I was chosen as an alternate. Is this bad or good? Lol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joleybear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For Creighton. It's my first choice school. I have no experience whatsoever. So I will be starting as a technician on weekends and also plan on getting CPR certified. I have kids and two have disabilities so I can't do too much at once but I'm wondering what else may help my chances? I noticed everyone else at the interview had more experience than me (more than none isn't difficult lol) I have an interview for LECOM somewhere between March-May ish I am not sure the date because I need to reschedule later today but it will be in there somewhere. Is alternate basically a rejection or are some people flat out rejected? I really can only do a distance program because of my kids and their needs. Any advice is appreciated except for "don't go for Pharmacy". Not interested in that negative. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @Joleybear! There are several options that may increase your chances of getting into pharmacy school. Working as a technician and getting CPR certified already gives you a nice head start. You can also shadow professionals who are in the medical field. It doesn't have to be a pharmacist! You can also use your experiences to give you an edge during the interview process. Finally, I recommend practicing for the interview by answering potential questions impromptu. For example, how would you respond if someone asked for your top 3 weaknesses?

I'm not sure what you mean by an alternate being a rejection. If you are referring to an alternative date for the interview, then that should be okay if you get this sorted out with the school.

Hope it helps!

I am not sure what you mean by alternate. Since it sounds like you attended the interview, are you referring to being waitlisted?

If that's the case, your information on file is finalized and ranked by admissions committee. Nothing else you can do at this point other than wait to see how you were ranked. For example, if Creighton School of Pharmacy accepted a full class of students by Beginning of March, some students will turn down Creighton for other programs. In cases like that, the first series of students ranked as Level 1 on the committee list will be the first to back-fill the available seats for the program (ie waitlisted students). This cycle will continue all the way until day of school for some programs. You will not be told how you were ranked other than you are waitlisted. Some programs are courteous to email you when everything is finalized so keep in touch over the spring / summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
For Creighton. It's my first choice school. I have no experience whatsoever. So I will be starting as a technician on weekends and also plan on getting CPR certified. I have kids and two have disabilities so I can't do too much at once but I'm wondering what else may help my chances? I noticed everyone else at the interview had more experience than me (more than none isn't difficult lol) I have an interview for LECOM somewhere between March-May ish I am not sure the date because I need to reschedule later today but it will be in there somewhere. Is alternate basically a rejection or are some people flat out rejected? I really can only do a distance program because of my kids and their needs. Any advice is appreciated except for "don't go for Pharmacy". Not interested in that negative. Thanks!

Well what do you want experienced pharmacists to tell you? you have no experience, you admit that. ok? so allow us to enlighten YOU. Were not trying to scare you, were not trying to be negative without good reason. We want to help you avoid a nasty pitfall. I don't believe pre-pharms really understand the gravity of the situation. How life altering it will be to end up in soooo much debt and have little opportunity to pay it off honestly. No matter how passionate you are about something, it does not put food on the table or pay bills. So, when i say back out and find another line of work, it's for a good reason and with much experience i can say that.

Reactions: 1 user
Be aware that online pharmacy programs (at least the credible ones), will mandate you to come complete some experiences in person. You will also have to complete various internships in person throughout your pharmacy education, and will have to go through a year of internships (they call them rotations) during your final year of pharmacy school.

Have you considered these factors in your plan? You've cited being restricted in choices because of your children, are you aware that there are these challenges to overcome?

Bad - you might get into pharmacy school
Good - you might not and will be forced to pick a different non-dying profession

Its good. Try PA school

I know I sound like a broken record, but Chicago has SIX pharmacy schools. There are NO pharmacists jobs in Chicago. Your wanting to go to Creighton solely because you can't move from Chicago is a bad idea, you will have to move from Chicago to get your first pharmacist job (and then possibly be able to move back to Chicago several years later once you have experience.) This is reality, and it is crazy to take on tens of thousands of dollars in debt if you aren't actually willing to move to work as a pharmacist.

Your being waitlisted is a bad sign. All the prereqs needed to getting into a pharmacy program these days are that you need to have a pulse and eligibility to take out $200k in loans, so since you’re waitlisted it means that they either:
1) Don’t think you have a pulse, or
2) Don’t think you’ll be approved to take out $200k to fill the school’s coffers.

I know I sound like a broken record, but Chicago has SIX pharmacy schools. There are NO pharmacists jobs in Chicago. Your wanting to go to Creighton solely because you can't move from Chicago is a bad idea, you will have to move from Chicago to get your first pharmacist job (and then possibly be able to move back to Chicago several years later once you have experience.) This is reality, and it is crazy to take on tens of thousands of dollars in debt if you aren't actually willing to move to work as a pharmacist.

Something important to add:

OP, along with this^ Creightons Distance Pathway Program requires for you to still fly into Nebraska for the in-person lab portion during the summer every year of schooling. Also, you’ll need to hunt for rotation sites that may not be approved by Creighton near your area in Illinois.

Just things to prepare for.

If you are placed on the alternate list that does not mean you got rejected. Email the school and ask about your status. Show them that you really want to go to their school and that you have a passion for pharmacy. Good Luck!!!

Something important to add:

OP, along with this^ Creightons Distance Pathway Program requires for you to still fly into Nebraska for the in-person lab portion during the summer every year of schooling. Also, you’ll need to hunt for rotation sites that may not be approved by Creighton near your area in Illinois.

Just things to prepare for.
And they expect you to fly in for Orientation / Welcome week (Sun. Aug 11 - Fri. Aug 16, 2019)

Be aware that online pharmacy programs (at least the credible ones), will mandate you to come complete some experiences in person. You will also have to complete various internships in person throughout your pharmacy education, and will have to go through a year of internships (they call them rotations) during your final year of pharmacy school.

Have you considered these factors in your plan? You've cited being restricted in choices because of your children, are you aware that there are these challenges to overcome?
I'm quite aware. That's kind of obvious though lol I was in school more than full time and working from home. I had less time. Now I have a job as a tech. So I'd have some experience before starting if I start this fall or next.

It isn't that far away.. Many of us are already booking rooms / airbnb / homes, etc so that we have places to stay :)