Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I was just downsized!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by little_late_MD, Dec 1, 2005.

1. little_late_MD

little_late_MD Ready To Jump
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yup, my company brought everyone in my position (about 10 of us) up to the executive conference room, and the COO told us all that after Dec 9th are positions no longer exist. Then he explained our severence packages, encouraged us to apply for jobs in other departments, and let the HR guy explain all the legalese. I could kind of tell this was coming, but man, I've never had anything like this happen. This is why I'm trying to get out of the corporate world. :(

Well, if anyone knows any companies that need an operations manager in the South Florida area, I'm looking for a job.

2. humuhumu

humuhumu nukunuku apua'a
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    That sucks. Are you applying to med school during this cycle? You can't beat medicine for job security.

3. SanDiegoSOD

SanDiegoSOD Milk was a bad choice
    7+ Year Member

I was "downsized" in April when the lab I worked for ran out of grant funding. I feel your pain, it's definitely not fun... (but at least you got a severance package :))

4. medhacker

medhacker We can end world poverty!
    7+ Year Member

Bro this is like so typical of So. Florida's job security, I hope you find what you are looking for.

5. Apparition

Apparition 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I PMd you.

6. jbrice1639

jbrice1639 Cub Fan, Bud Man
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    i wish my company would downsize me...i would have absolutely no problem collecting severance pay and unemployment for 6 months til med school starts :D

7. unfrozencaveman

unfrozencaveman not a dude
    7+ Year Member

Yeah!! I would kill to be on severance and then collect unemployment until med school starts.

8. medicomel

medicomel Purveyor of short posts.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    And this is why I'm coasting in my cube. :thumbup: :thumbup:

9. dragonmate

dragonmate Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm sorry bout that. This is never easy, but I'm sure you're well on your way to a better job. ;)

10. Indryd

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hell yeah!

11. little_late_MD

little_late_MD Ready To Jump
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Actually I'm working on my pre-reqs right now, so I still have about 2 years left of slaving for the bean-counters-in-chief. I'm not really as upset about losing my job, as the way in which it was carried out. I understand a company's drive to remain lean and profitable, but for them to lay us off, and then tell us to apply for other jobs within the company was kind of insulting. I mean, they know what we're capable of, how about placing us where we can make an impact.

The worst part of the whole deal: the COO comes in, and the first thing he says is "I've been in your shoes in this situation twice before in my own life." Grrrrrr.......I'm a professional, I don't need to be patronized while I'm losing my job.

12. dbhvt

dbhvt Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

Sorry to hear that, lil' late. I wish you luck finding something to carry you through the next two years.