I would like some advice on what to do next

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ale0

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I'm currently taking a break this semester and have completed my prereqs for applying for my community college's Dental Hygiene program. The next application is for Jan 2022. I've also taken extra courses because the DH program offers a Dual program with a university so I can also get a BS while I work on my Associates in DH. So basically I'm done with my classes since the fall. That's why I took this semester off.

But I need some advice on what to do from now on. The DH application requires 2 reference forms from an employer/educator. I've been a full-time student ever since I started college (I'm 21) so I don't have any work experience. My only option is to ask two professors. Unfortunately, I wasted time during these past years in college just doing my work instead of building relationships with my professors to easily get reference forms. I'm an introvert and have social anxiety since elementary school. I can talk to my friends and family easily but when it comes to talking in public, I struggle. I'm just really shy and have a quiet voice. It's my fault since I could have applied for January of this year If I had built relationships already. But I didn't. My mother is upset with me that I'm wasting time right now and has told me before to overcome it and make conversations with my professors but I didn't listen. It's not easy when you've always been like this all your life and you just suddenly have to get out of that. But I'm determined to fight through it and work on overcoming my social anxiety,

I'm thinking of taking extra courses next fall semester just to build some relationships with professors to get my reference forms. But I'm not sure.

Or should I instead start taking courses in the fall to become a Dental assistant which would take about a year and a half to become an RDA? (later on, I can apply for DH)

What do y'all recommend me to do during this time I have free??

Members don't see this ad.

First thing I’d suggest is emailing every single professor for whose class you received an A in whether you had a relationship with them or not. Politely explain that you are applying to a DH program and a letter of rec is required. Explain that you excelled in their class and demonstrated XYZ and that a letter from them would illustrate your Academic capabilities, leadership/teamwork skills, character etc best. Provide an outline or notes about your involvement in the class (Specific examples) because obviously the professor has no idea who you are and needs something to write. Tell them you would appreciate their support immensely. Don’t make any excuses about why you didn’t formulate a relationship during school. Don’t even bring it up tbh. Also it’s good practice to give them at least 4-6 weeks (minimum!) to write the letter. Many professors will ghost you/make excuses as it is and you have a Lower chance of getting a letter if you don’t give them enough time to write it.

based on how many professors you have to email, you could get lucky and find two professors nice enough to write it and apply this year. It’s doubtful though. And it’ll be hard to get a really strong one; but I imagine that’s not as important for DH.

but overall this is not likely. It’s worth a try but you should simultaneously be preparing for plan B. Which for me would be enrolling in a few classes next semester and doing everything in your power to get the letters. I’d even explain your situation early on in the semester (Week 1/2) during office hours and go over expectations with the professor. Ask what the professors policy is on LORs and what do they expect to see out of you to write one. Consistently go to office hours and try to exceed all expectations. Excel in the class, go out of your way to help your fellow peers, take on leadership roles in projects etc. Ask for the letter towards the end of the semester when the prof remembers you most. and because you established early on you needed a letter and the prof was receptive and you made effort, this should be easy to secure.

This is just my advice though. My friend was in a similar position as you (introvert, no relationships with professors, parents mad) but did everything I listed and successfully matriculated to dental school the following year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
First thing I’d suggest is emailing every single professor for whose class you received an A in whether you had a relationship with them or not. Politely explain that you are applying to a DH program and a letter of rec is required. Explain that you excelled in their class and demonstrated XYZ and that a letter from them would illustrate your Academic capabilities, leadership/teamwork skills, character etc best. Provide an outline or notes about your involvement in the class (Specific examples) because obviously the professor has no idea who you are and needs something to write. Tell them you would appreciate their support immensely. Don’t make any excuses about why you didn’t formulate a relationship during school. Don’t even bring it up tbh. Also it’s good practice to give them at least 4-6 weeks (minimum!) to write the letter. Many professors will ghost you/make excuses as it is and you have a Lower chance of getting a letter if you don’t give them enough time to write it.

based on how many professors you have to email, you could get lucky and find two professors nice enough to write it and apply this year. It’s doubtful though. And it’ll be hard to get a really strong one; but I imagine that’s not as important for DH.

but overall this is not likely. It’s worth a try but you should simultaneously be preparing for plan B. Which for me would be enrolling in a few classes next semester and doing everything in your power to get the letters. I’d even explain your situation early on in the semester (Week 1/2) during office hours and go over expectations with the professor. Ask what the professors policy is on LORs and what do they expect to see out of you to write one. Consistently go to office hours and try to exceed all expectations. Excel in the class, go out of your way to help your fellow peers, take on leadership roles in projects etc.

This is just my advice though. My friend was in a similar position as you (introvert, no relationships with professors, parents mad) but did everything I listed and successfully matriculated to dental school the following year.
Actually, the application provides 2 reference forms to give out so the only thing that the professor has to do is fill the blanks and checkboxes. It's not an actual letter they have to write. But I'll still take your advice as a guide!

By the way, do you think it would be alright to ask again for a reference form from a professor?? Back in the fall of 2019, I asked my microbiology prof (had her both lec and lab) and she accepted to do it (it was at the end of the semester when I asked). I got a B in her class though but I guess that's still ok.
I was actually planning to apply for DH in jan 2020 but I changed my mind to take extra classes. So I never contacted my prof again.

Would it be safe to ask her again? I'm a bit worried she might not accept since I asked before. Maybe not remember me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, the application provides 2 reference forms to give out so the only thing that the professor has to do is fill the blanks and checkboxes. It's not an actual letter they have to write. But I'll still take your advice as a guide!

By the way, do you think it would be alright to ask again for a reference form from a professor?? Back in the fall of 2019, I asked my microbiology prof (had her both lec and lab) and she accepted to do it (it was at the end of the semester when I asked). I got a B in her class though but I guess that's still ok.
I was actually planning to apply for DH in jan 2020 but I changed my mind to take extra classes. So I never contacted my prof again.

Would it be safe to ask her again? I'm a bit worried she might not accept since I asked before. Maybe not remember me.
If that’s the case then that works in your favor a bit. I’d still email every professor and politely ask them if they would be willing to fill out the reference form.

yeah I think that’s fine to email her. Briefly remind her of yourself again; that you had her class during Fall 2019 and had previously requested a letter of reference that she agreed to fill out. Tell her you have finally completed all pre-reqs and that you will be applying to DH school this year. Ask her if she would still be willing to fill out the form and support your application to DH school. Express lots of gratitude and add a sentence or two expressing interest in her life (hoping she has been safe/healthy and/or inquiring about stuff you remember talking about in 2019). Obviously everyone’s different but I think there’s a high likelihood she will do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone :)

I'm currently taking a break this semester and have completed my prereqs for applying for my community college's Dental Hygiene program. The next application is for Jan 2022. I've also taken extra courses because the DH program offers a Dual program with a university so I can also get a BS while I work on my Associates in DH. So basically I'm done with my classes since the fall. That's why I took this semester off.

But I need some advice on what to do from now on. The DH application requires 2 reference forms from an employer/educator. I've been a full-time student ever since I started college (I'm 21) so I don't have any work experience. My only option is to ask two professors. Unfortunately, I wasted time during these past years in college just doing my work instead of building relationships with my professors to easily get reference forms. I'm an introvert and have social anxiety since elementary school. I can talk to my friends and family easily but when it comes to talking in public, I struggle. I'm just really shy and have a quiet voice. It's my fault since I could have applied for January of this year If I had built relationships already. But I didn't. My mother is upset with me that I'm wasting time right now and has told me before to overcome it and make conversations with my professors but I didn't listen. It's not easy when you've always been like this all your life and you just suddenly have to get out of that. But I'm determined to fight through it and work on overcoming my social anxiety,

I'm thinking of taking extra courses next fall semester just to build some relationships with professors to get my reference forms. But I'm not sure.

Or should I instead start taking courses in the fall to become a Dental assistant which would take about a year and a half to become an RDA? (later on, I can apply for DH)

What do y'all recommend me to do during this time I have free??
please also work on your social anxiety and introversion
dental hygiene requires you to be outgoing and concerned for the patient's health and well-being
you will also have to deal with difficult patients...

If that’s the case then that works in your favor a bit. I’d still email every professor and politely ask them if they would be willing to fill out the reference form.

yeah I think that’s fine to email her. Briefly remind her of yourself again; that you had her class during Fall 2019 and had previously requested a letter of reference that she agreed to fill out. Tell her you have finally completed all pre-reqs and that you will be applying to DH school this year. Ask her if she would still be willing to fill out the form and support your application to DH school. Express lots of gratitude and add a sentence or two expressing interest in her life (hoping she has been safe/healthy and/or inquiring about stuff you remember talking about in 2019). Obviously everyone’s different but I think there’s a high likelihood she will do it.
Hopefully she does! Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it :)