I was just wondering about this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Artimacia

can do stuff real good
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting my nosed pierced in the future (nothing obscene, just a small jewel.) But, what would I do if I get invitations to interviews? Should I leave it out, put clear jewelry in it, or put in something nice, like a small diamond, etc... or should I wait till after I get accepted somewhere, or after med school, etc... I don't know if I'm going to actually get it or not, but just in case I do. Please, don't be rude :(

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say hold off until med school for 2 reasons:

1. you want to look as professional as possible on interviews.

2. there are dress codes for clerkships. i'm not sure if that would be allowed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a nose ring. I just took it out for interviews-- the hole is so small you wouldn't notice unless you were staring looking for it. Then i put it back in when i got home that night. As long as you've had it pierced a few months it's not a problem, i leave it out for a day and it's fine.

I have a nose ring. I just took it out for interviews-- the hole is so small you wouldn't notice unless you were staring looking for it. Then i put it back in when i got home that night. As long as you've had it pierced a few months it's not a problem, i leave it out for a day and it's fine.

I had an eyebrow ring and got tired of taking it in and out for whatever reason that I eventually took it out for good.

something to consider. . .

What about after getting accepted? Will you be able to wear it in class as long as it's not a distraction or unsanitary, etc... I have seen doctors with nose rings before so I always wondered

I recommend putting it off...forever. Nose rings are gross.

I'm sure it will be fine once you begin, and I wouldn't worry about it. I think nose rings can look good if small and tasteful. No one will care, med school is not jail. Just take it out for interviews and you'll be fine

I thought about it, and decided to leave it in for my one day of interviews. One of the interviewers actually commented about it, but this is the same man who talked about his wife walking around their condo naked and how incompetent all other doctors were. In the end, I got in despite his comment.

I have a nose ring but I am also indian so I think that helps me get away with it. But I saw girls on my interview trail that had nose rings but they were very tasteful and small and I think, looked very appropriate. As long as you put in a small stud that is discrete yet elegant, I don't see it being a problem.

I wore my nose ring to interviews and no one commented. I did change it from a fun colored jewel to a simple colorless rhinestone though. No one commented and I did get in.