I was selling drugs, got shot, survived and now I'm applying to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JLeBling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two summers ago during my second last year at University, I decided to start selling marijuana to earn some extra money because my part-time jobs just didn't pay enough.

Long story short: I got involved with some really crooked people who tried to rob me at gunpoint. Having been raised in a upper-middle class neighborhood, I was incredulous of the authenticity of the firearm. I ended up getting shot while I was fighting one of my assailants. I ended up driving myself to the hospital, not recognizing the severity of my injury until after waking up in the OR a few hours later.

The bullet entered below my left ear, dorsal to my jaw, exited my right Zone II neck area and lodged into my shoulder - the police called it a "through and through". I suffered no permanent injuries and was released from hospital two weeks later. Shortly after it dawned on me that I definitely want to become a Trauma Surgeon, and I don't think I could be satisfied doing anything else.

The question is:

Should I talk about this during my application? In my personal statement? It's definitely the most significant experience I've ever had in my 23 years of existence, but you know it was also pretty illegal activities. How the hell can I justify to a medical school committee that I was selling drugs? How do I approach this? lol I've been mulling it over my head for quite some time now and I have absolutely no idea!

I do not sell drugs anymore, do not ask me to sell you any

This experience is definitely the things that sets me apart from most applicants, but it's also the thing that may get me rejected outright... See my dilemma? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Two summers ago during my second last year at University, I decided to start selling marijuana to earn some extra money because my part-time jobs just didn't pay enough.

Long story short: I got involved with some really crooked people who tried to rob me at gunpoint. Having been raised in a upper-middle class neighborhood, I was incredulous of the authenticity of the firearm. I ended up getting shot while I was fighting one of my assailants. I ended up driving myself to the hospital, not recognizing the severity of my injury until after waking up in the OR a few hours later.

The bullet entered below my left ear, dorsal to my jaw, exited my right Zone II neck area and lodged into my shoulder - the police call it a "through and through". I suffered no permanent injuries and was released from hospital two weeks later. Shortly after it dawned on me that I definitely want to become a Trauma Surgeon, and I don't think I could be satisfied doing anything else.

The question is:

Should I talk about this during my application? In my personal statement? It's definitely the most significant experience I've ever had in my 23 years of existence, but I was also involved in illegal activities etc. How do I approach this? lol I've been mulling it over my head for quite some time now and I have absolutely no idea!

Things to consider:

I am Canadian
I have NO criminal record (despite the fact that I was selling drugs)
My GPA is 3.48
Majored B.Sc. Psychology Honors Cum Laude
My MCAT is 35 (10VR 13PS 12BS)
I would prefer going to a Canadian Med School, I am open to U.S. Med Schools, not interested in International Med Schools (No Caribbean, Timbuktu, Australia, etc.)

This experience is definitely the things that sets me apart from most applicants, but it's also the thing that may get me outright rejected... See my dilemma? :confused:

Your avatar will be a definite positive. :love::love::love:

Ok.. In all seriousness, your GPA and MCAT are fine and I assume you have sufficiently good ECs? Your background story could be a problem though, but (this is a really optimistic perspective, so others can correct me on this) I'd think it's better to mention it as how it shaped you into a better, more mature individual.

You discuss it by not discussing the activities that provoked your assault.

People tried to rob you at gunpoint, you fought for your life, you were shot in the neck, survived, and birthed a burning desire to become a trauma surgeon to save lives the way yours was saved.

Members don't see this ad :)

People tried to rob you and at gunpoint, you fought for your life, you were shot in the neck, survived and birthed a burning desire to become a trauma surgeon to save lives the way yours was saved.

This. lol

Leave out the whole selling drugs bit.

Do you have a way to tell the story that doesn't include that fact that you were drug dealer?

If so, I'd say go ahead, but I sincerely hope you have gained a lot of maturity since that summer.

Interesting experience, and I am glad that you are alive and want to do something great with your life.

I think the experience is definitely worth sharing although I would not mention anything about selling drugs or doing business with drug dealers. If you felt comfortable sharing the experience about how you survived being robbed and didn't elaborate on anything else in essays, then I would go for it.

Most likely you would be asked about the experience and you could flat out lie about the reasons why you were being robbed, or better way to go about it is to get less specific about it and have it come across as if you were robbed walking to your car or something of the sort. I honestly think you could share the experience in a way where it doesn't have to come across like you were a drug dealer.

Other people might say it is okay to share how you were a drug dealer and learned from your mistake, but if I were on an admissions committee I would be very hesitant to take this person into medical school. That is just me though.

Talk about it, sure, but I don't see it as a compelling reason to enter medicine. You don't just wake up or day and decide to become a trauma surgeon because you got shot. That shows no deep, long term exposure to the field which is necessary to make a decision to enter it.

It's a horrible story for "Why medicine?" but a rather good one for "greatest challenge". You can explain how, despite having suffered major consequences for willingly engaging in illegal activities; you have (hopefully) become a changed person prepared to face a profession where high standards of ethical behavior are expected. You can discuss the activities and experiences you have had since being shot which have collectively reconstituted your morals, ethics and subsequent choices.

You should not expect much sympathy for getting shot because of your choices

This story has a very good calibre; use it to your benefit. Do not leave out any details. Drug dealer to Doctor is a very powerful story during interviews.

Aren't all doctors basically drug dealers

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, so is the drug dealing on your record? If so, you must disclose the incident and will likely be dead on arrival at most if not all schools.

He says no criminal record, so I would assume no.

In short, do not ever ever ever mention the selling drugs part. If you want to mention the getting robbed and shot thing, then go for it.

Talk about it, sure, but I don't see it as a compelling reason to enter medicine. You don't just wake up or day and decide to become a trauma surgeon because you got shot. That shows no deep, long term exposure to the field which is necessary to make a decision to enter it.

It's a horrible story for "Why medicine?" but a rather good one for "greatest challenge". You can explain how, despite having suffered major consequences for willingly engaging in illegal activities; you have (hopefully) become a changed person prepared to face a profession where high standards of ethical behavior are expected. You can discuss the activities and experiences you have had since being shot which have collectively reconstituted your morals, ethics and subsequent choices.

You should not expect much sympathy for getting shot because of your choices
+!

Wait, so is the drug dealing on your record? If so, you must disclose the incident and will likely be dead on arrival at most if not all schools.

Things to consider:

I am Canadian
My GPA is 3.48
I would prefer going to a Canadian Med School, I am open to U.S. Med Schools, not interested in International Med Schools (No Caribbean, Timbuktu, Australia, etc.)

This experience is definitely the things that sets me apart from most applicants, but it's also the thing that may get me rejected outright... See my dilemma? :confused:

;)

OP should keep in mind that adcoms browse SDN and thus a post about selling drugs and trying to cover it up shouldn't be associated with an account linked to a Twitter page with an identifying picture that's linked to a personal blog with even more identifying information...

OP should keep in mind that adcoms browse SDN and thus a post about selling drugs and trying to cover it up shouldn't be associated with an account linked to a Twitter page with an identifying picture that's linked to a personal blog with even more identifying information...

This is actually a pretty rare story, so I would try not to mention it at all on SDN again. How many applicants have a PS about getting robbed, shot in the head, recovering, then going into medicine? That coupled with the fact that you disclosed your GPA, major and MCAT. I have no idea how likely it would be for ADCOM members to see this, but if I were on an ADCOM, this would stick in my memory if I saw a PS come across with these details.

This story has a very good calibre; use it to your benefit. Do not leave out any details. Drug dealer to Doctor is a very powerful story during interviews.

This could problematic...If you dealt drugs before what's the stop you from dealing again when you have "legal" authority to do so.

I'd leave that part out of the story. I'd also run a background check on yourself just to be sure that it doesn't appear.

I'd also remove any identifying information.

This could problematic...If you dealt drugs before what's the stop you from dealing again when you have "legal" authority to do so.

I'd leave that part out of the story. I'd also run a background check on yourself just to be sure that it doesn't appear.

I'd also remove any identifying information.

Getting into med school is irrelevant here -- it's the hurdles you may face on the other side.
If there's any whiff of you having been involved in drug dealing, you will never be eligible for a DEA license to prescribe meeds, and probably can't get licensed in most states. They will ask. So it's not going to just be a matter of leaving it out.

Maybe it's a better idea just to avoid it altogether then. I thought it would be something interesting and unique get adcoms attention and increase my chances at getting in. But maybe it's the wrong kind of attention.

Disclaimer: maybe I just made this story up. You can't believe everything you read on the internet

Maybe it's a better idea just to avoid it altogether then. I thought it would be something interesting and unique get adcoms attention and increase my chances at getting in. But maybe it's the wrong kind of attention.

Disclaimer: maybe I just made this story up. You can't believe everything you read on the internet

Whether you avoid it or not, they will specifically ask when you apply for a license.

So according to the disclaimer, your avatar is FAKE?!?!?! I'm truly heartbroken.

Regardless of whether it happened (you must have a lot of time on your hands to make this up), I wouldn't mention it. Law2Doc nicely explains why.

Lol at disclaimer.

Not presently, but bear in mind that getting caught lying on an application for a license is treated at least as seriously as being honest about your past indiscretions. You will get caught between a rock and a hard place.

Yea it's bad to lie. But everyone knows that selling drugs is just something you don't go around telling people.

People tried to rob you at gunpoint, you fought for your life, you were shot in the neck, survived, and birthed a burning desire to become a trauma surgeon to save lives the way yours was saved.

This would be a great PS.

images

If this is true, then for your own sake unlink your twitter account (which includes a picture of you, btw) from SDN.

Try not to trip as you backpeddle so fast.

Love how many people were trolled by this. :smuggrin:

Really, people, you bought the drug dealer story? Classic SDN.

Love how many people were trolled by this. :smuggrin:

Really, people, you bought the drug dealer story? Classic SDN.

I actually believed OP's avatar was legit... It was a very heartbreaking shock when I realized the truth. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Who said the story, the picture, and the stats are his? For all we know he maybe setting somebody else up.

If the OP was smart and not being stupid by wasting all of our time with a fake scenario he would have posted what he had in reference to something that really did happen to him but under circumstances that would not connect him to the post but still allow him to benefit from the situation. Either way any retired drug dealers down the road that wish to become surgeons will have a lovely thread to refer to.

Guys I got a blowjob from a hooker last week...should I mention this in my PS where I talk about why I want to be urologist? I mean, I realized my penis was such an amazing organ, as did she...

This. :laugh::laugh: I LOL'd.

To prove you're not a troll, meet me in the alley at 11pm. Bring the goods.

The bullet entered below my left ear, dorsal to my jaw, exited my right Zone II neck area and lodged into my shoulder - the police called it a "through and through". I suffered no permanent injuries and was released from hospital two weeks later. Shortly after it dawned on me that I definitely want to become a Trauma Surgeon, and I don't think I could be satisfied doing anything else.

The question is:

Should I talk about this during my application? In my personal statement? It's definitely the most significant experience I've ever had in my 23 years of existence, but you know it was also pretty illegal activities. How the hell can I justify to a medical school committee that I was selling drugs? How do I approach this? lol I've been mulling it over my head for quite some time now and I have absolutely no idea!

Things to consider:

I am Canadian
My GPA is 3.48

#1 concern: Will you be denied financial aid due to a crime question?

Otherwise, I think you'll be fine if you address it properly if and when it comes up. If you sell your story and a movie is made about you, even a better bet you'll get in.

No offense, but the fact that you classify as 'upper middle-class' and were still moving herb but not out of necessity doesn't help your case in terms of writing a PS that could elicit a lot of sympathy nah mean. I wouldn't mention it unless you could talk about how you learned about it, I guess, but it's not like you were out on the streets with no other option.