I want to help people.. help me guys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InternationaLNK

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm not here to be a "troll" or what not, but I have a serious inquiry and I don't really know what to "search" for, so I hope people won't bitterly and viciously attack me for not having used the "search" function first.

So this is the deal. As cliche as it may sound, I wanna help people. I've volunteered in the ER and I've tutored high school kids, including a lower-class kid from a really bad urban neighborhood whose father is in prison. I tried giving these people comfort, and guidance to my best abilities.

Now after having worked for a year, I've realized that working just to make money is really not my thing. Before, I used to be skeptical about my real intention in my career choice toward medicine, but now I am becoming increasingly assured that if medicine is a good path by which to help people through certain advanced and complex knowledge and skills that ordinary people cannot easily attain, it might be just what I'm looking for (in combination with all the other perks such as social status, respect, and money, of course, which I believe can only further empower one to help others more efficiently).

So my inquiry is this: I feel that my previous experiences in helping people is not enough. I'm not satisfied with what I've done. I want to do more, to further learn and enrich my soul. Can the good people of SDN help me out with this? Can you guys teach me about programs or places through which I can help people? I know there are a lot of categories of ways in which you can "help people", so feel free to list whichever ones you are aware of, including clinical of course. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I've never met a person who went to Peace Corp and did not have the most amazing years of their lives.

Your question is very vague though. What specific types of programs are you looking for? Medicine? In general? I think going to Teach for America in the ghettos of Detroit ranks pretty high up on my "Helping People" list.

Becoming a Certified Nurse or a Certified Nurse Assistant would allow you to help people in a clinical setting. If helping people is your main interest, a physician pathway is probably not the best choice as it digresses quite a bit of the diagnostic aspect of medicine. Try nursing for a bit and see if you like it. After all, physicians give diagnosis, nurses are the ones who actually spend time with the patients and help them on a daily basis.

Try rewording your questions so we can help give you better answers.

Well, what kind of 'helping' do you want to do? You can do filing all day and be helping someone, but I don't think that's the type of helping you want to do. You can work in customer service and be helping people.

You can go onto Volunteermatch.org (or maybe it's .com... can't remember), and they can give you a list of volunteer opportunities in your area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I'm not here to be a "troll" or what not, but I have a serious inquiry and I don't really know what to "search" for, so I hope people won't bitterly and viciously attack me for not having used the "search" function first.

So this is the deal. As cliche as it may sound, I wanna help people. I've volunteered in the ER and I've tutored high school kids, including a lower-class kid from a really bad urban neighborhood whose father is in prison. I tried giving these people comfort, and guidance to my best abilities.

Now after having worked for a year, I've realized that working just to make money is really not my thing. Before, I used to be skeptical about my real intention in my career choice toward medicine, but now I am becoming increasingly assured that if medicine is a good path by which to help people through certain advanced and complex knowledge and skills that ordinary people cannot easily attain, it might be just what I'm looking for (in combination with all the other perks such as social status, respect, and money, of course, which I believe can only further empower one to help others more efficiently).

So my inquiry is this: I feel that my previous experiences in helping people is not enough. I'm not satisfied with what I've done. I want to do more, to further learn and enrich my soul. Can the good people of SDN help me out with this? Can you guys teach me about programs or places through which I can help people? I know there are a lot of categories of ways in which you can "help people", so feel free to list whichever ones you are aware of, including clinical of course. Thanks guys!

First, everyone needs to work for money otherwise you would not have a place to live or food to eat.

I understand working in the machine and not being satisfied by it though. Yet, I do not exactly understand your question. Are you looking for more good ideas for volunteering in addition to working? Or are you looking for a more serious commitment? When are you planning on applying?

I don't know the whole story so it's hard to say.

But, here are a few more serious volunteering commitments:

-AmeriCorps
-Peace Corps
-Teach for America

These are jobs that are also considered as volunteering because they don't pay much. You do it 40 hours + per week.

PeaceCorps and Americorps can be health oriented as well.

When a friend tells me s/he is considering education, medicine, or just expresses a desires to help people I always mention rehab careers: speech-language pathology, physical therapy, and occupational therapy.

I think your question is too broad to get much good advice. Are you asking about what volunteering and other activities that you can do that would help you towards admission to medical school? This is something that many people on here can advise about. However, if you just want to find out about different careers or community service activities that involve helping people, the options are really varied. Perhaps an internet search and contacting local community service organizations may be helpfull as a start?

hey, you might consider volunteering at your local homeless shelter. there are people left homeless on the streets for so many different reasons, and if you really want to "enrich your soul", I'm sure you could learn alot from them. also, you wouldn't have an ulterior motive for doing so (i.e. killer-name EC).

Habitat for Humanity is great if you are good with your hands...go build a house for someone that needs a home. As far as helping a family, I think that's pretty good and it feels great to help out while being active outside. Do a search on the web and I'm sure you can find them around your area.

I think your question is too broad to get much good advice. Are you asking about what volunteering and other activities that you can do that would help you towards admission to medical school? This is something that many people on here can advise about. However, if you just want to find out about different careers or community service activities that involve helping people, the options are really varied. Perhaps an internet search and contacting local community service organizations may be helpfull as a start?

QFT. Listen to the fish.