I was told by my pre-health advisor...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bella20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
to make my list of EC activities shorter! why would she do that?!

Members don't see this ad.

So adcomms won't get bored reading it and start to skim. Why don't you lump some things together, like all honors/scholarships in one spot. All hobbies/avocations in another. Don't mention things at all if they aren't significant or were of short term. Make each activity nicely meaty sounding.

Agree with above.
Sometimes if you put in too much, they can't see the forest for the trees.
Also, it can look like you are trying to pad your resume.

Members don't see this ad :)
on my interviews, I was told exactly the opposite and was told that my update letters (with very long description) got me an interview/acceptance

with that said, my AMCAS app ECs only had like 1 line per activity though. I still wouldn't use fluff, but show your role and your enthusiasm

My first thought is that it looks like you are trying to pad your resume. If you are listing every single thing you had the slightest bit of involvment in, then maybe you should combine some things together. Fluff will only make your application look worse. If it comes across like you are exaggerating your involvment in trivial things then I wouldn't give much weight to your description of the important, more extensive EC's.

Last edited:
A lot of applicants use all 15 spaces, so you won't be incorrect to do the same if you'd prefer. We're just trying to read your advisor's mind to tell you what is going on in her thoughts.