I wish I had known before applying!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdrtoledo

Pharm Delicious
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My grad school GPA is so high. My undergrad isn't as high. Some schools are sweatin me. Why?

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar situation (bad undergrad grades and a high grad gpa) and I received several interviews and was accepted. In my experience, many schools will look past your undergrad gpa and focus on your high grad gpa, but of course, you first must make the cut-off. For many schools, the ugrad + grad gpa must be at least a 2.75 for them to even consider offering you an interview. One thing you might want to consider is retaking a few courses you did poorly in as an undergrad. This will boost your gpa significantly. Good luck and hang in there!

What schools did you apply to? I had the same issue going into the process... only AZCOM refused me a secondary. I called and "spoke" with them.. and I was getting the green secondary every two weeks.

So far, I've applied to 7 schools, interviewed at 4, and been accepted to 3 (#4 is pending).

-A

Members don't see this ad :)
The most important way you can sell yourself --is through the personal statement--did you address your situation in it? A lot of schools, including KCOM, are less interested in numbers and more interested in the person. ALL schools are allowed (states schools are required i believe) to accept a percentage that do not meet the standards, but the reasons must be compelling. You may use this avenue to gain entrance by offering a good explanation (not an excuse, mind you) as to why you started off slowly.

P.S.--I had a 1.6 GPA after my first year of undergrad, then raised it to a 3.5 by the time I graduated. Every school I applied to said this showed a level of maturity that makes a good medical student and a good physician.

sorry to come in your forum, l'm french and my english is not so good, but l can try ! it seems very different to become an osteopath in USA and in France .
during how many years do you study in an osteopathic's school ?
Here after " bacalaureat " ( licence at the end of college), we can go in an osteopathic's school for 6 years or if we are " kinesitherapeute" or nurse or
midwife, we go 5 days by months in school during 6 years too . :rolleyes:

I just ran across your post. hopefully someone can answer this as well. If you repeat a course, is the new grade averaged with the old one? or replaced? Second, would it be wise to repeat a course if you got a C?

jubei0766:

As I understand it, AACOMAS only takes the last grade achieved on any repeated course. If you are applying to TCOm because of the Texas system, they average all your grades.

If I am mistaken, somebody please jump in. Thanks.

BBB :D

Thanks for the info guys,

Amra: the schools that are giving me grief are michigan state and midwestern.

Considering I am from out of state, I felt they were just trying to cut down the applicant pool. I feel that they didn't even go past the numbers. In fact, they didn't wait for my MCAT, which was good. My essay clarified my issues and my experience in health care is quite broad. I don't think they bothered reading anything else but the bottom line.

I don't know if it is worth taking my undergrad courses again. I am in graduate school... I take courses like pharmacokinetics and medicinal chemistry, going back to take general chem seems silly.

Thanks again for the advice! :)

booboo you are correct. You must list both courses on AACOMAS (repeat and the original course), but the original course gets a grade of "R". Only the new grade for the repeated course shows up and is averages in to the gpa.

Which is the reason people seem to think that DO students are MD rejects. AMCAS uses both grades, bringing down the average of anyone who went through a down period, which would include most non-trad students. DO schools usually believe in second chances and that life experience goes a long way.