I want to do a fellowship in neurology but don't know where to start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adoggie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm really interested in doing a fellowship in neurology (before or after my residency, whichever), but don't know where to look for opportunities. Are there any requirements that need to be taken care of before applying for a fellowship? Like prior research experience or something? I'm not sure I'll be able to get prior research experience, so that could be a problem. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I'm really interested in doing a fellowship in neurology (before or after my residency, whichever), but don't know where to look for opportunities. Are there any requirements that need to be taken care of before applying for a fellowship? Like prior research experience or something? I'm not sure I'll be able to get prior research experience, so that could be a problem. Thanks guys.
Neurology is a residency you can do after medical school. It's not terribly competitive, so I wouldn't worry about how much research you have.

I guess we're a little confused - are you talking about an actual ACGME-accredited fellowship? That would be one you would apply for during your neurology residency. Or are you referring to something more unofficial?

Members don't see this ad :)

If you're worried about getting research experience, you'll get opportunities to get the research experience that matters most in medical school in your 1st, 2nd, and 4th years.

Pick up Iserson's Guide to getting a residency and read its recommendations.

I guess we're a little confused - are you talking about an actual ACGME-accredited fellowship? That would be one you would apply for during your neurology residency. Or are you referring to something more unofficial?

This confused me too, but, because the OP said that she wouldn't mind doing neuro BEFORE or after her residency, I don't think she's talking about a sub-specialty fellowship.

OP - Neurology isn't a fellowship, as other people said. It's one of the residencies that you apply for during your 4th year of med school, like psychiatry, family med, internal med, pediatrics, gen. surgery, pathology, emergency med etc. From one of those basic residencies, you can do a sub-specialty fellowship (like pulmonology, cardiology, oncology, pediatric neurology, etc.). By the end of your first year in med school, you'll have the system down pat. :)