I want to quit my practice in an at will state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elburrito

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work in an at will employment state. However my "employee agreement" indicates I must give a 3 month notice to quit.

I don't feel safe in my current practice, and worry if I continue some other incidents that jeopardize my career or mental health may occur.

Is that not enough grounds for me to quit in a shorter period than 3 months without being held responsible for breach of contract?

I'm told no one who quit with short notice was ever sued, historically speaking.

I'm certain that if I quit, it will not cause any disruption to the workflow.

What can I do to get my employer to let me go?

Members don't see this ad.

I work in an at will employment state. However my "employee agreement" indicates I must give a 3 month notice to quit.

I don't feel safe in my current practice, and worry if I continue some other incidents that jeopardize my career or mental health may occur.

Is that not enough grounds for me to quit in a shorter period than 3 months without being held responsible for breach of contract?

I'm told no one who quit with short notice was ever sued, historically speaking.

I'm certain that if I quit, it will not cause any disruption to the workflow.

What can I do to get my employer to let me go?

So you are asking how to get fired? If you don't feel safe you need to get a lawyer.

Employment contracts with such notice stipulations are essentially not enforceable in any U.S. state I am aware of.

The military is a different beast altogether obviously.

You have a FAR bigger psychological issue than the supposed unsafe work environment. Im very worried by your post to be honest, hence why Im typing this out.

You have 2 paths in front you:
1.) Change your work environment. If your supervisor/chief tells you do something do dont feel safe doing, tell them immediately and directly. Use the words "I do not feel safe doing this procedure and feel patient harm may result from your direction of me to do this." Explain further if needed (like X is not the community standard of care etc). BE THE CHANGE. Dont come on here and ask us how to slink away into the night and not get sued. You wont be sued, a judge would laugh it out of the court if some idiot lawyer was even willing to take it up (which I doubt).
2.) OR JUST BAIL. If you wanted to screw over your employee because they deserve it, get a disability doc to right you something like your mental state requires you to take a 6 month break etc. Then after 6 months of hitting the gym, netflix binges and tinder dates, just never show up and move on. Use the time to find a new job? etc.

Man up. That is what is want to see here.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Never do anything you're not comfortable with. As LADoc00 says above, be firm. Polite, but firm.

Sounds serious. I would get a lawyer.

You won't get sued there is no basis for this.

I does not matter what your contract says. At best is a suggestion, at worst , it is just away to intimidate you into what the employer wants.
If they are being that mean to you it is time to go.
Give them notice in a time frame the feel right to you even if that is today.
Chances are this group of folks has know history of being very ruff with employees.

You are being very cagey with information about your situation, referring vaguely to being "unsafe" etc. And two separate threads on the same topic within a few days of each other. And not acknowledging any of the advice that you have already been given. Its hard to advise you imo.

elburrito,
What exactly is the issue? If it can be posted without compromising your situation.

Maybe his or her group has one or more Harvey Weinstein/Kevin Spacey types. We need a ME2 thread.

Maybe his or her group has one or more Harvey Weinstein/Kevin Spacey types. We need a ME2 thread.

actually that is no joke. There was a group over a decade ago that was notorious for having the guy who ran it rape young new male pathologists as an initiation.

Being raped by an old douchebag cheapskate pathologist. Doesn't get much worse than that. Probably made them do all the autopsies too.

As if pathology didn't already have a bad enough reputation.

actually that is no joke. There was a group over a decade ago that was notorious for having the guy who ran it rape young new male pathologists as an initiation.

I wasn't joking. Our field is full of Matt Lauer/Kevin Spacey types but I don't think we are any worse than other specialties.

Here is a gem from a lawsuit "Adams vs Upper Chesapeak Medical Center".

"On December 21, 2005, Dr. Alberto Seiguer ("Seiguer"), the Medical Director of the Laboratory Services and Chairman of the Department of Pathology for both UCMC and Harford Memorial, subjected Adams to unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature while under the influence of alcohol. He complimented Adams on her physical appearance, suggested that they celebrate the winter solstice with an orgy, grabbed and hugged her tightly, and attempted to kiss her on the mouth.

He didn't kiss her though. Attempted ain't gonna cut it in court.

Only 20 days till the winter solstice. I bet that guy is getting excited.

I wasn't joking. Our field is full of Matt Lauer/Kevin Spacey types but I don't think we are any worse than other specialties.

Here is a gem from a lawsuit "Adams vs Upper Chesapeak Medical Center".

"On December 21, 2005, Dr. Alberto Seiguer ("Seiguer"), the Medical Director of the Laboratory Services and Chairman of the Department of Pathology for both UCMC and Harford Memorial, subjected Adams to unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature while under the influence of alcohol. He complimented Adams on her physical appearance, suggested that they celebrate the winter solstice with an orgy, grabbed and hugged her tightly, and attempted to kiss her on the mouth.
This much should be OK when you are drunk! She could easily avoid the kiss.

PSA: If you are sexually assaulted as a new pathologist my advice would be to call an attorney first rather than trying to run it up the chain of command at the hospital or practice. I have seen too many folks attacked then get convinced nothing actually happened by admin....sucks.