1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I want your honest opinion...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ocean11, Oct 4, 2002.

1. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

o.k just got my August MCAT scores...

MCAT: 7,10,10,Q ($hitty verbal I know..)

GPA: 3.50

I applied a week ago... all private schools... since I'm Canadian...

so there you have it... will my verbal f&uck me over?!?!?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Staff Member Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's possible, but unlikely.

3. OP
    OP
    ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

what's possible but unlikely?!?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    are DO schools canadian friendly? think about it

5. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think it would be difficult to enter a US medical school as a foreign grad with these numbers. But you'll never know unless you give it a shot. Good luck.

6. OP
    OP
    ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You can't practice medicine in canada with a DO degree.. so thats out of the question... I don't think my application is bad... it's just that verbal thats killing me... I didn't apply to any public or state schools... only private schools which admit Canadian students with average stats.... Finch for example...

7. Thewonderer

Thewonderer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Do you HAVE to practice in Canada in the future? I believe there is a canadian on this board attending DO school right now.

8. JPD

JPD Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm in a similar boat, being Canadian and writing the Aug MCAT.
    My scores were 10,9,10,N. The N has kept me out of some local schools. I've already applied through AMCAS. What does anyone think of my chances? My GPA is 3.70.

9. traveller4ever

7+ Year Member

apply to mcmaster and ottawa--they do not require mcats. unless u r only thinking about the states...

10. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Staff Member Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You getting into an American med school.

PS: I'm really not an dingus in real life. I just play one on SDN ;)

11. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

ocean11, I have to admit I don't know how your being Canadian affects your application, but a 27 is considered a competitive score (albeit about the lowest score that is considered really competitive). I would advise applying to lots of lower tier schools (20+ maybe even 25+) because that low verbal is going to hurt you. But if the rest of your application is really strong, especially your essays, then I think you have a chance.

JPD, your stats are fine. I got a 30M last year with only a 3.5 GPA and got 5 acceptances and lots of waitlists. If you're applying to lots of well-chosen schools, you should be fine (again, I don't know how being Canadian impacts things).

Both of you, remember, stats are not everything. The rest of your application counts just as much if not more. Good luck!! :)

12. OP
    OP
    ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanx SMW I applied to quite a few schools in the US and am having that verbal rescored:)

13. JPD

JPD Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks alot SMW
    I hope you're correct. Ottawa and McMaster are good schools,
    however there's tons of applicants for a few spots, same for Queens, Western and UofT.