I went to walmart pharmacy and asked if there are any employment opportunities available

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amphetamine Salts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was doing some grocery shopping at walmart and i was walking past the pharmacy. i rolled up with my cart full of groceries to the drop off window and asked one of the people "hi, are there any employment opportunities at walmart pharmacy? i'm a pharmacy student". the tech gave me the pharmacy manager's card. initially i wanted to speak to the pharmacist working and let her know that i've been doing retail pharmacy for a little over 3 years and I am a competent individual. when i got the card though i figured i would just e-mail the pharmacy manager to inquiry on any openings. after i walked away i realized that the card simply had the manager's name, address of the walmart and the walmart pharmacy telephone number. no e-mail address at all. i said to myself "wow, what a useless piece of junk" and tossed the card in the trash. now i'm back at square 1 and still looking for a job. it's tough out there folks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
i was doing some grocery shopping at walmart and i was walking past the pharmacy. i rolled up with my cart full of groceries to the drop off window and asked one of the people "hi, are there any employment opportunities at walmart pharmacy? i'm a pharmacy student". the tech gave me the pharmacy manager's card. initially i wanted to speak to the pharmacist working and let her know that i've been doing retail pharmacy for a little over 3 years and I am a competent individual. when i got the card though i figured i would just e-mail the pharmacy manager to inquiry on any openings. after i walked away i realized that the card simply had the manager's name, address of the walmart and the walmart pharmacy telephone number. no e-mail address at all. i said to myself "wow, what a useless piece of junk" and tossed the card in the trash. now i'm back at square 1 and still looking for a job. it's tough out there folks

1. I hope this is a joke.
2. If this is indicative of the behavior of 2017/2018 graduates, I am in ultra great shape. Even better than I thought.
3. UPS is hiring holiday help. They do tuition reimbursement and drivers make great money. Not joking.

Reactions: 12 users
Why don’t you check Walmart’s website or ask the tech when the pharmacy manager is supposed to come in? You sound pretty arrogant though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

clearly the employee must also see u as a piece of junk, and thats why he/she gave u a piece of trash to go along with it. if they have high regard for an individual, they would not brush that person aside. they would ask for that person's email or phone number, and they will initiate the contact.

1. I hope this is a joke.
2. If this is indicative of the behavior of 2017/2018 graduates, I am in ultra great shape. Even better than I thought.
3. UPS is hiring holiday help. They do tuition reimbursement and drivers make great money. Not joking.
this was somewhat of a joke. i am relentless when it comes to pursuing job opportunities though
I think I see why CVS has given up on you
to be honest, when i first started at CVS i didn't have interest in retail, and it showed. it was only after my second APPE rotation that i started taking an interest in retail, at that point it was too late as far as CVS is concerned

What did you plan on doing before you decided on retail?

this was somewhat of a joke. i am relentless when it comes to pursuing job opportunities though

to be honest, when i first started at CVS i didn't have interest in retail, and it showed. it was only after my second APPE rotation that i started taking an interest in retail, at that point it was too late as far as CVS is concerned

Hope you understand how immature that statement is. You're not in high school where you blow off a history class or in undergrad where it's okay to get a B- in sociology. Once you start professional career, everything matters especially in a saturated market where multiple people are competing for same jobs and considering the relatively small world of pharmacy.

What did you plan on doing before you decided on retail?
i intended on getting into managed care. pharmacy benefit managers or mail order. i had a PBM rotation though and it didn't seem as glamorous as i thought it would be. also, i realized that the potential for a job in this area is slimmer than retail and usually granted once you're licensed. now i am looking to secure a retail position before i graduate. i am continuing to monitor online job boards and apply when anything becomes available. i also have 1 lead that i can get back to during feburary regarding job opportunities, a district manager that i met during an interview at my school's career fair

Hope you understand how immature that statement is. You're not in high school where you blow off a history class or in undergrad where it's okay to get a B- in sociology. Once you start professional career, everything matters especially in a saturated market where multiple people are competing for same jobs and considering the relatively small world of pharmacy.
it seems to me that you are very type a personality. on the other hand, i am very type b personality. i have met a lot of people with type a personality during my rotational experiences, and unfortunately i would have to answer to these people when i would very much rather not. but because this is the internet, and i have no compelling reason to answer to you, i will simply disregard your neurotic type a tendencies, and proceed to bask in my pleasant type b mindsets. with that being said, i will continue my job search and pursue my options

If you still had their card, I could have gotten you their email address. Oh well.

When I was still in undergrad, I had 0 pharmacy experience. I saw that you could apply to almost anywhere online, but I decided that it would be better to show up in person. I dressed nice and decided I would just drive around to a few pharmacies. The first pharmacy that I walked into was a CVS. The pharmacy manager happened to be working and after talking for 5 minutes about my intention to apply to pharmacy school he invited me into the pharmacy to "interview me". This was the only job interview that I've ever had where I was not asked a single question. He had me add myself into the computer system as a patient to see if I was "good with computers". Apparently I was able to type my name, address, and phone number with enough speed and accuracy because after I did this he told me to apply online, and to call him once the application was sent so that he could move it along.

It was very strange. I intended to quit as soon as I was accepted into pharmacy school anyways. At the time I didn't even know what an intern was, and I just wanted some pharmacy experience for my application. The job was terrible. 25 pages in QP, 5 pages in the red at all times. Nobody had time to train me, so I became the register slave. What made it even worse was that I had to take all of the verbal abuse from customers because their stuff was never finished in time. Every day someone would pull into the drive-thru, I would expedite the script, they would return in 15 minutes, still not done, they would return in 15 minutes, still not done. Some single mother career technician always telling me what to do and how to do it. If I typed one script in QT, than every mistake for the next 6 hours was blamed on me because the new guy was in QT. I was making 5 cents above minimum wage. The only good thing about the job was that the store was such a circus that the time passed quickly.

Reactions: 5 users
I used to work at Walmart for 5 years when I was younger(non-pharmacy related). I knew managers there personally. E-mailing them won`t help nowadays. I tried. They tried. They are not hiring.. unless you are really willing to move anywhere within the U.S.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'd say you're worse than back at Square 1, as there is now at least one pharmacy team in town that won't want to work with you

Reactions: 1 users
I thought this was a thread from OP from July, so I clicked to see an update. Different thread but same outcome.

I took this post as a joke about using less official routes to find a job vs a literal recount. I know that a lot of people get jobs by impressing a manager at a pharmacy or doing well on a hospital rotation. Several of my classmates did. In my job hunt, I just applied through websites and such. Like the original poster, I didn’t know where/how to find a job through networking. I think district managers, not store managers, do most (all?)* of the hiring at Walmart.
Walmart Careers | Submit a Walmart Job Application Online

*for pharmacist positions

Last edited:
I took this post as a joke about using less official routes to find a job vs a literal recount. I know that a lot of people get jobs by impressing a manager at a pharmacy or doing well on a hospital rotation. Several of my classmates did. In my job hunt, I just applied through websites and such. Like the original poster, I didn’t know where/how to find a job through networking. I think district managers, not store managers, do most (all?)* of the hiring at Walmart.
Walmart Careers | Submit a Walmart Job Application Online

*for pharmacist positions
Apply online for whichever RPh positions posted. In the past, they had a "talent team" that would call you for a phone interview then pass your application to the DM for location you applied, then another phone interview w/ DM. Not sure if they still do that now or just straight to DM. You may have to come in as a part time. No guarantee for hours on their end but you do get about 20 to 30 hours/week (even 40 hours during summer time) from what I see in my district. Otherwise, they wouldn't post the part time position if they don't have hours to give. They prefer to give pharmacy manager positions to internal pharmacists.

Well this upcoming grad isn't taking my job.

This is not how you get a job.

Reactions: 3 users
Man, you really need to think about how YOU would respond to someone like this if you're a manager at a store. Would you want to hire some rando that walked up in plain clothes with a shopping cart full of stuff? Or would you hire someone that showed up in a suit and tie with a resume in hand?

it seems to me that you are very type a personality. on the other hand, i am very type b personality. i have met a lot of people with type a personality during my rotational experiences, and unfortunately i would have to answer to these people when i would very much rather not. but because this is the internet, and i have no compelling reason to answer to you, i will simply disregard your neurotic type a tendencies, and proceed to bask in my pleasant type b mindsets. with that being said, i will continue my job search and pursue my options

Don't get your panties in a knot. Nobody is begging you to respond or post here. If you want to go at me I will respond. I am far from "type A personality", I had one of the lowest GPA, almost never showed up to class, was hated by several professors because I called them out for not being realistic about what practice of pharmacy is. Having said that, I always knew what side of my bread is buttered. I treated every day of work and every real rotation as an audition for a future job. I simply outworked and out-hustled people. I don't know you in real life, but as other pointed out, you come as immature and unprofessional, and seem to lack common sense. Like in this scenario, the tech handed you card of PIC. What I would have done, is called the PIC on another day, try to introduce myself and sell yourself as the greatest and most motivated future pharmacist who will be an asset to the company. then ask to get DM's info. Would this work? who knows, not too likely. But, when you have nothing, got to take try anything.... INSTEAD, your decision was to get rid of the business card and stop there...'nuff said.

Wait. Pharmacists are going to pharmacies directly and asking for a job? What happened to using the internet and sending a cover letter/CV to speak for your experience.

Imagine if you were a neurosurgeon in a hospital and a random guy in the hospital said he knows about the brain asked if he could help with the neurosurgery cases today. Same thing! That guy could be an escaped psychiatry patient for all the surgeon knows...

i remember when people said i couldn't make it through pharmacy school cause it's too hard, i did it
i remember when some have doubted me when i said i wanted to start a sustainable business, i did it
i remember when i was struggling to find a pharmacy internship 3rd year, i found one

and now i am struggling to find a job. but given my track record of success. my ability to strive, hustle, and produce results. i am confident that i'm gonna find some way to pull through

i remember when people said i couldn't make it through pharmacy school cause it's too hard, i did it
i remember when some have doubted me when i said i wanted to start a sustainable business, i did it
i remember when i was struggling to find a pharmacy internship 3rd year, i found one

and now i am struggling to find a job. but given my track record of success. my ability to strive, hustle, and produce results. i am confident that i'm gonna find some way to pull through
Pharmacy school isn't hard.

What is your business, I'm truly curious

You will never get a job from a major chain by simply walking up and asking if there are any job opportunities.

Pharmacy school isn't hard.

What is your business, I'm truly curious

You will never get a job from a major chain by simply walking up and asking if there are any job opportunities.
Yes I am aware. There are other things that I am trying as well. I am approaching this from multiple angles.

I tried the hand-my-resume-to-the-manager approach. Over 5 years ago, and only with tiny independent pharmacies. (It didn't work.)