Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I want to quit my job...

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by agirl, Dec 29, 2008.

1. agirl

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    deleted/

#1 agirl, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. niranjan162

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    y would u think being a dr would be less intense on nite call? residency is basically slavery. Unless u plan on going into derm, ur gonna have to nites anyway especially for right out of residency. I would expect it to be as difficult if not more difficult.

3. agirl

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    deleted.

#3 agirl, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  4. niranjan162

7+ Year Member

ADCOMs might not look kindly on ur reason for quitting nursing (not being able to handle nite shifts). You should try things to adjust ur circadian rhythm. If your leaving to go home in the morning wear really dark sunglasses while walking outside til u get to bed. try to expose ur self to bright lights during ur shift.

5. agirl

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    thank you for your suggestions.

#5 agirl, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  6. UNMorBUST

UNMorBUST Mystery Man
    5+ Year Member

I say cut down on night shifts to 2( you still need money). Or work during the day on the weekend. Get a less stressful unit. Nursing is a nice gig. Just think of it as a stepping stone to a larger goal.

7. niranjan162

7+ Year Member

My suggestions have nothing to do with sleep per se, but more to do with acclimating ur body to an unnatural rhythm. You u have no trouble falling asleep because ur tired from running around at work. But u probably feel crappy cuz the sleep u get isnt that great.

8. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you are not preparing for the MCAT, cancel that date. This is not a test to take if you are not thoroughly prepared for whatever reason. Get your study schedule under control, get the studying done and then set another date.

As another poster pointed out, you may need to adjust to working night shift. It's not the easiest thing to do and yes, night shifts (on call shifts) are very hard on physicians and very intense. It isn't just the night but the night and day combined along with having to do intense and detailed work. Being tired kind of come with the territory of the practice of medicine. In addition, you have to get through medical school which for many people involves some late nights and long hours.

If you totally dislike nursing, then it makes sense to leave this profession but you need to be sure that it's nursing that you don't like rather than working night shift. If you don't like nursing at night, you are not going to like nursing in the daytime either.

If you are having difficulty getting used to a night shift schedule, then give yourself some time, get some acclimation strategies and stick with your job and give the profession a chance. You were able to get through nursing school so there must have been something about nursing that you liked at some point.

9. Druggernaut

Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've worked mostly night shifts for about a year now. The nausea will pass eventually, and you'll work out some way of sleeping that works for you. Try to schedule all your night shifts for the week in a row so you can settle into some sort of rhythm that will allow you to function. On days off, if you don't want to hold that same daily routine on your off days, take a four hour nap when you get home so you'll have energy for the day, but can still sleep that night.

I'd imagine you'd be able to find a nursing position somewhere that's not on night shift. Where I am, the shortage is so great that hospitals routinely have to hire travelling nurses that get paid two or three times the typical nurse wages just to meet minimum staffing needs. I'd be wary of going to medical school just because you dislike nights. Patients are patients, and while you won't have to do all the same stuff you do as a nurse, there are certainly some similarities.

10. rnnpmaybe

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was in the same boat a few months ago - I absolutely hated my life as a nurse working nights. I was miserable at work and at home. Also, the nigh turn nurses where I worked were not very supportive, and I think that had alot to do with it. I think (this is just my opinion) that night turn is bad for new grads. It is hard to learn everything you need to and get used to managing your time effectively etc. on night turn. Don't give up on nursing just because you hate night turn. I switched to a daylight position and although I am working every weekend, I am MUCH happier. Most of the docs know I am a premed and so will take time to explain things to me. I feel like I am learning SO much from them. Nursing is rough, but most likely, you need some dough, and if you have a nursing degree, you should use it, especially in this economy.

Regarding physicians and night turn, I expect that it will be hard for me. (I do have some health issues that were negatively affected). However, I will take that as it comes, and I think I'll be happier knowing it is a means to an end. There are plenty of physicians who made it through overnight call but don't neccessarily love working night shift. Anyway, good luck!

11. rnnpmaybe

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you just started working in August, there is no way you can be adjusted to night turn yet. There are people who work night turn for years and love it.

12. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah staying up all night sucks.
    If you think things will be "less intense" as a MD intern working at night (and ALL DAY the day before) up to 24-30 hours or more straight, you have another think coming.

Do not take the MCAT if you aren't prepared. You may need to schedule a week or two of vacation prior to the MCAT, or quit your job a few weeks prior, if you plan to take it this spring. You don't want to be sleepy during the test as that would be a disaster.

There are strategies to adjust to working @ night and sleeping during the day.
    Hopefully you can adjust after a while. Try not to work too many shifts/week.
    How many are you working now.

13. agirl

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks to everyone.
    Thank you.

#13 agirl, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  14. Bellonium

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

How long have you been on midnights? It just takes a little while to get use to them and then you'll start to be ok. It's really tough though. You need to get in to your routine and you'll start to see some improvement. Try to work out, make sure you're eating enough.

I'm in law enforcement, been on midnights for the last 4 years. My first year was... rough. :thumbdown:

I wasn't eating properly, not working out, felt like I had to sleep all the time. It was terrible. Now, I sleep better during the day than I do at night. Not saying I'm completely normal. You're ALWAYS going to be tired when you work mids. But the nausea and nasty feeling will eventually go away. Just remember, routine, routine, routine. You have to stay real strict when on mids. I've found the best thing to do is not go to sleep right when you get home. That way you can go strong your whole shift. Then go home, eat a little food, slow down, take a shower, maybe watch a little TV and then go to bed.

Make your room a black hole with blackout curtains. Get a fan going. Buy a tempur-pedic bed. Whatever you have to do to make the sleep you do get quality sleep.

Good luck. :)

15. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    agirl
    I think you may have some wrong notions about being an intern and overnight call. Of course it depends on what specialty you do, and where you do your residency. However, I did internal medicine and we had overnight call every 3rd or 4th night (depending on the month) for 11 out of 12 months of the year and the call was 30 hours long and I can count on one hand the times that I got any sleep more than maybe 1 hour or so (total). There just wasn't time to sleep on call.

I don't think anyone can tell you how quitting your job would impact your application. I honestly doubt anyone would notice, particularly if you got a new job within a month or two. Personally I'd just cast about for another job (day job) before you up and quit. Can you get a cushier job just doing temp/float work and/or giving out flu shots at some clinic somewhere. Just something where you can get money but still have time to study...

16. agirl

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks to you all again. Your opinions are much appreciated.