General I was accused of cheating online, but wasn't. What can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This week I was accused of cheating on two online exams in two separate classes.

Both professors are claiming the lockdown browser recordings show "evidence" of me cheating. When I asked them what the evidence was and why I was being accused they stated that it is in the video and has been sent to the honor council for review. I did not have any extra papers, cell phone, iPads, etc. There was also a baby monitor in front of me because I have a baby at home and no one else was there to watch. We were allowed scratch paper and I used it heavily to the side of my desk but that is it.

I'm assuming my writing/reading what I wrote caused me to be out of frame for too long or I was looking down for too long. Is this enough to convict me of cheating? I am facing failed courses and expulsion.
It's very possible. I trust that you'll be allowed to view the videos.

Expulsion is the death penalty but most people convicted of cheating typically have a repeat a year.

I'm surprised they allowed you scratch paper. Use of it sets one for the cheating charge. They're going to have to come up with something better than "you're looking down too much" because you can counter that with "I was using my scratch paper".

Turn the baby monitor off in the next exam

Members don't see this ad.

This is obviously a relatively new world. Usually all students need to be clearly told what constitutes plagiarism and what constitutes cheating, especially during an exam, especially for online delivery. What examples were explicitly mentioned as being suspicious of cheating? It's not really fair to just try to surprise you without some informal exchange, such as your baby monitor. This is a time where there should be a little more flexibility, but not everyone who administers an exam at home is able to anticipate all of those contingencies.
I'm hoping this will be the case. My home was never meant to be the perfect testing environment. I understand them questioning my mannerisms but a full out charge of cheating seems harsh. The only one in the room that can vouch for what did or did not happen is me and I'm the one on trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.