I was curious...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunlyght

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
with airline flights and airports going into chaos around the world, what are you guys doing about interviews across the nation?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately air travel as we knew it last Monday the 10th is gone and dead. I would like to think by Thanksgiving the airlines will be moving on the up and up again. But this is a long way away and with rolling admissions this is one more thing to stand in the way of some applicants.

I wonder what the admissions committees are thinking when they want to interview someone out of state? Would they look this person over in favor of someone within driving distance because they know it would be hard for the one person to get a flight? We will find the answers to these questions shortly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt that's going to be the case. I'm in calif and I've very recently been invited to interview at penn state. I am going to fly out there in less than two weeks (if all goes well).

I'm just going to continue like normal.

I'm prepared to die fighting terrorists on my plane if it comes to that.

I just pray my flights arent canceled. Luckily so far I'm in good shape for my trip to St. Louis on Monday.

How did you guys structure the curriculum to have time for interview? Two of my classes are lab courses and it is simply impossible to miss any of the class. I am wondering what the hell I am gonna do. By the way, does regional interview for Vanderbilt look bad? Don't think Adcoms gonna like if I ask for regional interview but how much?

when you cancel are you just losing the interview? or are you rescheduling, if so how are the adcom committies looking at that?

Try to go to the school if at all possible. As for the lab thing. I luckily only have one this semester. However if I miss it for whatever reason, I just take it a different day. For example, my lab is on Thursday. I can take it Tuesday Wednesday or Friday. If you can't take another lab section talk to your prof and if you don't like what they say talk to the Dean.

I decided, after much deliberation, to do a regional interview for Vanderbilt. The interview coordinator said it would not reflect poorly on me, and I would prefer to limit my air travel right now. I can't imagine that they would offer it as a possibility if they were going to handicap everyone who took them up on it.

The lab courses I am taking are Histology and Nervous Systems Lab and they are only once in a week. No way to reschedule. Furthermore, you need to participate in the class in order to learn. What you learn in the class is crucial in these classes. Finally, I might miss a class, but if the interviews are gonna come in in tons, which I hope it will, what should I tell the professor. Such a dilemma.