I was accepted, but I still might wait until next year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lex1489

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to BU and waitlisted at UMDNJ on Dec 1st. I'm a NJ resident, and I'm having a hard time taking justifying the extra 160k in loans to go to BU. So I'm considering NOT putting a deposit in for BU, hoping I'll eventually get into UMDNJ, and if not then I will apply next year. Not sure what I'd do in the mean time.

I'll get some help from my dad paying for school regardless of where I go. I'm not really sure what "some" help is, but I'm still going to pay back -- it'll essentially be an interest-free loan.

Any advice to help me make this decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck explaining on your AADSAS why you applied last cycle, got in, and didn't go. That's going to be a red flag and you might as well buy a lotto ticket if you ever get accepted again.

Don't be stupid about this. Put your deposit down at BU and hope you get good news from UMDNJ. There's nothing to think about here.

P.S. Why even apply to BU in the first place if all of a sudden you "can't justify" going there...ridiculous. I'll never understand why people do that.

I was accepted to BU and waitlisted at UMDNJ on Dec 1st. I'm a NJ resident, and I'm having a hard time taking justifying the extra 160k in loans to go to BU. So I'm considering NOT putting a deposit in for BU, hoping I'll eventually get into UMDNJ, and if not then I will apply next year. Not sure what I'd do in the mean time.

I'll get some help from my dad paying for school regardless of where I go. I'm not really sure what "some" help is, but I'm still going to pay back -- it'll essentially be an interest-free loan.

I am contemplating on doing the same. I applied late. Was accepted to NYU, but because of the reputation (during my interview on my way home i met 2 3D's that basically told me if i get accepted anywhere else im better off going to another school, they said the school has a lot that is lacking and you dont realize it until you are a 2nd or 3rd year- was very discouraging) plus it being SO expensive, i am considering just reapplying next year. money being the bigger factor.

I am a NY state resident. I have good stats so if i wait a year, I am hoping that i would be able to get into a state school (stonybrook, buffalo or even other private schools nova, uf, temple, umdnj) are significantly cheaper then NYU.

Not sure if this is the right decision but ive been contemplating it

400K in debt vs holding of a year and paying almost HALF in that.

Even if i have an extra year of work with taking NYU's offer, id be making approximately 150k, after taxes 100k.

Plus interest on that 400K.

Seems like im better off waiting a year.

any advice folks?

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the last post, dont be ridiculous man....many people would love to be in your position. and if you dont accept the offer, well stats go up every year, who's to say you will be considered the same way...

When you postpone dental school for a year, you're missing out on a year of income in practice. Everyone gets that. What I don't think everyone realizes is that it's your last year of income that you lose, not the first. You're not missing out on a year of associate's salary, but rather a year of your peak earnings, which could easily be $200k+. Postponing a year will, best case scenario, be a wash but you're never going to come out ahead.

On top of that, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. There's absolutely no guarantee you'd be accepted again, and having declined an offer of admission in the past schools will hardly be fighting over you. You'll be lucky to get in ever again.

I'm surprised people are on the fence about this kind of thing, but I would implore you to not make the idiotic choice.

Put the deposit down and go to the expensive school even if it's the only one you get into. Fewer than half of all applicants are in your lucky position - to have the chance to enter dental school. There is NO guarantee you will get in to any school the next year. Plus what would you do during this "year off?" Probably working in a job that makes you miserable. In the end, you'll be a dentist at least one year earlier (and you only get older while you wait).

wow, i didn't realize d-schools look down upon those who reject an offer and decide to take a year off.

wow, i didn't realize d-schools look down upon those who reject an offer and decide to take a year off.

With a good explanation included in next year's personal statement, it may be overlooked. But there needs to be some good reasoning behind declining an offer of admission.

Think about it... It would show that your not serious about your applications, and potentially dentistry altogether. Like everyone else said... There is no guarantee you will ever be accepted again. Don't blow this opportunity because your being cheap. Pay the deposit, then hope for the best from UMDNJ.

Hey lex1489,

I'm an international student and i'm going to give u my perspective on this, in Africa we have a saying that goes.. u can only force a horse to the river, but only there your power ends as u cannot force it to drink from the river. It follows therefore that ur stats this year can only get you so far, the choice to attend is ultimately urs to make; but personally if I had to wait an extra year to rely on the same stats to get me farther than it did the previous year it would be a miserable wait knowing how admission is becoming more competitive each year, and if the stats aren't getting u in this year it might be a toss up again next year especially if applicant pool are much stronger.
Finally a bird in hand is worth more than two in the forest which is to say take the blessing that you have and run as far as you can with it.
My 2 cents, but good luck with ur decision

What I don't think everyone realizes is that it's your last year of income that you lose, not the first. You're not missing out on a year of associate's salary, but rather a year of your peak earnings, which could easily be $200k+.

True. I never thought of that ;).

you're making it seem like they look down if you take a year off. dental schools dont look down upon those who decide to take a year off...just look at the average age of D1 classes. the OP is not taking a year off, s/he is rejecting an offer to become a dentist.

like someone before said, that's a red flag. once you decline to go to dental school your integrity and motivations are questionable..i think it'd be hard to convince an interviewer that you would do anything to become a dentist since your past actions tell a different story

Hey lex1489,

I'm an international student and i'm going to give u my perspective on this, in Africa we have a saying that goes.. u can only force a horse to the river, but only there your power ends as u cannot force it to drink from the river. It follows therefore that ur stats this year can only get you so far, the choice to attend is ultimately urs to make; but personally if I had to wait an extra year to rely on the same stats to get me farther than it did the previous year it would be a miserable wait knowing how admission is becoming more competitive each year, and if the stats aren't getting u in this year it might be a toss up again next year especially if applicant pool are much stronger.
Finally a bird in hand is worth more than two in the forest which is to say take the blessing that you have and run as far as you can with it.
My 2 cents, but good luck with ur decision

:thumbup:
we also have this sayin' in 'merica.."dont count your chickens before they hatch"

Members don't see this ad :)

Really? You mean you are surprised they take a dim view of applicants who are lackadaisical about their career choice?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

When you postpone dental school for a year, you're missing out on a year of income in practice. Everyone gets that. What I don't think everyone realizes is that it's your last year of income that you lose, not the first. You're not missing out on a year of associate's salary, but rather a year of your peak earnings, which could easily be $200k+. Postponing a year will, best case scenario, be a wash but you're never going to come out ahead.

On top of that, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. There's absolutely no guarantee you'd be accepted again, and having declined an offer of admission in the past schools will hardly be fighting over you. You'll be lucky to get in ever again.

I'm surprised people are on the fence about this kind of thing, but I would implore you to not make the idiotic choice.

Never thought about it like that before so I give you cheers, but, in my last years, the last thing I hope to want is another 200k.

Thank you all for your input. I had already been leaning towards putting down the deposit and committing to BU in the event that I do not get accepted to UMDNJ, but I wanted to see if anyone had any strong oppositions to that idea. I see that is not the case.

Keep in mind, if I hadn't been waitlisted at UMDNJ, I would have quickly accepted the offer from BU. I do not think I am being lackadaisical about going to dental school. I understand I am in a better position than most, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't consider my options and weigh the choices that will affect my financial future for the next 20 years.

Put down the deposit and run with it. There are many people (like myself) who dream to have an acceptance in their hands. If UMDNJ accepts you later on, then take it. But I would definitely secure a spot at any dental school that has accepted you - no matter what. You just never know what can happen. Besides, what do you plan to do if you take the year off? You better have a good reason otherwise dental schools might perceive your gap year negatively (if you choose to reapply in order to save money for tuition). It's better to think FORWARD than BACKWARD when it comes to your career/education. Financially, no matter how expensive tuition is these days, you'll be well taken care of (if you're economically reasonable and conscious - which you seem to be). Good day and well wishes! Congrats on your acceptance.

Last edited:
Just to give you some additional motivation for putting your deposit down in BU. I hope you do realize that people w/ way better stats than you with more interviews then you got rejected from or wait listed from every school that they have applied to. So you have an opportunity here that more than 5000+ are not going to have this year. Put down the deposit, and dont let this opportunity pass by.

+ next year might back fire and the only school that you might be accepted is NYU then what you going to do? your dats will expire...

This is horrible idea. An acceptance to a USA dental school is priceless. Why did you apply to a school when you knew you wouldn't attend if you got accepted? Again. This is a bad idea.

AT LEAST give the deposit to BU, trust me, if you don't get in this cycle, your losing about 100k anyways, since that the average starting salary of a dentist.... so your REALLY saving yourself 60k.

And lets not forget how bad you'll look next year if you be honest and tell the schools that you had an acceptance but you decided to not attend... it'll make you look like your not fully committed to dentistry.

Again, what your thinking of doing is a HORRIBLE IDEA

I'm in a similar situation. I decided I only really wanted my state school after I applied to about 10 schools. People on here need to get a life. It won't be a problem explaining this on next years app. Just be honest and tell them you were interested but when it came down to it the school just didn't sound right to you. Give it another year if necessary and if you still don't get in then think about biting the leather belt and taking on a private school's tuition.

Wait a year...then another, then another, then another...

Dentalworks - priceless? Really? Do you have any idea how pathetic that sounds? It's a great accomplishment but certainly not priceless.

I'm in a similar situation. I decided I only really wanted my state school after I applied to about 10 schools. People on here need to get a life. It won't be a problem explaining this on next years app. Just be honest and tell them you were interested but when it came down to it the school just didn't sound right to you. Give it another year if necessary and if you still don't get in then think about biting the leather belt and taking on a private school's tuition.

all of a sudden, we need to "get a life" cause we are expressing our opinions? Talk about good logic

you're making it seem like they look down if you take a year off. dental schools dont look down upon those who decide to take a year off...just look at the average age of D1 classes. the OP is not taking a year off, s/he is rejecting an offer to become a dentist.

You people are CRAZY. The OP is not rejecteing an offer to become a dentist. Getting into a school does NOT mean you're being offered a dental degree. You have to get through the school and satisfy obligations, financial or otherwise. People act like he's rejecting 10 different schools only to apply the next year... he's rejecting ONE school because of the price.

Rejecting your only offer of admission and trying again next year is not going to make schools look down on you at all (unless its the school you rejected...then why would you apply there again). People have their own reasons for rejecting the offers. The OP OBVIOUSLY already stated that the price is their reason. Schools know its a huge financial burden and loans do not mean instant money. Some schools even ask on their secondary on how you plan to pay for the four years. The OP is also from NJ. Maybe he liked his state school's program better. Maybe he feels more comfortable there. Maybe the schools philosophy fits his plans better.

The INTERVIEWS are just not so the schools can guage you... they're also so you can guage the schools. That's why they give you opportunities to explore the school and ask questions. They may be a good fit for you, but you may not be for them. It's also true that you may be a good fit for them, but they may not be for you.

If you feel you're a great applicant and can get in where you want next year, then reject BU and go for it OP. If you feel getting into BU was a miracle and have a poor shot of getting in anywhere next year, then for sure go to BU.

To all the idiots who say rejecting to go to a school after getting in is immature or shows a lack of professionalism or whatever other crap, grow up. If anything it shows maturity and shows that you know what you're doing in life. I bet a school would appreciate a person who knows whats best for them and has the maturity to turn down a school because it didn't fit them than someone who goes to a school they never wanted to go to in the first place because they had no choice.

Dentalworks - priceless? Really? Do you have any idea how pathetic that sounds? It's a great accomplishment but certainly not priceless.

Yeh your right....if you have one acceptance and god-forbid, its from a school that you didn't feel "comfortable" with.... hell with it, reject it and wait next cycle or for another school.... good advice there buddy :thumbup:

there is a GOOD reason why most people who responded to the OP suggested the same thing.

You people are CRAZY. The OP is not rejecteing an offer to become a dentist. Getting into a school does NOT mean you're being offered a dental degree. You have to get through the school and satisfy obligations, financial or otherwise. People act like he's rejecting 10 different schools only to apply the next year... he's rejecting ONE school because of the price.

Rejecting your only offer of admission and trying again next year is not going to make schools look down on you at all (unless its the school you rejected...then why would you apply there again). People have their own reasons for rejecting the offers. The OP OBVIOUSLY already stated that the price is their reason. Schools know its a huge financial burden and loans do not mean instant money. Some schools even ask on their secondary on how you plan to pay for the four years. The OP is also from NJ. Maybe he liked his state school's program better. Maybe he feels more comfortable there. Maybe the schools philosophy fits his plans better.

The INTERVIEWS are just not so the schools can guage you... they're also so you can guage the schools. That's why they give you opportunities to explore the school and ask questions. They may be a good fit for you, but you may not be for them. It's also true that you may be a good fit for them, but they may not be for you.

If you feel you're a great applicant and can get in where you want next year, then reject BU and go for it OP. If you feel getting into BU was a miracle and have a poor shot of getting in anywhere next year, then for sure go to BU.

To all the idiots who say rejecting to go to a school after getting in is immature or shows a lack of professionalism or whatever other crap, grow up. If anything it shows maturity and shows that you know what you're doing in life. I bet a school would appreciate a person who knows whats best for them and has the maturity to turn down a school because it didn't fit them than someone who goes to a school they never wanted to go to in the first place because they had no choice.

Prove it.

You either want to go to dental school or not. Passion > Personal convenience. Why bite the hand that feeds you? If you wish to become a dentist, and are given that opportunity, take the opportunity. If you really have doubts, then you shouldn't have put yourself in this position in the first place.

Why apply/interview at a school that you don't want to go to? Beats me. That seat should go to someone that absolutely wants it. So, if you're not satisfied, reject it. However, there could be some repercussions as a result of declining an acceptance. Schools will then question your true desire. Yes, I'm not naive to believe cost is an issue, but if you love something so much...why should money ruin it? Just go for it and run to fulfill your dream. You've built up all this excitement over it, and there's that $$ you just can't push past the stars, it's still possible (when you've done the impossible IMHO by earning an acceptance). Why wait?? I really don't understand.

Do you really want to wait a year???!? Dental schools are dental schools, you basically learn the same thing. Your GPA is not that great and unless you have a 3.8+ GPA, and 22s or 23s on DATS, I wouldn't risk it.

Technically, since the OP only has only 1 acceptance, then he is rejecting an OPPORTUNITY to become a dentist.

And the 2nd part of this comment, about earning/passing through dental school is a moot point with respect to this thread. If you can't pass dental school, its NOT because of the school, its because you can't do whats necessary to pass.

Hmm... I guess dental schools are oblivious to how competitive and how stressful (both mentally and financially) the dental application is. An applicant spends all that time building up a GPA, studying for the DATs, spending god-knowns how much for ADDSAS and 2ndary fees, flying to interviews, spends most of the time between september till december first wondering "WHERE AM I GOING TO END UP"..... only to end the entire mission with a rejection to the only places that accepted him/her.

Yeh, thats shows some serious motivation for the field. Dude get real, between 2000-4000 people apply to each dental school, and only 200-400 get interviewed, the addmission people will want to interview/accept those who are most qualified AND show most desire.... Rejecting an offer for no strong reason shows lack of desire.

This is ONLY true if you have multiple acceptances. Besides, ever heard the saying "you can't judge a book by its cover"? You CAN'T tell how comfortable your going to be at a school's environment simply by spending 4-6 hours there at the interview.

Yeh, lets forget logic all together and go with our gut-feelings

LMAO.... its real mature (and ingenious) to reject the only offer you got from one of the most competitive educational systems in the world. Real good advice :thumbup:

Sounds like someones wait listed at BU lol

Yeh your right....if you have one acceptance and god-forbid, its from a school that you didn't feel "comfortable" with.... hell with it, reject it and wait next cycle or for another school.... good advice there buddy :thumbup:

there is a GOOD reason why most people who responded to the OP suggested the same thing.

Haha. Look, we share different opinions. I don't post too much on this forum but your priceless remark is kind of silly. Nearly Half (a rough estimate) of dental school applicants matriculate. Many more get interviews. And nearly all have a life that they wouldn't mind living for another year or two until they get into the school they want. You're just coming off pretty ridic with that statement and your 2k posts. How in the world do you find the time to do that in under 2 years? nice life buddy.

Haha. Look, we share different opinions. I don't post too much on this forum but your priceless remark is kind of silly. Nearly Half (a rough estimate) of dental school applicants matriculate. Many more get interviews. And nearly all have a life that they wouldn't mind living for another year or two until they get into the school they want. You're just coming off pretty ridic with that statement and your 2k posts. How in the world do you find the time to do that in under 2 years? nice life buddy.

I guess a 101-lesson in math will do you some good.
There are approx 4500 dental seats, with 12000-13000 people applying each year, thats about 1/3 people getting in. Not "Nearly Half". And why are you changing your stand? I didn't say anything about living a year or two before dental school...I said its absolutely "ridic" to reject the only offer from your list of schools..... Are you seriously going to debate this? there are people around who would give their left nut for an acceptance

I have 2k posts in less than 2 years, thats about 3.5 posts per day. I spent about 10-20 minutes per day between looking at posts and responding. Out of my "busy" 24 hours a day, I say I have a good 23.5 hours outside of SDN to have a "nice life".

I have experience here, so I am going to give my two cents here.

First of all, you were accepted to 1 dental school. Now, you might still get accepted to another one this year, but it is not a guarantee. Now, if you turn this one down and don't get another this year, you are knowingly turning down a chance to become a dentist. You would be turning it down assuming you will get an acceptance net year. That is not guaranteed. There are plenty of veery good applications each year that get turned down. So, you run the risk of not getting into dental school next year. If that happens, do not come here crying about you having made a bad decision. There are plenty of people on SDN who would love to be in your shoes right now who will not get in this year, next year and some who wil never get in. They will not want to hear about it. They will have no sympathy. Then there will people like me who will advise against making the decision to decline the acceptance who will not want to hear you cry after you went against our recommendations.

Next, there are people here who are telling you the schools will hold it agains you. Is this true? No one here honestly knows for sure, but I am sure some schools would question your motivation on becoming a dentist. I know would.

I can tell you tell you for certainty that you will not completely screw yourself by making the decision. You do decrease your chances, but you won't ruin them especially if you can sell your reasoning to them. This is where my experiences come into this. I was in dental school from 1996-1997. I withdrew from dental school during my second year. Without going into the overall reason, just know dental school was not for me at that time. I not only figured I had ruined my chances of getting into dental school ever again. I figure I had ruined my chances of getting into medical school which was my original passion which I chose not to pursue because I wanted a career better suited for family life like dentistry. A few years later, I had a change of heart. Some of my friends in the Navy are dentists. I ended up starting to enjoy my experiences around the dental profession. I decided to give it another try. To make this short, I retook the DAT and re-applied to dental schools. I was accepted to all schools I applied to. Only a couple schools questioned my previous decision. Now, in my defense, I had gone through a decade of life experiences when I re-applied including deployments during the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, so I know they took that into consideration. But, in the end previously, I had withdraw from school and seemingly turned my back on the dental profession. With a legit explanation and showing he adcoms I was now motivated, they took a chance in me. Now, I absolutely love my profession and cannot wait to get out of d-school so I don't have to have someone constantly check my dental work.

Now, would I ever recommend this to anyone? NO!!!!! Would I ever advise anyone to turn down one school without having a backup option? HELL NO!!! Every acceptance blessing. You are beingoffererda chance to join a wonderful profession. Dstu2011 made a comment that just because you get in doesn't mean you are just given a dental degree. Although this is technically true, most schools are going to do everything they can to get you through. They don't want to see you fail if you are putting in an effort. If you are jerking around, they won't help a lot. But if you show you want to be a dentist, then you can be pretty sure you will get through it.

Now, if you do turn it down, you are not guaranteed to getinnext year. Youmaynot get in for a couple years. No matter what, as someone stated, you are essentially turning down a huge amount of money which would essentiallyhave paid for the extra costs you would have incurred from the school should yu have not turned them down. Plus, you run the risk of having multiple years of missed dental income which most people here would call insane.

The choice stands with you. You have to make the decision that you feel is best for you. But, do not blame your decisiononanyone but yourself should it bite you in the butt later. You are turning down a great opportunity that many would love to be in your shoes. Do not make is decision lightly. You don't knowifyou will get a second chance.

I guess a 101-lesson in math will do you some good.
There are approx 4500 dental seats, with 12000-13000 people applying each year, thats about 1/3 people getting in. Not "Nearly Half". And why are you changing your stand? I didn't say anything about living a year or two before dental school...I said its absolutely "ridic" to reject the only offer from your list of schools..... Are you seriously going to debate this? there are people around who would give their left nut for an acceptance

I have 2k posts in less than 2 years, thats about 3.5 posts per day. I spent about 10-20 minutes per day between looking at posts and responding. Out of my "busy" 24 hours a day, I say I have a good 23.5 hours outside of SDN to have a "nice life".

:thumbup:

Rejecting your only offer of admission and trying again next year is not going to make schools look down on you at all (unless its the school you rejected...then why would you apply there again). People have their own reasons for rejecting the offers. The OP OBVIOUSLY already stated that the price is their reason. Schools know its a huge financial burden and loans do not mean instant money. Some schools even ask on their secondary on how you plan to pay for the four years.examples please for us students The OP is also from NJ. Maybe he liked his state school's program better. Maybe he feels more comfortable there. Maybe the schools philosophy fits his plans better.

YOU ARE JUST A F'N INVESTMENT. THEY WANT TO GET IT RIGHT... THEY DONT WANT TO LOSE MONEY... THEY DONT GIVE A S't about you. AS LONG AS YOU FIT THEIR PROFILE AS a student who is capable of successfully completing their program just so they dont lose ~300+K (for ex. if 10 people drop out that's 3million dollars right there) they dont want risky bet

Why apply to that school w/o doing research? why not withdraw after the interview? Dont you think that shows a lack of "maturity & professionalism"

Do you even know what you are talking about?

yeah...

Next time op should apply to 10 schools like this guy did. And in the 9 sup. applications op should write i am just applying for the heck of it i dont want to attend your school. I am only interested in attending my state school b/c its cheap and closer to my home. But i just like to waste my time and yours, i also love give my money away. After all I am a philanthropist... :rolleyes:

I know the tuition at BU is scary, it's pretty ridiculous how expensive dental school is and it scares me every day to think about it. You are lucky to have some financial help from your dad. Honestly, though I think it wouldn't be as detrimental as other posters said to reapply next year, I do think it would be a good idea to at least put down a deposit for BU. Give yourself more time to decide in case you don't get into the other school.

If you decide not to matriculate this cycle, maybe continue to work on strengthening your application this year. Volunteer, work, do something cool. If you haven't already, take a couple more upper level sciences and get A's in them. You application might weaken if you don't.

lol this is getting out of hand.. and amusing to tell you the truth.

I agree with DentalWorks on this one.. an acceptance into a U.S dental school is something some of pre-dents will kill for; Since its his only acceptance, I think he should attend BU and not gamble with next years cycle.. CAUSE ILL BE your competition at UMDNJ..haha.. oh and im bringing the HEAT! lol.. but all jokes aside dude.. take the offer, I promise you wont regret it.

PEACE