, it's human nature to want to take the path of least resistance. Why would someone want to take the rigorous medical path when they can get the same scope in some states in as little as 2 years and is less demanding to complete? Heck, you can even boost your ego by convincing yourself that you're just as good as physicians by buying what Mundinger has to sell.

We should be condemning the profession and schools that allow this to happen. Not the people who are taking advantage of it.

I don't blame the person if the school, or profession, allows them to essentially take a short-cut. For the sake of time and money, it's human nature to want to take the path of least resistance. Why would someone want to take the rigorous medical path when they can get the same scope in some states in as little as 2 years and is less demanding to complete? Heck, you can even boost your ego by convincing yourself that you're just as good as physicians by buying what Mundinger has to sell.

We should be condemning the profession and schools that allow this to happen. Not the people who are taking advantage of it.

taurus,
i tire of your posts, since they ALWAYS contain mundinger or context thereof.
we ALL get it...
here, there, and everywhere.

perhaps being more novel might serve you better.

oh, and not everyone wants the medical path.

If you've been an RN for 13 years, I'm surprised you have to ask this question.

Unless you have an intelligent answer keep your smart comments to yourself. I'm not looking for answers from a "dime a dozen" RN like yourself!!

Unless you have an intelligent answer keep your smart comments to yourself. I'm not looking for answers from a "dime a dozen" RN like yourself!!
:thumbdown:
Bigned,
I've always thought the approach of presenting a problem with a possible solution was a good approach. Your posting to find the "easiest and quickest way to become an NP" was bound to receive flak from this community as it implies you haven't researched the information to find several alternatives or options, that you don't have any opinions from your '13 years of experience' and that you are finding the cheapest / easiest path of education just to follow the path or least resistance.

However, to not interact with the thread except to personally attacked fab4fan seems ridiculous. Sure, Fab4fan's profile pictures reminds me of the movie Zoolander and the model stare of 'cold steel'... but he has provided many people with useful information in a respectful manner.

I'm sure you will find the information you are looking for by spending some time doing your own research and finding yourself...

Your posting history implies you are still looking..
...everywhere.... for the path of least resistance.

:thumbdown:
Bigned,
I've always thought the approach of presenting a problem with a possible solution was a good approach. Your posting to find the "easiest and quickest way to become an NP" was bound to receive flak from this community as it implies you haven't researched the information to find several alternatives or options, that you don't have any opinions from your '13 years of experience' and that you are finding the cheapest / easiest path of education just to follow the path or least resistance.

However, to not interact with the thread except to personally attacked fab4fan seems ridiculous. Sure, Fab4fan's profile pictures reminds me of the movie Zoolander and the model stare of 'cold steel'... but he has provided many people with useful information in a respectful manner.

I'm sure you will find the information you are looking for by spending some time doing your own research and finding yourself...

Your posting history implies you are still looking..
...everywhere.... for the path of least resistance.

Golly, thanks for that, but I'm a goil! ;) ("Zoolander..." ROTFL! I'm really getting old. I would have never in a million years made that connection.)

Oh, BTW, "ouch." Not. I've been around way too long for a comment like that to begin to hurt. Thanks for playing, though. ;)

So I'm confused about that insult too...isn't bigned an RN? With an AS no less? Why would you insult someone by calling them a "dime a dozen" RN if that is what you are yourself? Or does wanting to find the path of least resistance to a different career somehow elevate one to the next level?

So I'm confused about that insult too...isn't bigned an RN? With an AS no less? Why would you insult someone by calling them a "dime a dozen" RN if that is what you are yourself? Or does wanting to find the path of least resistance to a different career somehow elevate one to the next level?

Well, I wasn't going to be the one to state the obvious, being a "dime a dozen RN," but apparently, like you said just thinking about going on to another degree level makes you better than everyone else.

Which means, Bigned, that I've been better than you longer than you. ;)

OK? Now let's stop the foolishness. If you got out of nursing school and have been working as long as you said you have, you should know what you need to do. Do it. No whining.

Captain Obvious strikes again...haha.

Oh the irony--there seem to be so many NP programs I suspect it will be the NPs who find themselves a "dime a dozen." In fact, at my previous jobs there were two NPs working as regular nurses. They hadn't found jobs yet.

But what do I know? I'm just a dime a dozen nurse too... ;)

Heya! I've been enjoying the hell out of my summer: visited my parents twice, celebrated ten years of marriage, and walked down to Lake Michigan almost every day. :)

How are you?

Oh the irony--there seem to be so many NP programs I suspect it will be the NPs who find themselves a "dime a dozen." In fact, at my previous jobs there were two NPs working as regular nurses. They hadn't found jobs yet.

But what do I know? I'm just a dime a dozen nurse too... ;)
Not to interrupt but regarding your tag line:
Farmer Jane
Anti-ANA RN
Are you against a specific titer, say 1:64 or against the whole test:D. Welcome back.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Heya! I've been enjoying the hell out of my summer: visited my parents twice, celebrated ten years of marriage, and walked down to Lake Michigan almost every day. :)

How are you?

I am, quite literally, "the walking wounded." I'll pm you the details. Sad story. Sniff, sniff. :(