I want to go to pharmacy school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prepharmacys

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i hope to get some responses from those of you that made it to the program. I am 29 & starting out my bio classes. Im worried though that maybe im being to unrealisitic. I realize im a late bloomer. What do you guys think at this point. My situation. 29, no children or husband. Living at home with parents while attending a community college then planned to transfer to school of acceptance. What do you think really? Whats the chance of entry to a program "of your choice"? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

prepharmacys said:
Hi, i hope to get some responses from those of you that made it to the program. I am 29 & starting out my bio classes. Im worried though that maybe im being to unrealisitic. I realize im a late bloomer. What do you guys think at this point. My situation. 29, no children or husband. Living at home with parents while attending a community college then planned to transfer to school of acceptance. What do you think really? Whats the chance of entry to a program "of your choice"? thanks
You're never too old to realize your potential !
There is another poster on this forum who has a kid and another one on the way - I believe she got 98 composite on her PCAT (how inspirational is that !) Don't just do it for the money although that helps. I don't know if you have a science background or not - that makes it a little easier - if not it may seem challenging at first taking classes you are not familar with but if you're dedicated enough and you have support (which it seems like you do, since your parents took you in) than anything is possible. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
prepharmacys said:
You are fine - I'm 10 years older than you, and I know there are at least a couple of people in my class that are older than me. Plus, having no kids or husband (I have both) is a big advantage because you will be able to apply to a wider variety of schools.

rxlynn said:
You are fine - I'm 10 years older than you, and I know there are at least a couple of people in my class that are older than me. Plus, having no kids or husband (I have both) is a big advantage because you will be able to apply to a wider variety of schools.
Thank you, your right. :thumbup:

prepharmacys said:
Thank you, your right. :thumbup:
Id just like to add to my post that I know any age is a good age to pursue what you want, you just have to keep your head up, stay positive and focus hard.

prepharmacys said:

You are still young! I am 38, no children, not married. I took all of my classes (except one) at a local community college. During that time, I became a pharmacy tech and got a part time job in a community pharmacy. Just keep up the good grades. And don't give up! I must admit, many times I felt like giving up. I thought my age would be a problem. But they accepted me! You can do it!

Many people I've spoken with say that people who pursue higher education (be it under- or graduate level) at an older age than usual are much better students. I'm 28, 5 years out of college, applying for a PharmD/MBA. I've gotten all A's in my pre-reqs (the ones I've taken since I decided to do the pharm thing), and a 99 composite on the PCAT. Once you've lived in the real world, on your own nickel for a while, you have more conviction and interest in studies. I'm really hoping to be able to sell that on interviews to explain why I'm doing so much better now than in undergrad ;)

Lunchbox said:
Many people I've spoken with say that people who pursue higher education (be it under- or graduate level) at an older age than usual are much better students. I'm 28, 5 years out of college, applying for a PharmD/MBA. I've gotten all A's in my pre-reqs (the ones I've taken since I decided to do the pharm thing), and a 99 composite on the PCAT. Once you've lived in the real world, on your own nickel for a while, you have more conviction and interest in studies. I'm really hoping to be able to sell that on interviews to explain why I'm doing so much better now than in undergrad ;)
Now that I'm about to actually start pharmacy school, I have found that I'm much more grateful for the opportunity to do school again, as opposed to when I was 18. When I was young, I went to college because that's what my parents wanted, all my friends were going, I didn't want to get a job, etc. This time, I feel like I made a much more deliberate choice, and I think that came across in my interviews. I'm sure that your situation will be compelling in an interview also. Good luck.

What is age anyway! If you want to be a pharmacist, do it. I am planning on starting pre-reqs this year. I already have my Bachelors degree from 7 years ago in Sociology, however I want more for my life so I'm taking the plunge. This means starting completely over. I am married, have 3 kids-7,4,2 and work full time. If I'm going to do this ANYONE can do this. It will take me 7 years(have to plan around costs of children-daycare) and starting slow.
-Oh, yes I'm 30!
-I'll be 37 when finished
-have another 30 years to work
-and will be HAPPY

Good luck

i am turning 24 and I thought I was old! It will take me while before I finish my prereq and bachelors degree because I am blind in one eye and can't strain the other too much. I know of many people who knew since HS what they wanted to become so they are way ahead of the game than I am so I felt really bad for awhile being in a class full of 18, 19 year olds who have excellent grades and resumes. I think Im just harder on myself than I am on others.

I think you are not too old! like the previous post mentioned, you are never too old to realize your potential!

prepharmacys said:

Hey kids!

After reading some of the posts I've concluded I can't call everyone in the place that, but I like the way it sounds...

I got in when I was 31... Already had a graduate degree... Quite a few in my class are "mature" students as well... A real mix with a few Doogie Howser's (18-year-olds) thrown in... It did seem like a huge thing to be undertaking at such an advanced age, but I've been loving it so far... The first year went by in a flash; the people in my class and those running the program are all so much friendlier and supportive than I'd ever encountered in basic science.

The first year community pharmacy rotation was so much fun that I didn't want it to end. I just loved the social aspect with all the human interaction. So many little things that you can do to improve the quality of life for so many people. And the physicians with whom I interacted were genuinely appreciative of my efforts.

I found it all very satisfying.

Anyway... That's my inspirational story...

"You're younger than you realize..." Ha ha... Another quote from the same song that I used for my sig... Neat! But appropriate in this case...

Follow your instincts and follow them hard...

Best of luck!

I spoke with a acedemic adviser who gave me wise advice. " Follow your goal and dont fear your classes, they are just classes and dont last long, your career however will last forever" and that every profession has tuff courses to tackle. I had to share such honest & good advice.