ashman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
Status
Helloo so I am writing back up again trying to get any confidence to get into this damn dental school. My cousins 4 total all went to USC that is my school of choice I wanted to know if with a gpa of sci 2.6 and overall 3.2 with DAT of 19/17 should I just apply or should I get a MPH from a school then apply, will an MPH help my chances at all Please help it would be cool to be an DDS,MPH and I am willing to do it does adcom though like this????

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Status
ashman said:
Helloo so I am writing back up again trying to get any confidence to get into this damn dental school. My cousins 4 total all went to USC that is my school of choice I wanted to know if with a gpa of sci 2.6 and overall 3.2 with DAT of 19/17 should I just apply or should I get a MPH from a school then apply, will an MPH help my chances at all Please help it would be cool to be an DDS,MPH and I am willing to do it does adcom though like this????
Your science gpa is low, and I would encourage you to raise. Another factor that might make you a more attractive candidate to USC is if you can gain some independent study experience. Their program, as you probably know, is PBL - which translates into a lot of self-directed, self-motivating study time. They need to know that you could function in such an environment, and as a recall, they have a space in their secondary for you to expound on your independent/self-directed study experiences. Best of luck!

J2AZ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status
Any additional degree would be a plus. However, getting an MPH is not going to be the saving grace you are looking for. When the adcom looks at your 2.6 sci they are going to think you will be unable to handle the science classes in dental school. Unless you have some serious connections (you may have w/ 4 relatives being graduates) you will not get in with a 2.6. An MPH is not an answer to your problem, it is an excuse to avoid taking additional upper division science classes. Take atleast 3 upper division science two semesters in a row and get A's. This will help you out more than an MPH.