Jul 31, 2010
USA
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I am currently a high school senior. I have pretty good grades, gpa is 3.64/4.0 with honor and two AP classes. but my SAT scores are low, 1220/1600, 1830/2400

also, i would have to apply to pharmacy schools one state away and would have to live there and I am just not ready for that. I have never been away from my parents for more than a weekend. I realize that it's time to grow up but i can't just make that leap in one jump.

So my plan is to get a bachelors of chemistry degree in Rutgers new brunswick, which is 40 minutes from my house so i'll probably have to dorm. and seeing as how it's a large, diverse campus, i hope that it will help me get out of my shell. and then I will apply to pharmacy school in pennsylvania/new york/ plus a new one that i hear is opening for fall 2012 in new jersey (fairleigh dickinson)

meimei29

You're as sweet as TT
10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2009
Chicago
Status
Pharmacy Student
It sounds like you have a solid plan, with good reasons as well. The worst you could do is to mess up undergrad because of difficulty adjusting and such. Everyone has different backgrounds and relationships with their parents, and I definitely can understand how it's more comforting to stay close to home.

Additionally, many students I know now who have a bachelor's do tend to have developed in maturity, leadership, confidence, etc. much more than people who perhaps people who did a guaranteed pharmacy program starting from high school. Some of that also comes with age, too. Getting a bachelor's will only strengthen your application and enhance your own personal life experiences.

While in college, definitely try to get out of your shell.. :] .. and push yourself to get involved in extracurricular activities (but of course, balancing this well with your academics). You'll learn a lot in school from classes, but there are a ton of experiences and opportunities to develop yourself as a person in extracurriculars, too.

Jul 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I'm not really sure I know what your question is?

You have 3+ years of undergrad ahead of you; and you WILL change as a person. Many people go into the college experience a bit timid, but as long as you make an effort to make friends, connections, and be involved, you will be fine.

By the time pharmacy school rolls around, if it is something you truly want for yourself, moving to another state will not be as big a problem as you are making it out to be.

OP

Jul 31, 2010
USA
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I was just asking what people thought about my plans. I am quite timid and shy of people. I have a hard time getting close to people because out of the few that I have trusted, they all moved away from me.

1TB4RKSB4CK

wussup doge
5+ Year Member
May 6, 2010
Miami
Status
Pre-Medical
You have bunch of years ahead of you, once you get accepted they won't care for any high school lgrades/SAT/ACT.

bacillus1

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
1830 isn't even all that low. I think that's just a bit below average for what USP accepted back when I was applying, not sure about now as I only see stats up to 2007.

OP

Jul 31, 2010
USA
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
yeah but i'm saying it's a bit low for going into a 0-6 pharmacy program. that's why I'm not doing it, also the fact that all of those programs are too far away from home for me. i don't feel ready for that yet.

xtreem2110

10+ Year Member
May 27, 2008
Stockton
Status
Pharmacy Student
Seems to me you already know what you want but want to hear it from others. I can relate to your situation. You know you are not ready to move away quite yet. The last thing you want to do is experiment living on your own away from your family while trying to manage the stress of pharmacy school. I say don't rush it. Go to undergrad, aside from learning how to be independent, your undergraduate years will be amongst the best of your life. not that college is like all the movies, its not Animal House or American Pie (well it wasn't for me atleast). LOL. You will make friends, learn how to network, and become your own person. Go to college, gain experience, do well in your classes and apply to pharmacy school ur senior year. Family tends to pressure your decisions because they want to finish ASAP, but thats not always for the best. By the time u finish undergrad you will be used to living on ur own and be a master of it in pharmacy school and thatll be one less thing you have to worry about.

GOODLUCK!!

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
Seems to me you already know what you want but want to hear it from others. I can relate to your situation. You know you are not ready to move away quite yet. The last thing you want to do is experiment living on your own away from your family while trying to manage the stress of pharmacy school. I say don't rush it. Go to undergrad, aside from learning how to be independent, your undergraduate years will be amongst the best of your life. not that college is like all the movies, its not Animal House or American Pie (well it wasn't for me atleast). LOL. You will make friends, learn how to network, and become your own person. Go to college, gain experience, do well in your classes and apply to pharmacy school ur senior year. Family tends to pressure your decisions because they want to finish ASAP, but thats not always for the best. By the time u finish undergrad you will be used to living on ur own and be a master of it in pharmacy school and thatll be one less thing you have to worry about.

GOODLUCK!!
It's funny you mention that, because it's true undergrad is so much better than high school. Your classmates will be more mature and in general you will find it much easier to get along with people. Less childishness. You will grow and mature as well. When you do interact with high schoolers (family, friends, w/e) again you will be amazed at the difference, it will be hard for you to believe you were ever like that.

Then you get into pharmacy school and you are back to being in high school. You will be in a small class of people where everyone knows everyone's business. (Pharmacy school is still much better than high school though, but it is like taking a step back in terms of the overall experience.) You get back to excessive gossip, rumors, etc. :laugh: