"I will be attending ____ and turning down my acceptance to ____" 2018-2019 edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coldicecream

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to everyone who was accepted!:soexcited:
I've been seeing in some threads that people are declining seats, so I figured we can create this thread for this year.
If you don't know where you'll be attending, but already declined a school, please go ahead and list it here.
Let's bring some hope to those on the waitlist!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
I already turned down NOVA last week via email.

Reactions: 3 users
Decline MWU AZ and Nova's waitlist

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 6 programs. Attending UConn and declining Maryland, VCU, and Utah. I never heard back from Tufts or UNE.

Edit: I was just accepted to UNE. 1/9/2019
Edit: Tufts reached out to see if I was still interested. I just withdrew my application. 2/9/2019

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I will be attending LECOM, and I'm turning down my acceptance to Nova Southeastern.

My fiancé and I will be attending UMKC and declining

Minnesota
Creighton
UNMC
Colorado
MWU-AZ

Reactions: 7 users
Will be attending UF and declining Columbia, UPenn, Nova, Temple, and UDM

Reactions: 10 users
I will be attending UNE and declining my acceptance to IU

Attending UF and declining NOVA, and UKCD if I get off the waitlist.

Reactions: 9 users
UF checking in.
Declining Maryland, Temple, and Pitt

I will be turning down Louisville, UNLV, and MWU-AZ. Good luck waitlists!

Reactions: 1 user
Attending Utah. Turning down VCU, UNLV and UoP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Turned down Utah and VCU. Good luck to those on waitlists!

Reactions: 1 users
I will be attending Iowa and turning down my acceptances to Colorado, Creighton, Minnesota, Pitt, & UPenn

I will be attending Stony Brook and turning down my offers to Upenn, Rutgers, BU, and NYU.

Reactions: 6 users
I will be attending NYU and declining Roseman. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
Still undecided. However, I do believe if I work hard and do well I can specialize from UF as well. More competence and stress but it's worth the 100k I'll save
Good luck! I’m at UNC right now and it’s been tough, to say the least haha

Accepting VCU, Turning down UPenn, Pitt, and Temple

Reactions: 5 users
Accepting BU, turning down Tufts. Also dropping off of UConn’s waitlist.

Turning down LECOM, UNE, CU, UOP, Western, and Pitt!

Accepting UCLA :)

Reactions: 8 users
Going to UConn, turning down Tufts, Touro, UPenn, and BU

Attending Pitt :soexcited:
Turning down UF, Maryland, Nova, Temple, UDM, USC, NYU, Tufts

Why BU over Tufts?
I prefer the smaller class size and resources that BU can provide. Also, I heard students complaining about their classmates at Tufts, which rubbed me the wrong way. Students seem more competitive in a class size of 200 in my opinion.

For now (unless any schools offer way more money haha), I'll be attending Penn and turning down my acceptances to UConn, Maryland, Rutgers, Harvard, and Columbia.

Super excited to meet the other members of my class, PM me if you're also attending Penn! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
For now (unless any schools offer may way more money haha), I'll be attending Penn and turning down my acceptances to UConn, Maryland, Rutgers, Harvard, and Columbia.

Super excited to meet the other members of my class, PM me if you're also attending Penn! :)

I hope you got a monster scholarship at penn for turning down UConn

Attending Texas A&M COD, and turning down ASDOH. Good luck to everyone and congratulations!!

Reactions: 6 users
I hope you got a monster scholarship at penn for turning down UConn

I personally liked the curriculum at Penn much more and know I'll be happier in Philly than in Farmington. I know the Philly area and also don't plan on spending as much on Room and Board as Penn has on their estimated COA so my estimate for how much I'd be spending came out to about $30k more than UConn, which I think is worth it.

I personally liked the curriculum at Penn much more and know I'll be happier in Philly than in Farmington. I know the Philly area and also don't plan on spending as much on Room and Board as Penn has on their estimated COA so my estimate for how much I'd be spending came out to about $30k more than UConn, which I think is worth it.
Awesome choice! :soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
Attending Rutgers, turning down NYU, BU, UPenn and USC.

Attending Columbia, turning down BU, Tufts, NYU, Case Western, UDM, Temple, USC.

congrats to everyone!

Just curious how many who have posted on this thread have actually notified the schools you're turning down?

I'm one who is on a few wait lists so I'm just curious if you've contacted those schools yet to let them know.

Just curious how many who have posted on this thread have actually notified the schools you're turning down?

I'm one who is on a few wait lists so I'm just curious if you've contacted those schools yet to let them know.

I declined my other offers a couple days after Dec. 3rd.

Attending MWU-AZ, declining interviews at MWU-IL, Case, and UNE. Pulling all applications from remaining schools as well. GL to those waitlisted and those with interviews incoming!

Attending MWU-AZ, declining interviews at MWU-IL, Case, and UNE. Pulling all applications from remaining schools as well. GL to those waitlisted and those with interviews incoming!

Turning down Case for MWU-AZ ????

Turning down Case for MWU-AZ ????
Yeah lol. Absolutely loved the school, the clinic blows every other school I've looked at out of the water. I truly believe I will leave MWU-AZ ready to hit the ground running. I have the money saved to cover costs of living, so should only need loans for tuition. The money will always take care of itself if you work hard. The loans don't scare me one bit after talking with current and former students.

Turning down Michigan (75k scholarship)

Yeah lol. Absolutely loved the school, the clinic blows every other school I've looked at out of the water. I truly believe I will leave MWU-AZ ready to hit the ground running. I have the money saved to cover costs of living, so should only need loans for tuition. The money will always take care of itself if you work hard. The loans don't scare me one bit after talking with current and former students.

Anybody else care to comment on the underlined part? I have talked to a lot of dentists about my options, and they all keep saying this: the money will take care of itself eventually. I mean, it seems easy for them to say since they are currently in the position of earning money vs. borrowing money. But maybe they are smarter than we are. Or maybe the current state of dental school tuition is something that they have never had to deal with.

Accepting Minnesota turning down Casewestern, UDM, and MWU-IL

Anybody else care to comment on the underlined part? I have talked to a lot of dentists about my options, and they all keep saying this: the money will take care of itself eventually. I mean, it seems easy for them to say since they are currently in the position of earning money vs. borrowing money. But maybe they are smarter than we are. Or maybe the current state of dental school tuition is something that they have never had to deal with.

It should definitely be monitored but I’m a little less scared now. An OMFS I work for said they were $500k in debt and is now debt free after probably 10-12 yrs of work, all while enjoying life, taking multiple foreign vacations a year, etc. I think SDN looks at average income (~150k) as what everybody perpetually will make, which makes even $300k debt look like an impossible hill to climb.