BOTH I want to get started early, but I have no idea how...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Amoeba

NYITCOM Class of 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming DO Student, and I've been told that I should begin studying for the Step 1 ASAP.

As a result, I'm trying figure out which resources I should get now so I can begin prepping, and which materials I should hold off on getting until maybe I begin my second year.

I ask this because a good chunk of studying materials seem to have a time-limit on how long you can access them, and I'd rather not waste money when I'm already going into debt (/sobs/). Additionally, some material seems to get updated every so often, so I'm worried that I may end up studying a review guide that becomes obsolete by the time I end up taking the exam.

So basically, I'm wondering which study materials are worth getting now (2.5 years before Step 1) and which I'd be better off getting 5-6 months before my exam.

Any advice? Many thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

First Aid is the main Step 1 resource. I would recommend reviewing topics in First Aid that were covered in daily lecture b/c this will familiarize you with First Aid book and key you in to high yield concepts that will likely show up on tests.

You shouldn't spend a lot of time on Step 1 studying this early so I would say its too early for Uworld questions and other subscriptions. And yes some facts will likely be outdated in two and a half years so you may find yourself buying an updated version of First Aid which runs like $50 but that's not awful in the long run.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, thanks so much for the advice!!!
I'll definitely start off by getting the First Aid book, then.
Should I wait until I finish my first year of med. school to get Pathoma, then?

I'd get pathoma right before you start your pathology class. It breaks down concepts really well and will help you out with the path exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perfect! Thank you so much!
I've been agonizing over what to get and what not to get for the entire day, and your advice has finally given me some closure lolol
Thanks again!!!

Disregard classes.

Open FA. Start pathoma.

Finish Sketchy micro and pharm as soon as possible.

Cram for school exams weekend before and profit.

You need to figure out if you can handle a medical school curriculum before you start worrying about step 1. If by Christmas of first year you feel comfortable with your performance - then start supplementing class with first aid and a q bank. I know it’s easy to brush off your coursework for step 1 materials, but I think you will shortchange yourself by not putting maximum effort into class (at least at the beginning). You are only in medical school once, after all. With a little bit of time management I believe you can have your cake and eat it too in regards to grades and step 1 studying.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, thanks for all the advice guys!

Based on what ya'll have said, I think what I'll do to ease myself in is start with just my anatomy book and my First Aid book, and some free question banks, and then maybe add another book in around May.

I'd start Pathoma now, but since it's a subscription service idk if it'd be useful now since I'll be so busy with anatomy, FA, and my part-time job (gotta save up some food money). So I'll probably start the 21-month subscription service in October/November after I've gotten used to the med. classes/labs/schedule/ect. and after I've gone through First Aid at least once.
Do ya'll think that's a good idea, or nah?

Wow, thanks for all the advice guys!

Based on what ya'll have said, I think what I'll do to ease myself in is start with just my anatomy book and my First Aid book, and some free question banks, and then maybe add another book in around May.

I'd start Pathoma now, but since it's a subscription service idk if it'd be useful now since I'll be so busy with anatomy, FA, and my part-time job (gotta save up some food money). So I'll probably start the 21-month subscription service in October/November after I've gotten used to the med. classes/labs/schedule/ect. and after I've gone through First Aid at least once.
Do ya'll think that's a good idea, or nah?

Dude. Just start bro.

You need to figure out if you can handle a medical school curriculum before you start worrying about step 1. If by Christmas of first year you feel comfortable with your performance - then start supplementing class with first aid and a q bank. I know it’s easy to brush off your coursework for step 1 materials, but I think you will shortchange yourself by not putting maximum effort into class (at least at the beginning). You are only in medical school once, after all. With a little bit of time management I believe you can have your cake and eat it too in regards to grades and step 1 studying.
This is the best advice here. First worry about doing well in your classes and also maintaining your life (exercise, chores, sleep) then once you get in the groove (2nd half of first year at earliest) then look to do more boards and less school time while still getting those grades as you did in the first half.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile