I want to transfer schools, but I can't because of my SAT, What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordan23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so even though I want to transfer schools, the higher undergrad institutions require people to submit their SAT scores, regardless of your grades in college. My SAT score wasn't all that high, so what are my options? Should I still apply to the school that I want, even though my SAT was low? I meet all other requirements such as GPA and hours are concerned. I feel stuck. What are my options? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm an undergraduate senior who applied for transfer sophomore year (to matriculate in the fall of Junior year). I was accepted at an Ivy with a less than optimal SAT score (greater than 1250 but less than 1350), but I had a great two year record at my home institution (GPA ~ 3.9). I ended up remaining at my home institution because in the end, I didn't want to make new friends and have to re-adjust to life at a new school, especially because in two years I would be applying for medical school. Anyways, if you're applying as a freshman to matriculate at the new school for sophomore year, of course your SAT score will weigh more heavily, so if you wait until sophomore year, the focus will be on your 2-year record at your home institution and less on your SAT. Good luck.

can i retake the SAT even while im in college?

Members don't see this ad :)
can i retake the SAT even while im in college?

I'm not sure about this. I would go hang out on the collegeconfidential forums (that's what I did when I was applying for transfer) to ask these questions. This is pre-med forum...

i would like to go to a higher institution. do state universities require SAT scores?

The quote below is from princetonreview.com. Sounds like you should retake. The most important aspect of your transfer application will be your college grades, but schools will probably want to see your SATs because they're going to have students applying from all sorts of "no-name" colleges and have little means to evaluate GPA.

"Although it will be secondary to your college transcript, if your SAT score is significantly lower than the average SAT for admitted students, you should take the SAT again. In other words, if you're applying to a highly selective school that has an average combined score of 1050 among its students, and you got a 900 when you took the SAT in high school, it can't hurt to improve your score. Since the verbal part of the SAT is largely a vocabulary test, chances are your score will easily improve with the year or two of college reading experience you've had. If your SAT is strong, but not exceptionally so, you're probably better off focusing on your classes. Retake your SAT only if you have ample time to do so, and your score is likely to go up more than 100 points."

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/apply/articles/types/transfer.asp

i looked on a state university site, and they didn't say ANYTHING about an SAT score. so i guess they don't require it right?

i looked on a state university site, and they didn't say ANYTHING about an SAT score. so i guess they don't require it right?

They probably don't require it then. The sites should have a list of transfer requirements, and that should mention SAT scores if they are required. You might also want to take a look at the actual transfer application, maybe there is a question that asks for SAT scores and/or request for a score report.

they also mention people transferring there from a community college, and people with 30 hours with GED's. so i guess SAT wouldn't matter a whole lot huh? What do you think?

they also mention people transferring there from a community college, and people with 30 hours with GED's. so i guess SAT wouldn't matter a whole lot huh? What do you think?

If you're coming from a 4-year college, you might have an inherent advantage over students coming from CCs or with GEDs. But it sounds like the school is just laying out it's minimum requirements, and that doesn't mean that is representative of it's applicant pool. Transferring can be competitive, given that there are sometimes very limited spots. If you have a solid GPA and the school doesn't require an SAT score, you should be fine (in fact, you'll probably be okay even if you have to give your bad SAT score...SATs are supposed to predict college performance, but in your case there's no need for prediction, you have proof of solid college performance).

You may want to call some of the schools that you're interested in transferring to. Someone in the admissions office will be able to talk to you about the role of SATs in the process and your chances for success.

Many times when you transfer with a AA from a community college, you don't even need a SAT score or your high school transcript.

It is all dependent on what school it is.