I want to become a pain physician, how do I shadow one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringDoc342

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to become a pain physician, how do I shadow one? What would be the best approach for me to shadow one? I am not in medical school yet and would like to put this experience in my med school applications.

Is it easy to find a job working in a pain physician office? Where would I go about finding a job opening?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I want to become a pain physician, how do I shadow one? What would be the best approach for me to shadow one? I am not in medical school yet and would like to put this experience in my med school applications.
If there's a med school in town, that might be a good place to start. Otherwise, see if you can get "referred" by another doc.

After your experience, let us know how it went!

Consider asking your personal physician if he knows any local Pain MDs who'd be open to having a pre-med shadow. To do so for a couple days, as long as you're not disruptive or slowing the doc down, shouldn't be a big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
where are you located. there may be someone on the board near to you

Is it easy to find a job working in a pain physician office? Where would I go about finding a job opening?

Just search for pain doctors in your hospital/dept/med school online, and email them and ask if you can shadow. And if you want to gun for it, start doing some research with the pain docs (chart review, systematic review, case reports). It will be very valuable down the road when you are applying for pain fellowship....

I would email the contact person for the pain fellowship at your local UC and tell them you are interested in shadowing. Hopefully they would be able to work out something with you.

I have a private pain management clinic near me. Do you think they would allow me to shadow? Who is the decision maker for private pain clinics with 5+ pain docs? I am not sure how to best approach this. I tried going in in-person and they just told me to call someone else, but I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

I have a private pain management clinic near me. Do you think they would allow me to shadow? Who is the decision maker for private pain clinics with 5+ pain docs? I am not sure how to best approach this. I tried going in in-person and they just told me to call someone else, but I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Ask for the practice manager.