I Work As A Volunteer Dental Assistant In A Clinic!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zsy_lzy

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I Have Been Working In A Clininc As A Volunteer Dental Assistant For 3 Days... The Boss Said: If I Make Progress In Taking X-ray,,hang On The Phone,,do The Billing,,, ,and Then He Will Decide To Pay Me...
Is It Fair To Me??
I Am A Chinese Dentist..the Reason Why They Dont Pay Me Is That I Know Nothing ....
But I Am Satisfied,,cuz On The Third Day, I Have Learned How To Take The X-ray....
Any One Has The Experience The Same As Me????

Members don't see this ad.

zsy_lzy said:
I Have Been Working In A Clininc As A Volunteer Dental Assistant For 3 Days... The Boss Said: If I Make Progress In Taking X-ray,,hang On The Phone,,do The Billing,,, ,and Then He Will Decide To Pay Me...
Is It Fair To Me??
I Am A Chinese Dentist..the Reason Why They Dont Pay Me Is That I Know Nothing ....
But I Am Satisfied,,cuz On The Third Day, I Have Learned How To Take The X-ray....
why did u say u know nothing?u are a dentist in ur own country.I am sure u learnt how to take xrays aand all the other stuff that the dentist does himself.its good to volunteer but I am sure u can find a job where they will pay u good money too.most of the foreign dentists are working as paid ental assistants.and u said u have a SSN and a greeen card,then where is the problem??

Members don't see this ad :)
could you please tell me in which state are you working as a dental assistant??? because I live in new york and I have been working as a dental assistant for quite some time and at that time, I didn't even have a SSN or green card, and I am still getting payed in cash.So, I believe that your dentist in taking advantage of you.

Sorry if I said something that bothered you, but this is the truth.

Hi norikiri,
Do you have a work permit? Because if you dont have a work permit and you are being paid in cash, its illegal..be careful coz you and your dentist could get into trouble.

zsy_lzy said:
Is It Fair To Me??

Hi zsy_lzy,
as per ur post, u say that u r a VOLUNTEER dental assistant in a clinic...so if ur dentist says that he will pay after he sees some progress in ur job...i dont think he is wrong,,,bcoz when u joined him,since u said volunteer..i assume he did not commit to pay you...so i think its not right to say he is unfair to u. if the dentist had agreed to pay u when u joined...and now is not paying u...then he is unfair to u.
volunteers dont get paid!!!

clarification on the post of zsy_lzy. He applied for a dental assistant in new york. The dentist wants him to try - out for 3 days. And on the 3rd day he was told to continue working but he wont be paid until the time they see progress in his job. He didnt VOLUNTEER for the job, he applied for the job. I believe what zsy_lzy is trying to say is that do you guys think its fair for him to continue working in that particular clinic without pay.

enamelina said:
Hi zsy_lzy,
as per ur post, u say that u r a VOLUNTEER dental assistant in a clinic...so if ur dentist says that he will pay after he sees some progress in ur job...i dont think he is wrong,,,bcoz when u joined him,since u said volunteer..i assume he did not commit to pay you...so i think its not right to say he is unfair to u. if the dentist had agreed to pay u when u joined...and now is not paying u...then he is unfair to u.
volunteers dont get paid!!!

natdrea said:
clarification on the post of zsy_lzy. He applied for a dental assistant in new york. The dentist wants him to try - out for 3 days. And on the 3rd day he was told to continue working but he wont be paid until the time they see progress in his job. He didnt VOLUNTEER for the job, he applied for the job. I believe what zsy_lzy is trying to say is that do you guys think its fair for him to continue working in that particular clinic without pay.

oh ok.....its A HUGE CLARIFICATION indeed........the original post conveyed a completely different scenario.. that being the case,,, i think zsy_lzy should look out for other oppurtunities bcoz its totally unfair .
good luck zsy_lzy !!!

Another Option...........why don't you stick around for a month...learn the ropes....and then apply somewhere else that pays...then at least you can say that you are experienced as a DA....

zsy_lzy said:
Is It Fair To Me??

My opinion, stick there for about one week, you'll found you know almost everything a DA need to know. After that you can ask for a good payment if the dentist hasn't talked about it. Or you go get another position and be kindly thank the dentist for these days of free training because you may need their referral on the next job.

good luck!

Sarah123 said:
Another Option...........why don't you stick around for a month...learn the ropes....and then apply somewhere else that pays...then at least you can say that you are experienced as a DA....

I agree with Sarah... Stick around for a month ... learn everything you can, ask him for a pay and if he doesn't pay you... look for another job. And as Xuhaifeng said don't have a grudge against this dentist because he has to refer you!!

i guess you should hang on for a week and ask him if he is going to pay.if he isnt then u can always get a paid job anywhere as u have green card.but if say that u can get to learn a lot here even if its for free then hang in there for longer and even if he doesnt pay you,its ok coz then u can ask him for a referral letter at least and someone else might hire you.

seems it's a HE so finding job as dental assistant would be pretty tough anyways working as volunteer dental assistant in general dentist office if he is a general dentist is not sane cause you would not learn alot when. I came to contry i found job in an oral surgeon office for $18/h and when I was quiting he wanted to even give me rais .any how I recomend to quit your job if you are in New york you can find a real job soon :luck:

norikiri said:
could you please tell me in which state are you working as a dental assistant??? because I live in new york and I have been working as a dental assistant for quite some time and at that time, I didn't even have a SSN or green card, and I am still getting payed in cash.So, I believe that your dentist in taking advantage of you.

Sorry if I said something that bothered you, but this is the truth.
i work in Flushing,,new york...where do you work??because my english listening is not so good,,,so they treat me as a volunteer..maybe thats the reason why they dont pay me....
do you speak good english??

Sarah123 said:
thanks for your advice...now i have learned how to take the xray of bw and pa...now they teach me how to do the billing...

xuhaifeng said:
My opinion, stick there for about one week, you'll found you know almost everything a DA need to know. After that you can ask for a good payment if the dentist hasn't talked about it. Or you go get another position and be kindly thank the dentist for these days of free training because you may need their referral on the next job.

good luck!
thank you!!!last time i have called you...hehe..
i will stick there and learn everything...
there i learn my english too....

g3k said:
I agree with Sarah... Stick around for a month ... learn everything you can, ask him for a pay and if he doesn't pay you... look for another job. And as Xuhaifeng said don't have a grudge against this dentist because he has to refer you!!
thank you!!!!

mamadent said:
i guess you should hang on for a week and ask him if he is going to pay.if he isnt then u can always get a paid job anywhere as u have green card.but if say that u can get to learn a lot here even if its for free then hang in there for longer and even if he doesnt pay you,its ok coz then u can ask him for a referral letter at least and someone else might hire you.
thank you!!!

BABAK kabab said:
seems it's a HE so finding job as dental assistant would be pretty tough anyways working as volunteer dental assistant in general dentist office if he is a general dentist is not sane cause you would not learn alot when. I came to contry i found job in an oral surgeon office for $18/h and when I was quiting he wanted to even give me rais .any how I recomend to quit your job if you are in New york you can find a real job soon :luck:
thank you,,but i still want to hold on for severay weeks...

natdrea said:
thank you!!
best of luck!!