I will decide which school to attend based on..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I will decide which school to attend based on..

• name, prestige

Votes: 20 16.1%
  • board scores, match results

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • offers program I want (MPH, MSTP)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • cost, financial aid

Votes: 20 16.1%
  • good location

Votes: 21 16.9%
  • school, people fit my personality

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • tired of being waitlisted somewhere else

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • wife / partner / parents decided for me

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • it's the only place I got in

Votes: 12 9.7%
  • other

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Enkindu

one hand clapping
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious about this issue..choosing can be tough!

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I think all of those factors are big considerations when selecting a medical school. I don't think one could just use one of those categories to select a medical school.

With that said...If I had to choose one category that was most important to me it would be location, location, location. A lot like real estate. ;) I'd say the next most important thing if not as important as location is the school's ability to place its students into good residencies. Then I'd look for curriculum and grading system. Ideally I'd want to go to a school that is pretty good in those three main areas.

I don't think other factors are as important if important at all. I think EVERY school will have cool people and annoying people. Every school will have good and bad professors. For the most part, every single school I've visted has happy students. Its funny because I read all these interview feedback reviews and for the most part students are "genuinely happy" at their school. hehe. I'd say yeah they are happy, especially if its a top 30 school, because quite a few kids in those classes had the opportunity to choose their school over another. Of course they are going to choose the place they would thrive the best in. Cost can be a big issue depending on the individual. For nontrads its probably a big factor. For trads my take is that yes it seems like enormous debt. But it is a debt that can and will be paid off as a physician. I don't think costs should negate the big three considerations. Certainly the degree of its importance is dependent on the individual.

Of course there are other issues at stake...having children, a wife, etc. Those factors would automatically be as important if not more than the big three.

just my 2 pennies.

Many good points UCLAman. I agree- the decision is complex and involves many factors. I was just wondering what "tips the scales" for people when it's time to finally decide. I think most folks have a consideration that overides the others in the end.. that's what I'm curious about. I have found other people's comments on this issue to be very helpful. Cheers and good luck!

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Enkindu
Many good points UCLAman. I agree- the decision is complex and involves many factors. I was just wondering what "tips the scales" for people when it's time to finally decide. I think most folks have a consideration that overides the others in the end.. that's what I'm curious about. I have found other people's comments on this issue to be very helpful. Cheers and good luck!

:)

No I totally understand. :) I voted for location on the poll just because I think wherever I go there will always be people I will click with become really good friends with so its just a matter of the place being nice.

This is a good question, I'm battling how to weigh things out myself. I think that residency/clinical experience are high up there, and I was thinking that the school atmosphere would be more important than location. I really don't know how much I will be able to get out and enjoy my location, so as long as the people seemed like my kind of people it'd be a good fit. And then other factors like PBL, and where you do 3rd and 4th year rotations.

Anyone else really torn between a high ranking and a really good "gut feeling" somewhere else?

Other: the Easiest girls...

OK not really, I've never had the choice between two schools...let alone one.

It was really hard to pick just one... several of those options are important to me! :)