I was told that non-science majors will most likely struggle and fail out of med school?

Aug 7, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I’m doing a DIY Post Bacc and my undergrad degree was in clinical psych with a minor in sociology. I’m currently taking the prereqs to apply to med school in the next 2 years. I most likely won’t take any upper levels beyond Biochem (I don’t have enough $$) and I was told that (by another applicant) that I won’t be competitive and will most likely fail out of med school. This person has taken ten gap years (& had to retake all prereqs) and is currently doing working on a chemistry masters degree. She also took the MCAT twice because she couldn’t score above 500 & told me that it’s basically impossible to get a 506 MCAT score because the test is so hard. I feel like she was trying really hard to discourage me anyway am I at a disadvantage because i wasn’t a bio/chem major??

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Do it.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Lol wow there is so much in this post. The MCAT is hard if you want to score very well. It is not hard to get a 506 if you take the time to study and prepare. You do not have to be a biochem major. I didn’t even take biochem before the mcat, and it was one of my best sections—I just taught myself with Kahn academy.

You also don’t have to be a biochem major for med school. They will teach you the biochem you need to know. I majored in math. There are people in my class who majored in theater or music. I’ve gotten honors every module so far despite not being a bio or biochem major. It literally doesn’t matter at all.

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I’m doing a DIY Post Bacc and my undergrad degree was in clinical psych with a minor in sociology. I’m currently taking the prereqs to apply to med school in the next 2 years. I most likely won’t take any upper levels beyond Biochem (I don’t have enough $$) and I was told that (by another applicant) that I won’t be competitive and will most likely fail out of med school. This person has taken ten gap years (& had to retake all prereqs) and is currently doing working on a chemistry masters degree. She also took the MCAT twice because she couldn’t score above 500 & told me that it’s basically impossible to get a 506 MCAT score because the test is so hard. I feel like she was trying really hard to discourage me anyway am I at a disadvantage because i wasn’t a bio/chem major??
Oh my god . This is ridiculous . there are two things that will tell if you will succeed in Med school:
1) you take REQUIRED prerequisites
2) you pass MCAT.
If you did those two things , and got accepted it means that you are ready . Seriously.
I am a biochem Major, my classmate is Philosophy (!!!!) major, and he is doing as well as I am . I have classmates from so many non-science majors it’s not even funny . And they are doing great .
Everyone has their own insecurities, and issues, don’t let another persons low confidence influence you ! Just keep working hard , and stop listening to others !

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
About the Ads

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Also - why would you listen about medical school from a person WHOs NEVER STUDIED THERE??????

• Love
Aug 16, 2019
Whenever you hear anything ask yourself 3 questions:
1) who said that?
2) isn’t that person a blockhead?
3) should you give a **** about their words?
Applies to literally everything.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
Aug 7, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Also - why would you listen about medical school from a person WHOs NEVER STUDIED THERE??????
Lol she’s the tutor for Organic chem and she told me to stop by her lab to “give me tips” about applying since she’s going through the process right now. I just wanted to hear her out but all she did was tell me how hard & impossible it is even for her (someone who’s working on their second masters, doing research at a cancer hospital). She made it seem like my chances are slim to none because apparently she saw “data” from the AAMC stating that non-science majors fail out of med school at a high rate because they don’t take upper level biology and chemistry

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Candor Chasma
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Ask her her CARS score. I wonder if she reads something like the link shown below but can't understand the underlying premise of the article or the statistics offered in it.

Reactions: 11 users

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
Lol she’s the tutor for Organic chem and she told me to stop by her lab to “give me tips” about applying since she’s going through the process right now. I just wanted to hear her out but all she did was tell me how hard & impossible it is even for her (someone who’s working on their second masters, doing research at a cancer hospital). She made it seem like my chances are slim to none because apparently she saw “data” from the AAMC stating that non-science majors fail out of med school at a high rate because they don’t take upper level biology and chemistry
Don’t go by her office anymore. If you need a tutor find someone else. Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

sloh

10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Southern California
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Sounds like she isn’t smart enough for medical school. Take what she says with a huge grain of salt; then ignore.

Reactions: 7 users

Bloobury

7+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)

If you study well, you'll be just fine. I took the MCAT *YEARS* after graduating and had forgotten lots and basically had to re-teach myself half the material. I know people who were English majors who are now physicians. Honestly, my science degree may have hindered me since it was super competitive and really hard to get A's. I have ton of upper division BCPM credits at basically a 3.0. I aced all my other coursework and would have easily had a 3.9 if I had only majored in my second major (a foreign language - my GPA was nearly a 4.0 in those classes). So yeah, in hindsight, it's kind of a wash as to whether it will help me get into medical school and I think it's the same for most other people, given the MSAR stats on the numbers of non-science majors matriculating at various schools.

Anyway, no point in worrying about something you can't control. The "am I at a disadvantage" line of thinking will not take you anywhere good.

Reactions: 1 users
Jan 6, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Sounds like she is a sore loser/misery-loves-company type. Shame that she is the orgo tutor though :( I would seek orgo help from someone else -- if she is that discouraging about your med school aspirations, I imagine she wouldn't be the most helpful or proactive tutor either. There are tons of non-science majors that do well in their classes and go on to succeed in medical school; there are many people who have done career-changer postbacs who are examples. It is true that the MCAT is difficult and I do think that people who are well-versed in research in basic sciences have an advantage, though that doesn't necessarily have to come from a degree. I think reading a number of journal articles would serve the same purpose. As far as admissions go, I have never heard of a school viewing a non-science major as a disadvantage -- all that counts is that one took the required pre-reqs; if anything, your educational background would likely make you a more interesting applicant. Don't let one person's opinion bring you down.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
You were told wrong. The woman is toxic from her own failures and is projecting onto you. Ignore her and avoid her.

Music majors tend to do very well at my school. Engineers seem to struggle, but that's because they bring in a particular mindset.

As long as you are doing well in your coursework, you show that you can handle med school.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
About the Ads

Fidelio17

2+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
My degree was in music, & I'm an M2. I pivoted from a career as a music teacher to starting med school in 26 months (~1 year diy post-bacc, 1 year app cycle).

Your major won't hold you back. As a general rule, don't take advice from people who can't score above the average on the MCAT. Really don't take advice from people who claim it's impossible to score better than the average on the MCAT.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Oct 5, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
as a non science major, I did struggle quite a bit. However, more importantly you need to persevere and keep at it. Now is the time for you to master your pre-rec courses. I think studying is easier now with the internet. I'm not familiar with DYI courses. I do better when I attend actual classes where I can interact with others.

Reactions: 1 user

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Do it.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
as a non science major, I did struggle quite a bit. However, more importantly you need to persevere and keep at it. Now is the time for you to master your pre-rec courses. I think studying is easier now with the internet. I'm not familiar with DYI courses. I do better when I attend actual classes where I can interact with others.

DIY just means you plan your courses out and take them yourself rather than attend a structured postbacc/premed program. It has nothing to do with actually going to class or not.

Vikingbear16

2+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2018
You will be more than fine! I am sad to hear someone is actively trying to project bad energy towards you. N=1 but I am a humanities/social science major who took the bare minimum premed classes (only upper div I took was one semester of biochem) and I got a 520+ on the mcat (granted it was the second attempt). I also have a 3.5X sGPA LOL so no genius by any means of the word.

TehTeddy

SDN Bronze Donor
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Not true - the MCAT is all about how you prep, not taking upper-division sciences. I took it 3 years after graduating, and I was a philosophy major with no science classes apart from the prerequisites. Scored in the 100th percentile using a test-heavy approach (UWorld, lots of FLs and passages, anki for all mistakes). There's something wrong if she can't break 500 after spending all that time preparing.

sloh

10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Southern California
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Crab mentality, also known as crab theory or crabs in a bucket (also barrel, basket, or pot) mentality, is a way of thinking best described by the phrase "if I can't have it, neither can you." The metaphor is derived from a pattern of behavior noted in crabs when they are trapped in a bucket. While any one crab could easily escape, its efforts will be undermined by others, ensuring the group's collective demise.

Reactions: 4 users
Aug 20, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Lol wow there is so much in this post. The MCAT is hard if you want to score very well. It is not hard to get a 506 if you take the time to study and prepare. You do not have to be a biochem major. I didn’t even take biochem before the mcat, and it was one of my best sections—I just taught myself with Kahn academy.

You also don’t have to be a biochem major for med school. They will teach you the biochem you need to know. I majored in math. There are people in my class who majored in theater or music. I’ve gotten honors every module so far despite not being a bio or biochem major. It literally doesn’t matter at all.

But biology is really applied chemistry which is really applied physics which is really applied math. So in a way you were a science major of sorts. ;)

• Haha
Aug 20, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
You can have a strong foundation in science without majoring in the sciences. If you don't have a sound foundation in the sciences, regardless of major, you will flounder.

Detective SnowBucket

2+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
the MCAT is hard and the MCAT is important, that being said, actually yea, the more time you spend out of school the harder it gets.

-Sincerely, a butthurt M1

Last edited:
About the Ads

Apprentice of St. Luke

2+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

My degree was in music, & I'm an M2. I pivoted from a career as a music teacher to starting med school in 26 months (~1 year diy post-bacc, 1 year app cycle).

Your major won't hold you back. As a general rule, don't take advice from people who can't score above the average on the MCAT. Really don't take advice from people who claim it's impossible to score better than the average on the MCAT.

Some unique stuff happens when physicians (MD/DO) have the kind of background at which others scoff.

I am focusing on my science pre-reqs now, but plan on taking formal music theory and analysis classes on the side while currently doing informal study, both to work on the kind of projects in this article and to prepare me to work in performing arts medicine, as well as to further non-medical pursuits (church organ, choral music, and Gregorian chant).

Last edited:

lull

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2018
My PI was an English major at Stanford...he runs a bench research lab now, only did a MD. I don't think it matters.

Jul 17, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
1. Your life will be much easier when you start considering the source of the information you hear. Never listen to anyone who hasn't personally done what you are aiming to do. If I wanted to fly planes, I would talk to a flight instructor, a student in flight school, or a pilot. I wouldn't listen to the person in undergrad or the staff member at the flight school in charge of Human Resources. My undergrad advisor told me to apply exclusively DO as my humanities background was a better 'fit' and I wouldn't find much success at more 'research-heavy' MD schools. I applied exclusively MD and received numerous acceptances. Luckily, prior to my forced meeting with her, a physician told me to ignore everything she said (she had a BA in English).

2. N=1. I was a double humanities major and never much cared for learning about plants, molecules, and the ecosystem (that's what Discovery/Nat Geo is for). The only sciences I took were the required sciences. I breezed through preclinical, clinical, step 1, and step 2. In medical school, it's not the level of difficulty of the information, it's the breadth/volume of information. If you have proper time management skills, you're in a good place. I was in no way at a disadvantage having a humanities background.

There will be lots of people in life who try to discourage you in order to make themselves feel better about their own failures. Do you and succeed.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

stickgirl390

I tell chemistry jokes periodically.
2+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I was also the organic chemistry tutor at my undergrad, much like your friend. I’m also a current MS3 at a US MD school, majored in documentary film. I have so far never come close to failing a class in medical school, much less failing out. Did great on Step 1.

My experience is the exact opposite of the advice your contact gave you. Therefore, my N=1 and hers negate each other, and now you’re back at square one.

Reactions: 3 users
Oct 1, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I was wondering about the same thing because I want to major in music but some people say med school will frown upon that. Everyone here is right though, doing good in med school I think is more about time management, study strategies, and actual interest in medicine than it is about how many difficult courses you took. Good luck to ya

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I was wondering about the same thing because I want to major in music but some people say med school will frown upon that. Everyone here is right though, doing good in med school I think is more about time management, study strategies, and actual interest in medicine than it is about how many difficult courses you took. Good luck to ya
Don't listen to those people because they don't know what they're talking about.

At my school, music majors make great students

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Do it.
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

Med schools don’t care what you major in. Something outside the normal bio/chem will actually be a nice talking point in interviews. My math degree was.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.