I wasn't rehired for my tutoring job...should I still ask the professor for a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tms01234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have had a tutoring job for the past three semesters (for Biology). I applied again for next semester and was rejected. The professor sent me a personal e-mail saying that while there were many good candidates that applied, they were taking in many more new applicants than usual (there is also a new supervisor for this upcoming semester) and that they did not have a position for me for the winter semester (this is a kind of job where you only have a job for a semester, and then reapply before each new semester). There are only about twenty positions that could be filled, as opposed to around 50-60 positions for fall semesters. I keep thinking about this over and over again, and whether the professor sees me as incompetent or not (I was very responsible with this job). I most likely won't be applying for tutoring for future semesters, but I am just wondering whether or not it would be a good idea to ask this professor for a LOR if I was rejected after working three semesters for them? And if they say no, should I not add this experience to my
application at all? Also, how will a job gap look in my application? Any advice would be extremely helpful...thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I have had a tutoring job for the past three semesters (for Biology). I applied again for next semester and was rejected. The professor sent me a personal e-mail saying that while there were many good candidates that applied, they were taking in many more new applicants than usual (there is also a new supervisor for this upcoming semester) and that they did not have a position for me for the winter semester (this is a kind of job where you only have a job for a semester, and then reapply before each new semester). There are only about twenty positions that could be filled, as opposed to around 50-60 positions for fall semesters. I keep thinking about this over and over again, and whether the professor sees me as incompetent or not (I was very responsible with this job). I most likely won't be applying for tutoring for future semesters, but
1) I am just wondering whether or not it would be a good idea to ask this professor for a LOR if I was rejected after working three semesters for them?
2) And if they say no, should I not add this experience to my
application at all?
3) Also, how will a job gap look in my application?

Any advice would be extremely helpful...thank you.
1) It doesn't sound to me like the professor was the sole determinant of whether you got rehired. You won't know his opinion of your performance unless you ask (you might, eg, ask if he would have any reservation about rehiring you next fall when more positions open up). Based on that conversation, decide if you wish to solicit an LOR.

2) There is no reason you should not list the position on your AMCAS Experiences list. Three semesters is a good duration for an activity, and teaching benefits one's application.

3) No big deal. And no explanation needed.

Reactions: 2 users
I would ask the professor regardless. Three semesters of work is a lot and they were probably just trying to cycle people though (think about it - this would allow others to get the same experience you had so they could go to med school later). I would ask the professor you tutored for if he/she would be willing to write you a strong letter on behalf of you going to med school. It's important you say a strong letter because otherwise he/she may just write an okay letter, which could hurt you.

Reactions: 1 user