I would like to take this moment ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tezzie

b*witched
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
... and thank American Airlines for losing my luggage at 11:00 PM Sunday night, just a few hours before my interview at 8:00 AM on Monday morning.

Yes my worst nightmare came alive and now my life is complete.

Tezzie

PS. No there is no sign of my luggage as of right now.

Members don't see this ad.

As a frequent flyer, I will tell anyone to never check-in luggage if you don't have to. Besides bad service and not giving a crap about passengers, airlines have a strange affinity for losing stuff. If you are going away for a long time and have several pieces, then you have no choice. However, if you are staying only overnight, bring only enough so you can carry all onboard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Tezzie
... and thank American Airlines for losing my luggage at 11:00 PM Sunday night, just a few hours before my interview at 8:00 AM on Monday morning.

Yes my worst nightmare came alive and now my life is complete.

Tezzie

PS. No there is no sign of my luggage as of right now.

I had that happen to me as well, on a differnet airline. It sat in St. Louis for a week before arriving in my grubby hands. To bad I was leaving the day after it arrived.

make sure your outfit for your interview is in your carry on stuff though.

By the way, I missed a connecting flight before my past interview, luckily there was one more flight to catch that night otherwise I would have been screwed (I was flying from East coast to West coast..).

i always carry my interview clothes on the plane with me. that should be on the checklist of TO DO's for interviwing

I had 4 interviews (yes one after the other). I had taken 3 different sets of interview clothes and 2 pairs of shoes for them. I also took 2 dresses for when i was to go out at night and a few casual clothes along with make up etc etc. When u plan on spending 5 days in another city and having 4 interviews you need more.

I ended up having to call my best friend from highschool who attends NYU and having her come to my parents place at 2:00 AM with clothes that could fit me. I was so tense that i didn't sleep at all.

I was so psyched about my NYC interviews and this situation just made it the worst experience so far :(

I think you can get a fat wad of cash for lost luggage (from the airline that is)

Originally posted by Tezzie
I had 4 interviews (yes one after the other). I had taken 3 different sets of interview clothes and 2 pairs of shoes for them. I also took 2 dresses for when i was to go out at night and a few casual clothes along with make up etc etc. When u plan on spending 5 days in another city and having 4 interviews you need more.

I ended up having to call my best friend from highschool who attends NYU and having her come to my parents place at 2:00 AM with clothes that could fit me. I was so tense that i didn't sleep at all.

I was so psyched about my NYC interviews and this situation just made it the worst experience so far :(

This happened to me for my VAnderbilt interview only I got it in time. The admissions office was really friendly and said if I didn't get it in time it would not matter.

Geez, what a horror story!!

I think I'll put my suit in one of those garment carriers and take that on with me. I wasn't worried about it until now. I usually hate carrying stuff on because it's so cumbersome and annoying and you hit people with it as you walk down the aisle....I guess that's my own personal problem though, huh?

;)

PS. IT was also American Airlines and my first and only time using them. Go Northwest!

something exactly like this happened to my friend and he had to go out and buy a suit over there without getting it fitted. it was a mess.

he told me before my first interview to buy one of those suit holder thingies that you can put your suit shoes socks ties etc... in and just carry it on. never ever check in. if you need to he says you are prolly taking too much and he was right. All my other walk around clothes i just fit into my backpack for my other carryon.

but yeah talk to the airline and get your damn money or luggage back. but its not the end of the world. just a lesson you learn for your other interviews.

I interviewed at U of Hawaii last week, and something similar happened to a girl also interviewing. We had the student tour together, and she was saying that her baggage was lost and her interviews were the next day.

She was wearing a really cute button-up top and some brown pants, and she said she'd have to wear that to the interview. Luckily, it's Hawaii, so all of the interviewers wear aloha shirts and khakis anyhow.

In any case, yes, please pack the essentials in your carry-on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two words "TUMI tri-fold" it has saved my life. It is by far the best carry-on yes, somewhat pricey but looks nice and the clothes does not wrinkle and awesome size for folks under 5 feet.....like myself he he. I just flat refuse to check bags, if I have more than one interview I will just wear the same suit and hope for the best. Good luck Tezzie!

efex,
where did u get that TUMI bag?

and good luck tezzie! i'm sure you'll do great!

actually $295 isnt that bad when you consider that their wheeled carry-on is $575 :laugh: no, seriously, i thought it would be more.... (still cant afford it tho)

Hey guys I got the TUMI online at their website tumi.com I know it is not cheap *but* dang you are going in-style bam! just kidding. It was recommended to me by flight attendants, pilots, and people that just fly a lot very durable. Not a problem and the shoulder strap is nice and wide does not dig in...my suit fits perfectly and the bag does not go past my knees (I am vertically challenged though...) when I carry it, priceless.

Hey, the cheapest TUMI on wheels is over $500! I want the travel vest! What the....?

Originally posted by trudgingalong
actually $295 isnt that bad when you consider that their wheeled carry-on is $575 :laugh: no, seriously, i thought it would be more.... (still cant afford it tho)

Uhh, I think I will double (or hey! triple) trashbag mine...It will be sleek, dark, and only $0.00. I wonder if they let hangers on the airplane....probably not metal ones, but plastic?

Originally posted by Outer Space
Uhh, I think I will double (or hey! triple) trashbag mine...It will be sleek, dark, and only $0.00. I wonder if they let hangers on the airplane....probably not metal ones, but plastic?

Here here!

if you place suits carefully in a duffel, w/plenty of space, do you think they'd get really wrinkled? i dont want to buy a garment bag and i'm too lazy to think of any alternatives...

Bringing your items along with you on the plane is so ghetto. I always get the impression that only rubes who haven't discovered the check-in counter yet do that.

Too bad about your luggage though.

apparently you havent experienced the fun of airlines losing your luggage...

That really sucks, Tez...I feel for you.

I was planning on cramming all my stuff into one GIGANTIC suitcase and checking it. Seriously, this suitcase is big enough to fit me into it! But now I'm having second thoughts...

For those of you who haven't discovered these little travel tricks yet:

If you get clothing that has a small amount of spandex in the fiber content (like stuff that is "stretch") it will tend to wrinkle less.

An entire dress, dress shirt, or pair of pants can be transported in a tote bag wrinkle free provided that you carefully ROLL them up. You have to be very careful to not roll wrinkles into the clothing, but it is possible if you take the time.

If you travel with a laptop, pack it in an easily accessible spot so you can quickly take it out and turn it on for airport security.

Wear flip-flops if at all possible to avoid having to take your shoes off for security.

Use the bathroom ~15 minutes before the airplane movie ends. You may miss a good scene or two, but believe me, you'll be happy you did 15 minutes later when everyone else tries to get to the bathroom.

Bon voyage!

Originally posted by lessismoe

Wear flip-flops if at all possible to avoid having to take your shoes off for security.

These are all great tips, but even if you wear flip-flops (as I'm so fond of doing), you'll still have to take off your shoes for the security check. I've had to go barefoot more than once. I think there was an article in The WashPost recently about people who get aggressive foot fungus infections at the airport -- even those with socks on! For the hypochondriacs out there, I suspect socks/sneakers are your best bet.

Just an airport security story I wanted to share.......

So I pass all the security checks and I get to the gate......
I have an hour so I take a small nap. I hear they are boarding so we all line up. I look tired and if any of you guys have seen 8 Mile.....i looked like rabbit with a beanie and a zipup hooded sweatshirt........

So as I give them my e-ticket 2 security people come out of nowhere and pull me aside. Letting everyone else pass through except me. They check me like I am some full on asian gangster and search through my carry ons with extreme detail.
I dont know if they were profiling but I didnt want to cause trouble by asking them why they did that to me.

But I didnt like it at all. They gave me a look and everything.

but yeah. i dont think they would have believed me if i said i was just going on a med school interview haha. but whatevs. just watned to share a story.