I want to re-join

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rejoin5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my story:

Prior service 6 years
Med school with HPSP
Did Internship in the Navy
Completed 4 yrs of GMO tour
Separated after 10 yrs of service as O4
I am now a 2nd year resident in a civilian FM residency program
Separating after 10 yrs of service was not a right decision, but it was due to personal issues
Since I don’t have that problem any more, I am planning to join again, serve additional 10yrs, and get out after 20. Off course I will do this only if they let me to start as O4 and count my previous 10 yrs of service towards my retirement.
When I read online, there are two options to sign-up:
1: as a resident—you will get $45K annually plus $2,200 monthly, or
2: after graduation—you will have a signing bonus ranging from $220K to $400K . Bonus varies with speciality. I don’t know how much is for FM
I just sent this question to a recruiter to confirm the above info and waiting the response. I am also grateful if you give me your feed back on this. I just want to know if this is a right move or not.

Thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

Don't limit yourself to the Navy. Talk to all three branches. Also, consider a GS job buying back your years and affiliating with the reserves (a better choice IMO).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also check on the accession bonuses to verify that you'd be eligible.

They used to have contract language that indicated it was only for folks who had not yet been commissioned. I think this was to prevent folks from going in, doing their time, leaving service for a year and coming back in for a $200K bonus.

Join the VA or DOD as a civilian. Buy back your 10 years of military service. Go where you want. Deal with less problems. Most will have sort of loan repayment options for physicians.

Check into USPHS. Navy ranks without the Navy.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app