I withdrew twice from Orgo 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WayneWilliamsPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests. I withdrew from Organic 1 twice and woulD like to know if I'm doomed. I took it initially during the summer, but my internship required me to leave for a week during a test so I dropped. I re-took alongside Gen Chem 1 &2. They're retakes and I have A's in both. These classes concurrently have made me put Orgo on the back burner as I have the MCAT in a few months ( averaging a 29) and need to crack a 30. How will this look?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you plan on taking the ochem before the mcat?

I'm going to continue going to class every nOw and then to becOme familiar with the material. From studying there isn't much OrgO on the Mcat though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would look on the mcat thread and get an idea what to expect and maybe look at chad video or khan academy the test was pretty rough and I could not imagine doing it without taking ochem I wish you the best and good luck on the test :)

Yes, all I use is Khan Academy to study. Do you think these two withdrawals from the same course will have an adverse effect as they think I won't be able to handle the material?
I would look on the mcat thread and get an idea what to expect and maybe look at chad video or khan academy the test was pretty rough and I could not imagine doing it without taking ochem I wish you the best and good luck on the test :)

Yes, all I use is Khan Academy to study. Do you think these two withdrawals from the same course will have an adverse effect as they think I won't be able to handle the material?
I have seen a thread about W's on here and I some people including myself have a W I would reach out to the accepted students, that may be brought up in an interview but I would just take the ochem and do well that will benefit you.

There's no need to post about this issue multiple times in multiple threads. The answer is: it will be fine to have withdrawn. Now focus on how you're actually going to succeed in organic chem and the MCAT. I would be very worried about not having taken orgo before the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
One or two withdrawals is fine. But do not make a habit of it. For now, I suggest you take orgo when you do not have busy schedule and attempt to get B+ or higher. It would help taking the class before the MCAT but if you study organic chemistry from a review book you should be fine also. Just do not withdraw from any other classes.

I had two W's in Orgo 2, but I had a good explanation when the adcom asked about it in my interview. I got accepted. :)

Not to meddle but what were your general reasons as how do you think my reasons sound. The first time I dropped I was unaware that my internship required me to be away from school. The second time I was taking two chemistries and trying to study for the MCAT. I dropped to have more time to study. Should I be this honest?

I withdrew from genetics two times in a row. I then took it a third time and got a C+. I am an accepted medical student now. In conclusion: I don't think it matters as long as your OTHER grades are good and you have a strong MCAT, ECs, etc. Make sure you do not have a ton of red flags.

For the MCAT, most people will say that there isn't much organic on it. However, if you don't put any time into it, you are really rolling the dice. My MCAT was filled with organic chemistry. I actually DID spend time with o-chem in my studying, took 3 quarters of o-chem with lab, and still had trouble. I don't think you necessarily NEED to take a formal organic class before the MCAT, so long as you put time into learning the basics of o-chem on your own. Basics include everything except memorizing all the mechanisms and reactions. Memorizing mechanisms and reactions is a waste of time. Your time would be better spent understanding concepts so you can apply them to ANY reaction.

Hope this helps.

As you are a current student I will give you my stats and ask what do you think my chances are?
CGPA: 3.6
SGPA:3.5
MCAT( Haven't taken but I've been scoring from 28-32
Extra Curriculars: Peer Mentor for at risk children ( 2 years),Habitat for Humanity ( 1 year), Alternative Spring Break( 2 years), MDA Camp sounselor
shadowing: 100 hours

Employment: Student Assistant ( 3 years), Bellhop ( 1 year),Tutor ( 3 years), Research Tech ( 1 year)

* got my name on a article

As you are a current student I will give you my stats and ask what do you think my chances are?
CGPA: 3.6
SGPA:3.5
MCAT( Haven't taken but I've been scoring from 28-32
Extra Curriculars: Peer Mentor for at risk children ( 2 years),Habitat for Humanity ( 1 year), Alternative Spring Break( 2 years), MDA Camp sounselor
shadowing: 100 hours

Employment: Student Assistant ( 3 years), Bellhop ( 1 year),Tutor ( 3 years), Research Tech ( 1 year)

* got my name on a article

First off, I was just accepted and haven't started yet. :)

Second, I think you have a great chance of getting in somewhere with these stats. For comparison, my GPA was around 3.4 with a 31 MCAT and I had 8 interview invites. Your GPA is higher and your MCAT range is similar.

Also, here is a link to the "Interview" thread. Take a look at what stats people are getting interviewed with. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...2014-2015-cycle.1085042/page-11#post-15786361

I see people on here regularly apply and gain acceptance with like 5+ W's. Most of them will tell you that it wasn't even brought up in the interview. I personally wouldn't give Adcoms some long-winded explanation about how you had to go out of town for an internship. It's kind of a weak excuse considering it's on you to let your instructor know when you'll be out of town. It also sounds like you're leaving something out. IF it is brought up, just be honest and say OChem was very difficult for you and it took you a couple tries and some growth in maturity to get it right. Don't make excuses. You'll be fine.

Not to meddle but what were your general reasons as how do you think my reasons sound. The first time I dropped I was unaware that my internship required me to be away from school. The second time I was taking two chemistries and trying to study for the MCAT. I dropped to have more time to study. Should I be this honest?

I guess it depends on the school. I dropped the first time because my professor didn't show up the first day of class and I panicked. The second time they'd changed textbooks and I was lost so I dropped and audited the first section again and came back and took it and did well.

I had >10 W's mostly in science classes, with a decent explanation. I got into 5 of the 6 schools I interviewed at. It wasn't an issue; in fact, I don't think I wasn't asked about it at any interview. I was kind of surprised actually but certainly not complaining! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I had >10 W's mostly in science classes, with a decent explanation. I got into 5 of the 6 schools I interviewed at. It wasn't an issue; in fact, I don't think I wasn't asked about it at any interview. I was kind of surprised actually but certainly not complaining! Good luck!
What was your explanation?

This is a big duh but 2 W's are way way better than 2 F's, or 2 D's for that matter. Don't sweat about it OP

Obviously Ws aren't great, but they're not the end of the world. I nearly failed first semester orgo (which I later retook and did fine) and had several Ws on my app.

I'm sure my 3.0 GPA hurt me at many schools, but in the end, it didn't prevent me from being granted IIs or being admitted into medical school. With that said, I think I had a successful cycle because I applied early, applied broadly, and had a lot of other positive things going on my app (tons of publications, a masters, wonderful recs, unique life experiences and ECs, etc.).

Just focus on strengthening your app to the best of your ability, apply early/broadly, and be honest with yourself and med schools about any academic blemishes you may have. Good luck!