I want to get an MPH between 2nd/3rd years of med school, worried about matching. Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lichen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Hope this reaches you all during a fun and fulfilling summer.

Background:

I am entering my 2nd year of medical school. Have always loved public health (working with communities, keeping environment clean, preventative care, etc.). I know I will at some point want to serve in this area, even just a little.

Question:

It almost seems like a dream to be able to get an MPH during medical school. However, I also want to match into whatever residency may be of interest to me when the time comes around to apply. Currently it is IM.

Do you think that I will have difficulty matching into ANY residency if I work towards an MPH during med school?

Would programs look at my application and say "this student should be applying to a public health related field"?

Please let me know what you think. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Me

Members don't see this ad.

Get through med school as quickly as possible. Pick up the MPH during (preventive medicine tracks in IM) or after residency. Many fellowships will even pay for it or a similar degree. MPHs obtained during med school are usually low quality.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Get through med school as quickly as possible. Pick up the MPH during (preventive medicine tracks in IM) or after residency. Many fellowships will even pay for it or a similar degree. MPHs obtained during med school are usually low quality.

Agree with above. Opportunity cost at this point is quite high with no guaranteed benefit.

Reactions: 1 user

I have been planning it out to take a gap year between 2nd and 3rd year. Would it still be considered low quality with such a large chunk of time devoted to the degree? What makes it low quality?

I simply want to have the experience and credentials to assist with the improvement of health for my community while also practicing in an IM specialty like oncology. The MD/MPH program at my university includes required projects within the community for real life experience.

I have been planning it out to take a gap year between 2nd and 3rd year. Would it still be considered low quality with such a large chunk of time devoted to the degree? What makes it low quality?

I simply want to have the experience and credentials to assist with the improvement of health for my community while also practicing in an IM specialty like oncology. The MD/MPH program at my university includes required projects within the community for real life experience.

Unless you're at a med school associated with a top public health program (Harvard, Hopkins, Columbia and a few others) then the degree will be low quality.

In general you don't seem to have a clear understanding of what you would do with the degree. It makes more sense to obtain it during fellowship when it will likely be fully paid for rather than extending your time in med school to get a degree you may never use.

Unless you're at a med school associated with a top public health program (Harvard, Hopkins, Columbia and a few others) then the degree will be low quality.

In general you don't seem to have a clear understanding of what you would do with the degree. It makes more sense to obtain it during fellowship when it will likely be fully paid for rather than extending your time in med school to get a degree you may never use.

How have you applied your MPH?

How have you applied your MPH?

Research. Being able to understand study design and biostats methods is huge and helps greatly with productivity since you're not beholden to anyone else for the most complicated and time consuming part of an (observational) research project. I also worked at a global health non-profit before med school (and during the summer break).

Research. Being able to understand study design and biostats methods is huge and helps greatly with productivity since you're not beholden to anyone else for the most complicated and time consuming part of an (observational) research project. I also worked at a global health non-profit before med school (and during the summer break).

That sounds wonderful. How was the global health non-profit experience? Would you say there is room for an MD/MPH that can work part-time and also practice medicine part-time? And also not just a non-profit like that but any organization for that matter?

I did a combined MD/MPH program at a school that is not on the "top" list above. Had no problem matching in a surgical field. While I do not do public health per se now, I do find the biostats and epi training useful for doing and critiquing research. It was nice when I was a resident - helped out with a number of projects since I was the only one with any understanding of biostats.

If you want to do an MPH, then do an MPH. If you don't, then don't.

That sounds wonderful. How was the global health non-profit experience? Would you say there is room for an MD/MPH that can work part-time and also practice medicine part-time? And also not just a non-profit like that but any organization for that matter?

It was a fantastic experience. Doing clinical work part time is very common for MDs working in public health.

Doing the MPH during a year off may give you a meaningful experience depending on where you're doing it. I'm just not sure it's the best time to do it from an opportunity cost standpoint with regards to your loans accruing interest, etc. For me i did a 2 year program before med school and worked a lot while spending next to nothing on living expenses to the point that I was able to pay for all of my living expenses during all 4 years of med school. That made it totally worth it from an opportunity cost standpoint for me.

Anyway if you want more details or have more specific questions feel free to pm me.