i would like to be like Harry R. Jacobson ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

generalss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello guys i'm happy to be in SDN‏
i have big question and i need answer for that ....
i'm medical student in 3rd year .
i would like to be like Harry R. Jacobson, M.D. and William N. Kelley, M.D. and ivor royston M.d Can I ?
all of them are md and researcher, scientist, entrepreneur
how can i get all these position i mean medicine and entrepreneurship ..
and you ask my now ...why
well i want to be effective in treatment of patient for e.g normal physician spend around 50-100 hour weekly and no big effective but those guys can make more effect on patient by discovering new drug even if they dies their help doesn't stop

i know i took too much but what i should to do this ??

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know, be a good politician first and ambitious second. I met Dr. Jacobson, and he seems like a good man. He just had a good idea and went with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Read Arrowsmith and you would see why I think anyone who is a researcher, md, and entrepreneur, is really just an entrerpeneur in the end.

But, if you really wanted to do it, you would have to get an MD, then a PhD, then an MBA, work at an institute or some independent group of labs with NIH funding (not a university, mind you) for a couple years and publish a somewhat respected paper, work your way to the top, make friends with people who have lots of money they want to give to science research, and then start your own institute.

Alternatively, you might be able to go to some rich Asian country such as Singapore to fast track this route but I'm assuming you wanted to pursue your career in America.

thank you all

but what do you think the max time to start my own institute ?
it seemed to be long journey ...

You have to start your institute within two years of completing medical school, otherwise you're falling behind all of us other MD/PhD/Ent.Ds out there.

Of course the OP could strive to be like Cecil Jacobson, MD. He ran his own "enterprise" too.