I will be withdrawing my app....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PrinceElvis97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I submitted my primary but have noticed two issues in the activity section that I don't feel comfortable with.

1.) I said: "I also shadowed Dr. Regina, pediatrician, through whom......"
-Now correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't I have added an, "a" before pediatrician.

2.) I added a comma after "and."
-
I said: Prenatal fund is an organization that fosters friendship, courage and, mentorship"

I feel ashamed and my parents asked me to just withdraw my app and apply next year, as these are errors that won't go unnoticed. This is truly unfortunate and I don't know if they're right and I should just cancel my app.

@Catalystik @gonnif @LizzyM @Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
99% sure this is a troll, but if not, this is fine. proofread ur apps before u submit folks, but a few typos arent going to be the end of ur app. The race to verification isn't very important, just submit the primary earlier than August to avoid some neuroticism induced headaches and give urself time to work on secondaries before interview season

Reactions: 8 users
Ok, i am not in the admissions committee or faculty, i am sure @Goro and LizzyM would have a much better insight, but if these are your only problems, i honestly dont think it is worth withdrawing your application for, and postponing matriculation by one year.
People make mistakes, and there will be a lot of times in life when you say something weird, or do something that is not perfect. You did not disrespect anyone by doing what you did, you did not offend anyone. I think allowing yourself to mess up, and accepting yourself as someone who is not perfect is part of the process.

You have nothing to be ashamed about.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell why Lucca's troll radar is blaring. It's way too neurotic to be true

Reactions: 4 users
I can tell why Lucca's troll radar is blaring. It's way too neurotic to be true
I dont think it is a troll in a traditional sense. Look at the other messages posted by this person. I think it is just a neurotic overachiever. Nothing wrong with that per se, but this person should definitely get this under control before he/she earns an ulcer....

I dont think it is a troll in a traditional sense. Look at the other messages posted by this person. I think it is just a neurotic overachiever. Nothing wrong with that per se, but this person should definitely get this under control before he/she earns an ulcer....

looked at their post history, agreed, not a troll

OP the two "mistakes" you cited won't hurt your app. no adcom got time to notice that. they've got too many apps to read in a day

Reactions: 1 user
Do NOT throw your entire app away over this. I will say this, try and relax, as being this neurotic will not help you going forward.

Also consider a less stressful specialty if you get into medical school. Maybe psychiatry? I have a feeling you will crumble under any real stress.

As others stated, if this isn't a troll post, i doubt anyone would even notice these grammatical issues. I haven't reviewed med school applications but I've reviewed resident applications... Who the hell has time to go over every single detail in those incredibly long applications?

Might not be a bad idea. Obviously I think the OP has what it takes academically to be fine but... if the OP is this neurotic, imagine when he/she slips in medical school.

Reactions: 6 users
Hello all,

I submitted my primary but have noticed two issues that I don't feel comfortable with.

-Now correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't I have added an, "a" before pediatrician.

-
I said, Prenatal fund is an organization that fosters friendship, courage and, mentorship"

I feel ashamed and my parents asked me to just withdraw my app and apply next year, as these are errors that won't go unnoticed. This is truly unfortunate and I don't know if they're right and I should just cancel my app.

Also if you are truly not trolling. Then your parents are fairly neurotic for suggesting you withdraw an application for something so ridiculously trivial.

Reactions: 3 users
Might not be a bad idea. Obviously I think the OP has what it takes academically to be fine but... if the OP is this neurotic, imagine when he/she slips in medical school.
good point.. I think the OP will just HAVE to adjust and change once they get to the medical school. I wasnt even nearly as neurotic (i didnt even ask anyone to read my essay), but i had a very hard time the first 2 months or so. It was so stressful. I couldnt eat, i couldnt sleep... i felt like i was failing. (i wasnt, but it was just the feeling). I had to change a lot to not go crazy.

Also if you are truly not trolling. Then your parents are fairly neurotic for suggesting you withdraw an application for something so ridiculously trivial.
Perhaps it runs in the family. After all, takes two to tango.

Members don't see this ad :)
take-home point is dont worry, and dont withdraw
I don’t care either way but don’t you find it somewhat concerning that the OP is asking something as serious as whether to withdraw at midnight? To me that means he/she is not only neurotic but also is unable to handle stress well. Like I said before imagine what kind of response the OP could have in medical school when he/she makes a mistake or has problems adjusting.

take-home point is dont worry, and dont withdraw

Actually take home point is that there are hundreds and thousands of applications. Each application is full of so much junk and redundancy. Really if i reviewed an application, this is how i would do it.

See gpa, see mcat, glance at headings for extra curriculars, and basically by this point decide on sending an interview, basically ignore the unnecessary text explaining the extracurriculars, then maybe read a couple paragraphs of the personal statement to reaffirm my previous interview decision. Maybe spend 10 minutes in total.

You might consider withdrawing. Not due to these little mistakes that no one will notice, but to explore yourself, gain confidence and, mature away from your overbearing parents. Browse through this forum of horror stories people have in their PS and they how still received acceptances.

so i just had this thought - is it possible that you are just trying to sabotage yourself? Do you maybe subconsciously think that you are not ready for it?

Let's keep it professional, everyone. OP has gotten the feedback they wanted and we need not speculate further

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Hello all,

I submitted my primary but have noticed two issues that I don't feel comfortable with.

-
I said, Prenatal fund is an organization that fosters friendship, courage and, mentorship"

If your parents weight are so much that you'd withdraw your application and let your life dangle from their fingers; then yes, you should withdraw.

My personal advice: typos are very common in applications. It doesn't merit waiting a full year to reapply but this is also why adcoms tell people to read their applications aloud and reread it 100s of times.

Also consider a less stressful specialty if you get into medical school. Maybe psychiatry? I have a feeling you will crumble under any real stress.

As others stated, if this isn't a troll post, i doubt anyone would even notice these grammatical issues. I haven't reviewed med school applications but I've reviewed resident applications... Who the hell has time to go over every single detail in those incredibly long applications?
Idk why neurotic SDN questions always devolve to: Maybe don't consider medicine or Maybe choose a less stressful specialty.

Consider the times we're in. Our country is literally burning, students have been stuck inside their houses for 4 months, and the economy is collapsing. To add to this already abundant stress the application portal has opened. These are unprecedented times and we should be accommodating towards young students who already have very difficult lives right now.

Hello all,

-

I'm really hoping this is a stress relief comment for the other readers at SDN given how hard and challenging these days are.

But if not, as above posters said, medicine is enough already. Relax, take a few breaths, and relax. Don't withdraw your app, as while you have a few grammar mistakes, it is not a fatal mistake to get your app thrown out.

Hello all,

-

OP, I found multiple small mistakes in my primary AMCAS app when I went through it to pull stuff for scholarship applications. I edited that thing a million times. Sometimes things slip through the cracks. I got admitted MD with meh stats AND baby mistakes on my primary. You’re fine.

word of advice going forward: please do not read your secondaries after submitting. I made the mistake of doing that once. Submit it and move on. You can’t change the past

OP, I found multiple small mistakes in my primary AMCAS app when I went through it to pull stuff for scholarship applications. I edited that thing a million times. Sometimes things slip through the cracks. I got admitted MD with meh stats AND baby mistakes on my primary. You’re fine.

word of advice going forward: please do not read your secondaries after submitting. I made the mistake of doing that once. Submit it and move on. You can’t change the past
in other words, Full send - no regrets :kitty: We all make mistakes and a few typos won't sink you

These are very small mistakes, nothing to even worry about. I would bet that probably most applicants make a typo in their primary or secondaries. Like other users mentioned make sure to be more careful when submitting secondaries and you should be golden. Look into grammarly and prowritingaid. Also don’t let your parents control your actions. You are a grown person applying to graduate school. They likely know nothing about this process. Good luck!

Hello all,

-

No these aren't lethal, especially the first one.

Now, I know that this process is an anxiety provoking one, but really, if you're thinking about withdrawing an app over two typos, then I seriously doubt your ability to make through the furnace of medical school, which breaks even healthy people.

And stop taking advice from your parents, who are trying thier hardest to derail your medical career with bad advice.

Is this for real?
Judging by posts over the last five years, yeah.

To OP - The med school path is stressful, and I can see it has certainly made you have a freakout or two, a lot of us have been there. I don't mean to go off-topic, but I am slightly concerned with what may happen with future stressors. Med school itself, plus residency, and a career in medicine in general, will hit you with more and more. In fact, every interview I've had this application cycle had a heavy focus on "how do you deal with stress?" since med school is a crucible that can truly break some students. If you're able, I would take the time to talk to someone about your anxiety and maybe learn some techniques to deal with stress.

Of course, I'm just an M0 whose only information about you is from previous posts you've made on SDN, so I'm making some serious assumptions BUT if you do feel like "hey, maybe I do get stressed and anxious a lot and for relatively unreasonable reasons" definitely do consider talking to someone about it!

Good luck, take a breath!

Last edited:
Actually take home point is that there are hundreds and thousands of applications. Each application is full of so much junk and redundancy. Really if i reviewed an application, this is how i would do it.

See gpa, see mcat, glance at headings for extra curriculars, and basically by this point decide on sending an interview, basically ignore the unnecessary text explaining the extracurriculars, then maybe read a couple paragraphs of the personal statement to reaffirm my previous interview decision. Maybe spend 10 minutes in total.

All premeds' eyes on Dr. cyanide's post here...

No these aren't lethal, especially the first one.

Now, I know that this process is an anxiety provoking one, but really, if you're thinking about withdrawing an app over two typos, then I seriously doubt your ability to make through the furnace of medical school, which breaks even healthy people.

And stop taking advice from your parents, who are trying thier hardest to derail your medical career with bad advice.

wait is this even a question? I mean neither of them seem like a big deal whatsoever..... to be honest if I were reading it, I’d prob not even notice them. @LizzyM
@Moko

the first one might sound off but reading it- it doesn’t even sound bad.
The second one with the comma, I mean seriously who the heck will notice that?

OP Relax and if it helps I’m tagging the wise LizzyM, Moko for their input.

wait is this even a question? I mean neither of them seem like a big deal whatsoever..... to be honest if I were reading it, I’d prob not even notice them. @LizzyM
@Moko

the first one might sound off but reading it- it doesn’t even sound bad.
The second one with the comma, I mean seriously who the heck will notice that?

OP Relax and if it helps I’m tagging the wise LizzyM, Moko for their input.
Goro already weighed in and this thread has given the OP the information he/she/they need. A few grammatical errors are not lethal to an application as we are all human and err. Closing thread :hattip:

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.