I want to transfer DO to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManGoat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year DO student and I regret my decision to go DO. My problem is that I don't believe in the OMM. It also annoys the hell out of me how they worship A.T. Still here. I have a 31 mcat and a 3.9 post bach. I only applied DO because of the phylosophy of "looking at the patient as a whole" and I thought all the MD premeds at my school were jerks. Now I'd rather get the MD and not have any stigma follow me around. Is it virtually impossible to transfer at this point? Should I just tough it out and get a degree that I don't want? To be honest I am really miserable here and I want to drop out but I am in so much debt already.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your easiest path at this point is to bite the bullet, finish the DO, and try to do an allo residency.

I am a first year DO student and I regret my decision to go DO. My problem is that I don't believe in the OMM. It also annoys the hell out of me how they worship A.T. Still here. I have a 31 mcat and a 3.9 post bach. I only applied DO because of the phylosophy of "looking at the patient as a whole" and I thought all the MD premeds at my school were jerks. Now I'd rather get the MD and not have any stigma follow me around. Is it virtually impossible to transfer at this point? Should I just tough it out and get a degree that I don't want? To be honest I am really miserable here and I want to drop out but I am in so much debt already.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you're already crazy in debt, but I wonder how extremely difficult it is to transfer...would it not suffice just to know that you could do a dual residency?

So OldMan, who happens to have only 2 posts, you are basically saying that you are insecure and changing your degree will prevent people from making fun of you? I may be going out on a limb here, but what about doing excellent in medical school, getting good board scores, getting a good residency, and being a great doctor? If you aren't a troll, you might be a baby. :eek:

I am a first year DO student and I regret my decision to go DO. My problem is that I don't believe in the OMM...

Actually, your problem is that you're full of fecal matter. Go troll it up somewhere else.

Mmmmmmmmm...Flaming Troll

* I see banned people*

DOs don't have any stigma following them, and not all pre-allos are jerks. Stop acting like your username.

While I agree that the OP should just stay in school assuming he actually is in school, I think many tend to downplay the stigma that is associated with DO. I live in West Virginia, home of one of the best primary care osteopathic schools in the country, I went to a DO allergist for about 3 years, and I still had no idea that a DO was an actual physician until I was around 16. On top of that, my dad, who's been a practicing radonc in WV for 30 years is still a little bit discriminatory against the whole osteopathic system (but this might be because his memory is skewed towards the days of old when DO wasn't as mainstream with allopathic thinking). Obviously, there's nothing wrong with the osteopathic system or osteopathic physicians, but let's not pretend that a stigma doesn't exist.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know my experience is anecdotal.

Pretty sure the OP is joking here.

Are you sure it is the DO part that you hate and not the medical school part? You make it sound like you dont like medicine and think it is all osteopathys fault.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh there's stigma alright.

Yes, there is a definitely a stigma. And if you think there isnt one...you must live in a magical place where all doctors are DO. haha. However, you probably get more discrimination from your colleagues than patients.

Drexel (Phila) accepts transfer students from DO schools - second year, I think. Check their website.

I am a first year DO student and I regret my decision to go DO. My problem is that I don't believe in the OMM. It also annoys the hell out of me how they worship A.T. Still here. I have a 31 mcat and a 3.9 post bach. I only applied DO because of the phylosophy

Considering most postbac (postbaccalaureate) programs do not abbreviate it to "post bach", I am skeptical that you ever went to one, let alone aced one. Additionally, your spelling of phylosophy is troubling. I call shenanigans.
But if not, this is totally the wrong board, as you are no longer pre-med.

I know USF accepts transfers the after the 2nd year as well. However it is rare. They need to have an empty position in the class i.e. someone dropped out, etc. It can be done, but it is very difficult.

First, you're in the wrong boards for this type of advice. The pre-allo board is for people who haven't gotten into med school yet. The allo boards may be a better place to ask.

Second of all, it doesnt' sound like you're miserable about being DO so much the whole med school thing. DO and MD schools do not have curriculums that are so different that you'll find it 'better' at the allo schools just b/c you skip out on OMM.

As it is, you'll best bet is to wait until second year finishes, and kick ass on the Step I and transfer to an MD school. However, it is very hard to transfer to another med school and I'm not sure about the precedent about a DO to an MD transfer. I think that would be very rare.

DOs don't have any stigma following them, and not all pre-allos are jerks. Stop acting like your username.

While I agree that the OP should just stay in school assuming he actually is in school, I think many tend to downplay the stigma that is associated with DO. I live in West Virginia, home of one of the best primary care osteopathic schools in the country, I went to a DO allergist for about 3 years, and I still had no idea that a DO was an actual physician until I was around 16. On top of that, my dad, who's been a practicing radonc in WV for 30 years is still a little bit discriminatory against the whole osteopathic system (but this might be because his memory is skewed towards the days of old when DO wasn't as mainstream with allopathic thinking). Obviously, there's nothing wrong with the osteopathic system or osteopathic physicians, but let's not pretend that a stigma doesn't exist.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know my experience is anecdotal.

Oh there's stigma alright.

Yes, there is a definitely a stigma. And if you think there isnt one...you must live in a magical place where all doctors are DO. haha. However, you probably get more discrimination from your colleagues than patients.

I'd like to speak on the issue of DO discrimination. As a current DO med student, of course I've heard stories about it. However, I've never experienced blatant stigma. I may have seen subtle stigma, but I wonder if I sometimes read subtle stigma into situations where none exists.

I think the real stigma stemmed from back in the days when DOs were viewed by the AMA as cultish. This was as recently as the 1950s! This explains why some of the older MDs see DOs suspiciously. Regardless, I think overt stigma will continue to fade away as the DOs and MDs practice medicine more and more similarly. Any DO discrimination that remains will be either from a person's preference or elitism. I have no problem with either.

What's a DO? What's OMM? What's AT?

I don't think you can transfer directly from chiropractic school to med school, because you have to get an undergraduate degree first.

I really hope you are not that ignorant.

This is obviously trolling. If the OP wanted to know about transfering to MD school, he wouldn't post thread here but med students forum.