I was just downsized!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

little_late_MD

Ready To Jump
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yup, my company brought everyone in my position (about 10 of us) up to the executive conference room, and the COO told us all that after Dec 9th are positions no longer exist. Then he explained our severence packages, encouraged us to apply for jobs in other departments, and let the HR guy explain all the legalese. I could kind of tell this was coming, but man, I've never had anything like this happen. This is why I'm trying to get out of the corporate world. :(

Well, if anyone knows any companies that need an operations manager in the South Florida area, I'm looking for a job.

Members don't see this ad.

That sucks. Are you applying to med school during this cycle? You can't beat medicine for job security.

I was "downsized" in April when the lab I worked for ran out of grant funding. I feel your pain, it's definitely not fun... (but at least you got a severance package :))

Members don't see this ad :)
little_late_MD said:
Yup, my company brought everyone in my position (about 10 of us) up to the executive conference room, and the COO told us all that after Dec 9th are positions no longer exist. Then he explained our severence packages, encouraged us to apply for jobs in other departments, and let the HR guy explain all the legalese. I could kind of tell this was coming, but man, I've never had anything like this happen. This is why I'm trying to get out of the corporate world. :(

Well, if anyone knows any companies that need an operations manager in the South Florida area, I'm looking for a job.

Bro this is like so typical of So. Florida's job security, I hope you find what you are looking for.

i wish my company would downsize me...i would have absolutely no problem collecting severance pay and unemployment for 6 months til med school starts :D

Yeah!! I would kill to be on severance and then collect unemployment until med school starts.

jbrice1639 said:
i wish my company would downsize me...i would have absolutely no problem collecting severance pay and unemployment for 6 months til med school starts :D

And this is why I'm coasting in my cube. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm sorry bout that. This is never easy, but I'm sure you're well on your way to a better job. ;)

jbrice1639 said:
Hell yeah!

humuhumu said:
That sucks. Are you applying to med school during this cycle? You can't beat medicine for job security.

Actually I'm working on my pre-reqs right now, so I still have about 2 years left of slaving for the bean-counters-in-chief. I'm not really as upset about losing my job, as the way in which it was carried out. I understand a company's drive to remain lean and profitable, but for them to lay us off, and then tell us to apply for other jobs within the company was kind of insulting. I mean, they know what we're capable of, how about placing us where we can make an impact.

The worst part of the whole deal: the COO comes in, and the first thing he says is "I've been in your shoes in this situation twice before in my own life." Grrrrrr.......I'm a professional, I don't need to be patronized while I'm losing my job.

little_late_MD said:
Actually I'm working on my pre-reqs right now, so I still have about 2 years left of slaving for the bean-counters-in-chief. I'm not really as upset about losing my job, as the way in which it was carried out. I understand a company's drive to remain lean and profitable, but for them to lay us off, and then tell us to apply for other jobs within the company was kind of insulting. I mean, they know what we're capable of, how about placing us where we can make an impact.

The worst part of the whole deal: the COO comes in, and the first thing he says is "I've been in your shoes in this situation twice before in my own life." Grrrrrr.......I'm a professional, I don't need to be patronized while I'm losing my job.

Sorry to hear that, lil' late. I wish you luck finding something to carry you through the next two years.