I went to UT- Austin and cc problem ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hassan148

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a problem the first year I recived a 2.3 with 19 hours the whole year, (my dad had a major heart attack and almost passed away he spent a lot of time in the hosp) Then I recived a 4.0 with 38 hours the following year at cc, and then I transfered to UT - Austin where my junior year I have made a 4.0 wit 36 hours. I also made a 32 on the MCAT. What Medical School will take me with my bad stats, do I have a chance at any of the top schools.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your cumulative GPA, all CC and university classes considered?

Hey Hassan--

I don't know what chance you have at "top" med schools, but look at your stats from another angle. You had a good reason for a rocky start (and this is something you can address in your personal statement, and hopefully schools will take that into account), but you have an upward trend in grades and your MCAT is fine. You might also want to address why you went to cc for a year in your personal statment b/c adcoms probably won't look favorably on those classes without good reason, especially if you took your core science classes there. I think you had an earlier post saying your overall was a 3.5 (but i could be making that up :) ). Keep in mind that schools look at the total package, and while some might accept or reject you based solely on gpa and mcat scores, not all will.

Apply to a broad range of schools, not just the "top 10". why are you so set on these schools? just curious...

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by hassan148:
•I have a problem the first year I recived a 2.3 with 19 hours the whole year, (my dad had a major heart attack and almost passed away he spent a lot of time in the hosp) Then I recived a 4.0 with 38 hours the following year at cc, and then I transfered to UT - Austin where my junior year I have made a 4.0 wit 36 hours. I also made a 32 on the MCAT. What Medical School will take me with my bad stats, do I have a chance at any of the top schools.•••••Hassan, I don't think you'll have many problems. You have a definite upward trend in your GPA and have showed that you can get all A's not just at a CC, but at a good four year university. Med schools take family situations into consideration when they review applications. Your mcat is really good as well. I would make sure that you explain your freshman year grades and perhaps incorporate what allowed you to focus into your personal statement. Please don't think this process is strictly about gpa and mcat. Your letters of rec, personal statement, and extra-currics are all very important to. So, it is impossible to say what schools you have a great chance at. If you have a really strong personal statement, solid Recs, and meaningful extra-currics you will do just fine. Don't worry now, just get the application completely nicely and send it off. There will be pleny of time to worry later :wink:

hassan,

I agree with the previous posters, as long as you explain what happened your first year in the narrative, you should be fine. I had a bad first year (2.5 gpa) from having too much fun, and am on the alternate list at 2 TX school and am accepted at an out of state school. If you interview well, I don't think you'd have a problem getting in, especially to a TX school.

I think you will be fine, especially for tx schools. Write a good p.s. and you should be fine. 3.5 and 27 would still make you competitive for tx schools so your mcat will really put you over the top.