little_late_MD

Ready To Jump
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2005
South Florida
Status
Pre-Medical
Yup, my company brought everyone in my position (about 10 of us) up to the executive conference room, and the COO told us all that after Dec 9th are positions no longer exist. Then he explained our severence packages, encouraged us to apply for jobs in other departments, and let the HR guy explain all the legalese. I could kind of tell this was coming, but man, I've never had anything like this happen. This is why I'm trying to get out of the corporate world. :(

Well, if anyone knows any companies that need an operations manager in the South Florida area, I'm looking for a job.

humuhumu

nukunuku apua'a
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2005
twitter.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
That sucks. Are you applying to med school during this cycle? You can't beat medicine for job security.

SanDiegoSOD

Milk was a bad choice
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Sunny California
Status
I was "downsized" in April when the lab I worked for ran out of grant funding. I feel your pain, it's definitely not fun... (but at least you got a severance package :))

About the Ads

medhacker

We can end world poverty!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
It's all 'bout God's strategy
Status
little_late_MD said:
Yup, my company brought everyone in my position (about 10 of us) up to the executive conference room, and the COO told us all that after Dec 9th are positions no longer exist. Then he explained our severence packages, encouraged us to apply for jobs in other departments, and let the HR guy explain all the legalese. I could kind of tell this was coming, but man, I've never had anything like this happen. This is why I'm trying to get out of the corporate world. :(

Well, if anyone knows any companies that need an operations manager in the South Florida area, I'm looking for a job.

Bro this is like so typical of So. Florida's job security, I hope you find what you are looking for.

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
i wish my company would downsize me...i would have absolutely no problem collecting severance pay and unemployment for 6 months til med school starts :D

dragonmate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2005
Status
I'm sorry bout that. This is never easy, but I'm sure you're well on your way to a better job. ;)

Indryd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2005
Gilead
Status
Medical Student
jbrice1639 said:
i wish my company would downsize me...i would have absolutely no problem collecting severance pay and unemployment for 6 months til med school starts :D
Hell yeah!

little_late_MD

Ready To Jump
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2005
South Florida
Status
Pre-Medical
humuhumu said:
That sucks. Are you applying to med school during this cycle? You can't beat medicine for job security.
Actually I'm working on my pre-reqs right now, so I still have about 2 years left of slaving for the bean-counters-in-chief. I'm not really as upset about losing my job, as the way in which it was carried out. I understand a company's drive to remain lean and profitable, but for them to lay us off, and then tell us to apply for other jobs within the company was kind of insulting. I mean, they know what we're capable of, how about placing us where we can make an impact.

The worst part of the whole deal: the COO comes in, and the first thing he says is "I've been in your shoes in this situation twice before in my own life." Grrrrrr.......I'm a professional, I don't need to be patronized while I'm losing my job.

dbhvt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2005
Status
Medical Student
little_late_MD said:
Actually I'm working on my pre-reqs right now, so I still have about 2 years left of slaving for the bean-counters-in-chief. I'm not really as upset about losing my job, as the way in which it was carried out. I understand a company's drive to remain lean and profitable, but for them to lay us off, and then tell us to apply for other jobs within the company was kind of insulting. I mean, they know what we're capable of, how about placing us where we can make an impact.

The worst part of the whole deal: the COO comes in, and the first thing he says is "I've been in your shoes in this situation twice before in my own life." Grrrrrr.......I'm a professional, I don't need to be patronized while I'm losing my job.

Sorry to hear that, lil' late. I wish you luck finding something to carry you through the next two years.

About the Ads