plsfoldthx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Studying for MCATs right now... (I know I shouldn't be browsing the web)... but I wish I could study forever until I was done.

Why do we even need sleep... how much does your metabolic rate drop when you're sleeping?

BlueElmo

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I love sleep. Imagine a world without sleep. That would be sad. It would be like a world without food.

cubssox2000

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
In the MKE
Status
Medical Student
Without sleep you would have a harder time remember things. Sleep gives your brain time to reflect on the day and reorganize, sort and store knowledge. So, you might find it pretty important with the MCAT coming up.

dd128

10+ Year Member
May 30, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You need sleep to process all that fun info you're learning and will never use again after that test. Without sleep all the studying in the world would probably be useless. At least that's what all the current studies say...will probably change in a few years ;)

SketchsaurusRex

conundrum
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2009
The Factory
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
If you dont sleep, you cant have dreams...
one night I found a trillion dollars in a dumpster. I bought a large portion of the Arctic circle and built a heated ice fortress guarded by Siegfried/Roy trained polar bears. they had diamonds for teeth. it was very hard to wake up from that. still makes me sad :(

bravofleet4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
i like sleep...i developed several potentially life-long health problems due to lack of it.

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Lucid dreaming is the best!

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I had a room-mate in college who hated sleep. He'd stay up all night on the computer and it drove me absolutely crazy to hear him typing all night.
His philosophy was "Sleep is for the dead."

He also claims I sleep-talk.
I sleep-talk, too. Today while I was napping, I screamed out, "That's bull****!" And startled my gf who was diligently studying biology. I cannot quite remember what the dream was about, but I woke up rather agitated. Then I just laughed it off lol

NerdyAndrea

Pre-Med Student
Feb 10, 2010
At my school
Status
Pre-Medical
The book 100 Years Of Solitude comes to mind in light of this post.

oaklandguy

Dismembered
Jul 22, 2009
On the shores of my conscious
Status
Pre-Medical
I know a girl who is a sleep walker. She only does it when she's not in a comfortable sleep position, but it scares the crap out of you when you see it. I guess you aren't supposed to wake them up either when they sleep walk.

I personally which I could fall asleep. Ugh. My life would be so much better.

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I know a girl who is a sleep walker. She only does it when she's not in a comfortable sleep position, but it scares the crap out of you when you see it. I guess you aren't supposed to wake them up either when they sleep walk.

A little valerian root or melatonin should help with that :) or a night of heavy boozing (however, I do not recommend the latter).

plsfoldthx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I sleep-talk, too. Today while I was napping, I screamed out, "That's bull****!" And startled my gf who was diligently studying biology. I cannot quite remember what the dream was about, but I woke up rather agitated. Then I just laughed it off lol
The other night I kicked my dog off my bed as a result of something in my dream

oaklandguy

Dismembered
Jul 22, 2009
On the shores of my conscious
Status
Pre-Medical
A little valerian root or melatonin should help with that :) or a night of heavy boozing (however, I do not recommend the latter).
Melatonin usually helps, but I have to be up in 5 hours and I won't be able to wake up if I'm on melatonin. I am currently drunk, I think my body has built a resistance to alcohol-induced sleeping.

May 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I love sleep. Imagine a world without sleep. That would be sad. It would be like a world without food.
:laugh: That was beautiful. I almost cried.

If I can get by with 5 or 6 hours on weekdays, I don't see why I would make myself go to sleep earlier just to get more.

Jul 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
sleep is a waste of time imo. sometimes i love it, when i'm really tired all i care and look forward to is sleeping, or if i just had a sh itty day its a nice "break from reality" as long as I don't dream about my shi tty day. what i hate is when you can't fall asleep, extremely frustrating.

addo

7+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2010
Texas
Status
sleeping is kinda of a good thing, bad thing. I mean on one hand, a good night sleep is pretttay good, on the other hand you ideally have to do it everyday...1/4-1/3 of your life, you will spend sleeping, and in a 75 year life that amounts to about 20 years. Wouldnt it better if we could just wake up at 20 years old and never have to sleep again...actually i dont know if that would be a good idea.

Squeal

Think for yourself
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical

My mom says I curse in my sleep too. She thought I was awake though, and subsequently gave me the silent treatment for like two days. :rolleyes:

Squeal

Think for yourself
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical

I had a roommate who would only sleepwalk when he was really drunk...and he slept naked...and he tried to pee in our dorm's sink...and he missed...

startswithb

Future Urologist
7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There's more than one MCAT?!

UC pre med

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
While it may be nice to have seemingly unlimited time to study, this will be offset by your quality of ability to study as it will decline after you have been awake for more than 20 hours. Therefore, its not beneficial for you to stay up day after day, as crucial as time is these days.

Techmed07

10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
This thread reminds me of Nancy Kress's Beggars in Spain. Read the book, and be envious.

Jan 2, 2010
Reality, or so i think.
Status

if you have sex with a sleep walking person, does that counts as rape? does the person know what is happening?

boaz

shanah alef
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2007
bachelor pad
Status
Medical Student
No wonder why you can't sleep, you're studying for the MCATs, not the MCAT. How many you plan on taking?

:p