I would love some advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhyftu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I only just jumped onto this boat a few months ago. Becoming a doctor is a long time dream and I'm finally going for it.

But I don't really know the best course of action.

Quick details: I'm 25 and a paramedic and have an associates degree in it. I've worked on the ambulance for about 3 years and now I teach the EMT class at my local community college, I also used to work in the ER as a technician before that. My first year of college was terrible (like 2.5 almost all nonscience but lately I have been getting all As in chemistry physics and psych classes) though and my biggest set back. I live in a rural area and I am taking classes online at oregon state university along with some classes at the community college.

I'm getting a BS in Psychology and am taking physics and general chemistry at the community college. Im planning to take Orgo, and biochem along with biology requirements and the rest of the classes for my psych degree on campus at Oregon State University next year.

I don't have much for research yet. I volunteer in the ER here and at the high school tutoring chemistry. and I have met with my Pre-med adviser but she was zero help.

How much to medical schools like the Paramedic and EMT instructor thing? Is psychology a good major? will my classes at the community college not look good and will they come back to haunt me? I have to finish all the pre-req classes along with my BS degree to apply to schools correct? Should I try and get into school clubs? What about scholarships? When should I try and take the MCAT? what is this I heard about applying through a committee? I basically have zero information and would love to hear suggestions and advice to make myself a good candidate other than GPA because that has been my primary focus up until now.

Members don't see this ad.

There are many questions here that could be threads of their own, so I will be brief.

Major: Absolutely nothing to do with anything, major in basketweaving if you want too. Just make sure you take all required pre-reqs and knock them out of the park.

Work Experience: I do not serve on any ADCOM boards so I cannot give you a 100% on this while others may be able too. But any experience is better than none. Paramedic's are a functioning part of the medical field, with good levels of exposure. Is it going to make you the best candidate in the lot? No probably not, but something is better than nothing.

Community College: This is often talked about on here, which has some levels of controversy. Many peoples argument is that they can't afford University courses so CC college is the only way for them to go. That is fine and understandable. The problem is when people go back and forth and take courses that are known to have increased levels of difficulty at CC colleges. As long as you finish with a 4 year Bachelor degree, I don't personally think it has affect for 99% of schools. BUT if you are gunning for Harvard or Yale, then yes CC courses will not work in your favor.

Degree: Yes you need a degree to get into medical school. Some schools have proficiency expectations and have dropped "pre-reqs". Don't be fooled, you must take all your pre-reqs, this will also be vital when it comes time to take the MCAT.

I'm going to bunch the last couple questions together:

Joins clubs, do stuff, be somebody. Yes if there are opportunities to join something and be apart of something, do it. You are presenting yourself to a school, to an admissions committee. The more you have done will help you in the long run. There is a reason that certain things outside of Academia are required to get into medical schools. Many before have said it better than I but, robots don't make good doctors. A application is a piece of paper(s) that defines you, what do you want it to say? Get involved in your community, help those that can't help themselves. Shadow the people that fascinate you, understand what the life is really like. Get the best grades you can and kill the MCAT. I'll leave anything else to those on here that are much much wiser than I.

Get this book:

Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring
by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627
ISBN-10: 1607140624

Alright, I only just jumped onto this boat a few months ago. Becoming a doctor is a long time dream and I'm finally going for it.

But I don't really know the best course of action.

Quick details: I'm 25 and a paramedic and have an associates degree in it. I've worked on the ambulance for about 3 years and now I teach the EMT class at my local community college, I also used to work in the ER as a technician before that. My first year of college was terrible (like 2.5 almost all nonscience but lately I have been getting all As in chemistry physics and psych classes) though and my biggest set back. I live in a rural area and I am taking classes online at oregon state university along with some classes at the community college.

I'm getting a BS in Psychology and am taking physics and general chemistry at the community college. Im planning to take Orgo, and biochem along with biology requirements and the rest of the classes for my psych degree on campus at Oregon State University next year.

I don't have much for research yet. I volunteer in the ER here and at the high school tutoring chemistry. and I have met with my Pre-med adviser but she was zero help.

How much to medical schools like the Paramedic and EMT instructor thing? Is psychology a good major? will my classes at the community college not look good and will they come back to haunt me? I have to finish all the pre-req classes along with my BS degree to apply to schools correct? Should I try and get into school clubs? What about scholarships? When should I try and take the MCAT? what is this I heard about applying through a committee? I basically have zero information and would love to hear suggestions and advice to make myself a good candidate other than GPA because that has been my primary focus up until now.