I wonder if Pharmacy AdCom look at PCAT like Med School Adcoms.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueclassring

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From reading the MCAT message boards on this site, Med school admission committees prefer scores on the MCAT that are well-balanced. For example, scores of 8 in verbal, physical science, and biological science is preferred to an unbalanced score of 10, 10, 5.(Both add up to about a total of 25) It would be interesting to know how Pharm School adcoms look at the PCAT. Do they prefer an applicant that has balanced scores but a lower composite score than one that has unbalanced scores with a slightly higher composite? (i.e. Applicant A with scores in 90s earning a 90 composite vs Applicant B with scores all over the place(99 in math, 40 verbal, 50 reading, 88 bio, 93 chem with a 96 composite) These numbers are made up, but you see my point.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd imagine that they would. Having communicated with some pharmacy adcom members, they seem to want to have well-rounded people. It goes along with the idea of looking at the bigger picture and all the factors that comprise an individual's ability.

On the other hand, I might say that it could depend on the particular subjects that are scored high. I know that high scores Chemistry/Biology are especially valued, so if other sections are not that great, there wouldn't be too much to worry about.

Really though, it's so hard to say with so many pharm schools with different standards. Some pharmacy schools put a lot of emphasis on PCATs while some do not even require them. Then, there are those in the middle of that continuum who try to weight it out with other factors.

Anyway, noticed your avatar... flip priide!! haha j/k.

inocenciotj said:
I'd imagine that they would. Having communicated with some pharmacy adcom members, they seem to want to have well-rounded people. It goes along with the idea of looking at the bigger picture and all the factors that comprise an individual's ability.

On the other hand, I might say that it could depend on the particular subjects that are scored high. I know that high scores Chemistry/Biology are especially valued, so if other sections are not that great, there wouldn't be too much to worry about.

Really though, it's so hard to say with so many pharm schools with different standards. Some pharmacy schools put a lot of emphasis on PCATs while some do not even require them. Then, there are those in the middle of that continuum who try to weight it out with other factors.

Anyway, noticed your avatar... flip priide!! haha j/k.

I've ONLY heard of schools weighing PCAT and GPA equally like UK (50/50)
and schools in CA which don't even require the PCAT. I don't know of any pharm schools which gives the PCAT more weight. Please enlighten me.

There are some schools that accept people with <3.0 GPA because they were able to salvage themselves on the PCAT. Other schools might tend to look at performance more and would not do the same. In other words, the importance of the PCAT really shows in those situations, whereas other schools might not be so gracious based on the PCAT. This is actually partial speculation, but after talking to some candidates and their experiences with different schools, this could be the case. But, having never been on an admissions committee myself, I really don't have much authority to speak. :p